Uniform firmware for many devices - ArcticFox + NFirmwareEditor

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreeZen

Jul 30, 2016
USA
I'd like to share my thoughts after using NFE Toolbox with ArcticFox firmware on iStick Pico mod for 2 days. I also have few dna devices so I compare against them.

1. Profiles.
- ArcticFox offers 8 profiles that could be named and fully customized. ArcticFox allows user to disable unused profiles to make selection quicker.
- ArcticFox allows to select preheat power in watts or relative percentage or choose customized curve (curves are using percentage too). I found it very useful and prefer it to dna implementation. Relative option automatically recalculates preheat power based on provided percentage. Much more useful then DNA version where you need to adjust preheat power every time when you change main power settings.

2. Screen customization is excellent and similar to DNA.

3. TCR curves. I imported custom curves I use on my DNA devices into ArcticFox and they work fine. The feeling is exactly the same how these curves work on my DNA devices.

4. ArcticFox allows you to choose what menu you get when you click fire button 2,3, or 4 times. Great and very useful feature. For instance, in the temp control mode I choose 2 clicks to change from Temp dominant to Power dominant display. It allows me to adjust both Temperature and Power very fast and easy.

5. Device monitor is well implemented in NFE Toolbox and as useful as DNA version.

6. Firmware update utility works with no issues.

I only found one feature that did't work for me. I couldn't lock resistance on the device itself. It works if I use computer, but on the device it doesn't. I did try to follow instructions posted on their forum, but instead of locking resistance it keeps changing display modes.

It would be great if ArcticFox allowed user to assign "Lock Resistance" option in "Controls" screen menu. Perhaps, adding ability to customize Fire+"Plus" and Fire+"Minus" would be useful as well.

Overall I'm very impressed with this software and want to thank developers for their contribution to vaping community.

Dreamject

Dec 15, 2016
I couldn't lock resistance on the device itself. It works if I use computer, but on the device it doesn't. I did try to follow instructions posted on their forum, but instead of locking resistance it keeps changing display modes.
There is two ways to lock resistance.

First and most short - you could go to "screen edit" mode

Then with minus button you should chose resistance (it should blink). And press "plus".

Another way in profile setting - you could not "lock" resistance, but you could change resistance. If you change it - it locks.

• Informative
Reactions: 52anddone

FreeZen

Jul 30, 2016
USA
There is two ways to lock resistance.

First and most short - you could go to "screen edit" mode

Then with minus button you should chose resistance (it should blink). And press "plus".

Another way in profile setting - you could not "lock" resistance, but you could change resistance. If you change it - it locks.

Thank you! Option 1 is changing display value from resistance to volts, etc but doesn't lock it. Option 2 works fine. However, it won't unlock it, right?

Dreamject

Dec 15, 2016
Thank you! Option 1 is changing display value from resistance to volts, etc but doesn't lock it. Option 2 works fine. However, it won't unlock it, right?
Hmm... May be you changed infoline? I can't say you exatly solution, but there is two way for resistance displaing. Default: when you see like 0.xx ohm. If you click on it, you will change ohm symbol to lock.

If you see 0.xxx (with 3 digit after point) it's more attractive, but you can not change it to lock.

FreeZen

Jul 30, 2016
USA
Hmm... May be you changed infoline? I can't say you exatly solution, but there is two way for resistance displaing. Default: when you see like 0.xx ohm. If you click on it, you will change ohm symbol to lock.

If you see 0.xxx (with 3 digit after point) it's more attractive, but you can not change it to lock.

I did change resistance display to last temperature. I found last temperature and last power useful to know how my RDA build performs. If I change display back to resistance then it works.

Falco78

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 29, 2014
United States
I'd like to share my thoughts after using NFE Toolbox with ArcticFox firmware on iStick Pico mod for 2 days. I also have few DNA devices so I compare against them.

1. Profiles.
- ArcticFox offers 8 profiles that could be named and fully customized. ArcticFox allows user to disable unused profiles to make selection quicker.
- ArcticFox allows to select preheat power in watts or relative percentage or choose customized curve (curves are using percentage too). I found it very useful and prefer it to DNA implementation. Relative option automatically recalculates preheat power based on provided percentage. Much more useful then DNA version where you need to adjust preheat power every time when you change main power settings.

2. Screen customization is excellent and similar to DNA.

3. TCR curves. I imported custom curves I use on my DNA devices into ArcticFox and they work fine. The feeling is exactly the same how these curves work on my DNA devices.

4. ArcticFox allows you to choose what menu you get when you click fire button 2,3, or 4 times. Great and very useful feature. For instance, in the temp control mode I choose 2 clicks to change from Temp dominant to Power dominant display. It allows me to adjust both Temperature and Power very fast and easy.

5. Device monitor is well implemented in NFE Toolbox and as useful as DNA version.

6. Firmware update utility works with no issues.

I only found one feature that did't work for me. I couldn't lock resistance on the device itself. It works if I use computer, but on the device it doesn't. I did try to follow instructions posted on their forum, but instead of locking resistance it keeps changing display modes.

It would be great if ArcticFox allowed user to assign "Lock Resistance" option in "Controls" screen menu. Perhaps, adding ability to customize Fire+"Plus" and Fire+"Minus" would be useful as well.

Overall I'm very impressed with this software and want to thank developers for their contribution to vaping community.
What TFR values were used by you on what kind of build? This is one thing still haven't figured out

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

FreeZen

Jul 30, 2016
USA
What TFR values were used by you on what kind of build? This is one thing still haven't figured out

I use regular SS316L wire with my own version of csv curve file. It's attached. (remove .txt at the end). Under Advanced/Materials tabs I uploaded it to [TFR] 316L. You can rename it if you like. Then choose material name you used under profiles. Save and upload it to the device when you are done.

Attachments

• SS_316L Custom.csv.txt
    132 bytes · Views: 69

Falco78

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 29, 2014
United States
I use regular SS316L wire with my own version of csv curve file. It's attached. (remove .txt at the end). Under Advanced/Materials tabs I uploaded it to [TFR] 316L. You can rename it if you like. Then choose material name you used under profiles. Save and upload it to the device when you are done.
Thanks so much!

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Hello) Want to give you some information about custom firmware, some dude makes it. This firmware gives you TONS of features, like profiles, advanced TC, screen brightness control and a lot of.

Official site: NFE Team

For using you should download NFE ToolBox (firmware updater and tweaker) and ArcticFox - there is firmware for flashing. There is exist nightly build (and release candidate) and stable versions, I use RC.

If you have a question - I'll try to answer)

Official Reade
NFirmwareEditor + NFE Toolbox
Supported OS: Windows 7 and higher.

Nightly build:

NFirmwareEditor
NFirmwareEditor is a firmware editor and updater for vaping devices from Joyetech, Wismec, Eleaf, Vaporflask, such as:

• Joyetech: eVic VTC Mini, eVic VTwo, eVic VTwo Mini, eVic AIO, eVic Basic, Cuboid, Cuboid Mini, eGrip II;
  • Eleaf: iStick TC100W, iStick TC200W, iStick Pico, iStick Pico Mega, iStick Power, ASTER;
  • Wismec: Reuleaux RX200, RX200S, RX2/3, Presa TC75W;
  • Vaporflask: Lite, Classic, Stout;
  • Beyondvape Centurion
Сapabilities
  • Image Editor;
  • String Editor;
  • Patcher / Patch Manager;
  • Resource Pack(s) import / export;
  • Advanced Tools: Firmware ecryptor/decryptor, Patch creator, Firmware updater;
NFirmwareEditor – Main application window

NFirmwareEditor – Firmware Updater

NFE Toolbox
NFE Toolbox is a companion application, that was designed especially for the ArcticFox firmware.

Capabilities
  • ArcticFox firmware configuration Utility;
  • myEvic firmware configuration Utility has not yet been developed, but it is planned;
  • Device Monitor, compatible with both: ArcticFox and myEvic firmwares;
  • Screenshooter Utility, compatible with both: ArcticFix and myEvic firmwares;
  • Firmware Updater, universal for all Joyetech, Wismec, Eleaf, etc devices;
  • Automatic time synchronization when connecting devices, compatible with bot: ArcticFox and myEvic firmwares;
  • Automatic startup with Windows;
NFE Toolbox – ArcticFox Configuration Utility

NFE Toolbox – Device Monitor

NFE Toolbox – Screenshooter

Links

[Removed]

I hope it helps somebody. :)[/SIZE]

Why i created this: Toolbox is VERY cool stuff, but, in my opinion is very unpopular even in Russia. Also, it could be very hard for newbie. So, you can help this project)

I tried this stuff on 100W TC, because it have very unfriendly and long profile switcher, not I can manually set and edit coil resistance with accuracy 0.00x ohm (it helps for SS), can change voltage cut-off from ~3.3 to 3.0 vots, it shows clock, puff counter, live ohm-volt-amps and other things).
I put this firmware on a pico and a vtc mini a couple of days ago, enjoying the experience, and have a few questions. (So far I'm using the firmware to learn more about how i vape, not to change the way the mod performs.)

1. Is there documentation anywhere online describing more about what some of the features do? Trial and error for some features is slow. I only have access to a PC at work so changes via the tool box take longer

2. The clocks are not accurate on my devices but it appears there is a way to adjust accuracy. If I'm right about that how does it work?

3. Does the pre heat option function in temp control?

4. What do the battery presets actually change? If I choose a particular battery, like the LG HG2 what values is the firmware using and what what cutoff value is used? If i set that manually do you know the prudent voltage cutoff for the LG HG2 if I never go above 30 max watts? I've also got the firmware on a Pico Mega using a Basen 26650. What is the right battery preset for that at 30 max watts? I'm a bit nervous about fiddling with battery safety options.

Feature suggestions
1. Option to display seconds in the digital clock
2. Save accumulated watt hours and/or mAh similar to puffs time
3. Will there ever be an Android version?

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
1. No all in one place documentation I have found.... at this point I think they expect users are already familiar with these functions.

2. Don't need or want clock on my mod.. so don't use.

3. Yes.

4. Don't think presets have anything to do with wattage...... I thought it was just determining the low volt level.

You could submit you suggestions on the Arctic fox page... I doubt they will even consider those though.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

FreeZen

Jul 30, 2016
USA
I put this firmware on a pico and a vtc mini a couple of days ago, enjoying the experience, and have a few questions. (So far I'm using the firmware to learn more about how i vape, not to change the way the mod performs.)

1. Is there documentation anywhere online describing more about what some of the features do? Trial and error for some features is slow. I only have access to a PC at work so changes via the tool box take longer

2. The clocks are not accurate on my devices but it appears there is a way to adjust accuracy. If I'm right about that how does it work?

4. What do the battery presets actually change? If I choose a particular battery, like the LG HG2 what values is the firmware using and what what cutoff value is used? If i set that manually do you know the prudent voltage cutoff for the LG HG2 if I never go above 30 max watts? I've also got the firmware on a Pico Mega using a Basen 26650. What is the right battery preset for that at 30 max watts? I'm a bit nervous about fiddling with battery safety options.

Feature suggestions

1. The following link has some good info GitHub - maelstrom2001/ArcticFox: Custom Firmware for Joyetech, Wismec and Eleaf battery mods
You can check questions under "Issues" and you can ask yourself if you like.
2. There is a procedure to calibrate the clock. I don't need clock on my mod so I didn't try it.
3. Yes. It is similar to DNA. It controls how much power to apply to warm your coil.
4. Battery presets mostly needed to provide you with accurate percentage level. It's not about wattage, it measures battery voltage charge and tell you how much your battery is discharged.

Last edited:

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
1. The following link has some good info GitHub - maelstrom2001/ArcticFox: Custom Firmware for Joyetech, Wismec and Eleaf battery mods
You can check questions under "Issues" and you can ask yourself if you like.
2. There is a procedure to calibrate the clock. I don't need clock on my mod so I didn't try it.
3. Yes. It is similar to DNA. It controls how much power to apply to warm your coil.
4. Battery presets mostly needed to provide you with accurate percentage level. It's not about wattage, it measures battery voltage charge and tell you how much your battery is discharged.
Thanks for the feedback. The documentation explained a few things I hadn't figured out yet. The PI regulator looks interesting but there's not enough information to get started. The device defaults would be nice to know to have a starting point. From watching the screen display of puffs it appears the vtc mini is delivering power more smoothly and accurately than my pico (however that doesn't mean the vtc delivers a better puff, may be the reverse). At any rate I'll play around with the PI variables on the Pico once i know more about them. It doesn't help that I don't have a PC available at home to watch the real time display.

This firmware adds noticable value too my Pico and Vtc mini. I wonder why the manufacturers didn't offer this. I'm also a bit surprised there isn't more interest among participants on the forum. May be the active conversation about this firmware is happening on another forum?

Dreamject

Dec 15, 2016

Feature suggestions
Hey.
I'll try to help.
1. Yeah, you could read readme from ArcticFox/README.md at master · maelstrom2001/ArcticFox · GitHub , but i recommend use same Readme myevic/README.md at master · ClockSelect/myevic · GitHub . Also, AF has FAQ on Russian, there is google translate
Q: What ArcticFox / fox?
A: ArcticFox -
is custom firmware for the devices from the manufacturers: Joyetech, Wismec, Eleaf and some zabrendirovannyh devices: Vaporflask, Beyondvape, Vaponaute.

Q: What devices are supported?
A:
The list of supported devices and features description .

Q: custom firmware is safe?
A:
Absolutely. It is safe to flash and if you do not like it - revert easily to any other firmware.

Q: What NToolbox and why is it needed?
A: NToolbox -
a software package, which is needed to install ArcticFox, as well as it helps to reveal the full potential of your device and firmware. It includes flasher configurator ArcticFox, device monitoring, and utility for making screenshots.

Q: Where can ArcticFox download?
A:
Page stable releases ArcticFox .

Q: Where can download NToolbox?
A:
Page stable releases NFirmwareEditor / NToolbox .

Q: How to install ArcticFox?
A:
Install using NToolbox - guide the installation in English . Text little picture.

Q: Can I install ArcticFox proshivalschikom from the manufacturer?
A:
No.

Q: How to revert to the drain firmware version?
A:
Install any firmware for your device through any flasher.

Q: How to operate the device? What are keyboard shortcuts?
A:
Most of the large-screen combinations corresponds to the drain rom devices.

Q: What changed in the management?
A:
Edit the main screen is activated by 4 clicks Fire button (in the effluent was 3).

Q: Can I re-assign actions to button clicks Fire?
A:
Yes. Available to change 2, 3 or 4 clicks. Default: 2 - not assigned. 3- profile selection, 4 - to edit the home screen.

Q: How to block resistance to TK?
A:
Go to the home screen editing mode (4 Fire click), "-" button to choose the resistance and the "+" switch lock.

Q: How to enter the menu?
A:
Clamp Fire and +

Q: How to return to the previous menu item?
A:
Tighten the + and - or Fire, and -

Q: What are profiles? Where old regimes?
A:
Mode no. There are profiles. A profile is a named set of steaming settings, which includes the following: a spiral material (for VW - VW, for TC - all the rest), power, temperature, preheat settings, TC, resistance.

Q: What materials TFR?
A: TFR
is a more advanced version of the TCR, which allows for more precise work of TC. You can download ready-made graphics materials for DNA200 (for example with steam-engine.org) and import them or make your own.

Q: Where can Bypass?
A:
He is not as imported cheese. Why? There are a number of reasons:
1. ArcticFox supports more than 30 devices and bypass even on runoff firmware was not on all devices.
2. Bypass mode is not fur. fashion, all restrictions both resistance and voltage with current force remained in place.
3. Bypass on nashihh boards is emulation, in which the chain of magically disappeared not converters, and other components, which ultimately made exactly the same bypass varivattom with automatic calculation of power based on the resistance and the voltage on the battery with on the strength of current limitation.

Q: How to install a logo?
A:
The logo can be set via NFirmwareEditor: Tools -> Firmware Updater - > Logo.

Q: Rides at 0.1W power by pressing Fire, is this normal?
A:
Yes, after clicking on the Fire button, fashion shows power supplied in real time.

Q: Rides resistance within 5%, is this normal?
A:
The fee to the shunt can not be more precise, it will not Evolve DNA.

Q: What is X32?
A: X32 -
designation RTC module (Real Time Clock), this module is responsible for the correct course of hours when the device is asleep.

Q: On my device has RTC module / X32?
A:
If there is a clock in the firmware from the manufacturer - so there, otherwise not.

Q: Strongly rush hours, how to fix?
A:
If the RTC module is equipped with a mode, turn on the X32 in Settings -> Expert. If the RTC is not available, you can choose the RTC Speed in Settings -> RTC. For each unique value of fashion. Lower the value to 100, leave mod 30 minutes after, compare the time. Selection of the optimal value is possible only by trial and error. You can also enable LSL mode, then RTC Speed adjustment is not required.

Q: What is LSL?
A: LSL -
It's easy to sleep. Apparatus sleep, but not completely. It remains on the CPU, which ensures the correct course of hours.

Q: Does the clock affects power?
A:
Only if enabled LSL. If any other clock settings have no effect on energy consumption.

Q: Whether strongly increased power consumption during use LSL?
A:
No. Battery runs approximately 0.1-0.2 volts per day on odnobatareynyh devices.

Q: How to synchronize the time mode with a computer?
A:
Click on the taskbar (near the clock), right-click on the fox to put daw "Synchronize time when device is connected" .

Q: What is the nightly builds?
A:
Nightly build is available for public beta testing, which include new features or any other changes. They may be unstable!

Q: Version Compatibility ArcticFox and NToolbox
A:
The latest stable version is compatible with ArcticFox only the latest release version NToolbox. The same rule applies to the nightly builds: the latest nightly build ArcticFox is only compatible with the latest nightly build NToolbox.

Q: How often are releases?
A:
As soon as immediately. We do not schedule releases or something like that. If we have something to do and to show - we do and show.

Q: About the limitation of the minimum impedance mode in VW
The question arose - as far as I know from reading the threads on NFE in their firmware you leave the limit resistance in 0.1om for vw and do not want to change it. You can ask, but what is the reason - some hardware device does not stretched (because universal firmware) or something else? Or something I do not understand and rx200 limit still can be removed?
A: Safety is the first thing we think adding these or other things in the firmware. Manufacturers are not randomly selected constraints, and based on the technical device component.
Remove the patches or custom firmware can be, but no one will ensure a long and happy life to you or your device.

Speaking easier, here are a comparison of the cost of cards that can be below 0.1 ohm to drive without problems and who can not.
Typical fees from Joyetech / Wismec / Eleaf has a cost of ~ $ 7 (new ones with rocker in rh300 and pico dual order of ~ $ 10)
DNA200 has a cost of ~ $ 30.

The difference in value is more than 3 times. I further conclusions about the quality of the components do yourself.
[/QUOTE]
2. You could use "light sleep". It always turns on your device and your clocks goes pretty well. It eats the battery, not too much. Also, you could play with RTC values, you could read about it from myevic
3. Preheat in TC works like WV, but temperature has bigger priority. For example, if you chose 0-2sec 100% power. then 2-3 sec 0% power (curve), you will get normal use from 0-2 sec and 3> sec. In 2-3 sec you have no power on your coil
4. Battery presets are just cosmetic. But... If you set "user" preset, you could change cutoff voltage. 0% - is cutoff without any load, and in the bottom of windows you could change load's cutoff.
100% makes nothing, your device still charge until about 4.2 volts

Dreamject

Dec 15, 2016
2. Developer does not like it, I don't know why
3. Developer does not have plan for this). May be somebody can to help him, I know in linux it's possible to flash device with Wine, but...

• Informative

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
I'm also a bit surprised there isn't more interest among participants on the forum. May be the active conversation about this firmware is happening on another forum?

Personally, for me the tc while using the firmware just didn't work well. Using the Joyetech/Wismec/Eleaf firmwares now.

Sent from my K6000 Pro using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread