Status
Not open for further replies.

LilWhiteClouder

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2015
Raleigh, NC
I have the Kooper Primus but don't have 3 batts the same amp rating..
Two say 40A and one says 38A..
Can these batts be run together? thx

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
I've seen it work but fairly positive it is a no no to pair unequal batteries... even if they are close. Wait for the batt experts though... @Baditude or @Mooch could shed light. Also check mooches blog on here for answers.

smacksy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2014
Alexandria, Louisiana USA
I've seen it work but fairly positive it is a no no to pair unequal batteries... even if they are close. Wait for the batt experts though... @Baditude or @Mooch could shed light. Also check mooches blog on here for answers.
good advice, thanks!

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Just like two tanks connected by a hose at the bottom where water flows back and forth to equalize the volume, batteries will reverse drain into each other to equalize voltage. When that happens it's not a good thing.

The other thing that can happen is that the weakest battery will make the other one or two work harder. That creates heat and heat is a battery's enemy.

You are better served by using all new cells and keeping them married in a set by storing them in a plastic battery box so that you don't mix them up between uses.

Buy batteries in matched sets for use in that mod. Good choices would be the Sony VTC6, LG HG2, and Samsung 30Q, and others with high amperage and MAH ratings.

LilWhiteClouder

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2015
Raleigh, NC
40a? 38a? Which batteries are these out of curiousity.
38 amp could only be the efest, no? who else would come up with a rando # like that

Efest: "Well that 40A rating might be stretching it. Let's throw on 38A since it's not too much of a difference from actual Amp ratings. They'll never know the difference!!
bwahahahah.jpg
"

Last edited:
Reactions: Zutankhamun

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
Those batteries definitely don't have the amp ratings printed on the wrappers (there are no 18650s rated over 30 amps), and chances are that their actual cdr is much further apart than 2 amps. Ditch those batteries and get authentic high drain Sonys, LGs, or Samsungs, batteries you can trust.

Sent from my K6000 Pro using Tapatalk

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    I have the Kooper Primus but don't have 3 batts the same amp rating..
    Two say 40A and one says 38A..
    Can these batts be run together? thx

In parallel, maybe. In series, best not to.
    Those current ratings are a lie so ignore them. What most determines how closely two batteries discharge together in series is their capacity. If they are the same there's a chance they might keep their voltages fairly close together.

Best to just buy a new pair. No matter what their cost, batteries are dirt cheap considering you get to use them for hours every day for months or even a couple of years.

smacksy

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 17, 2014
    Alexandria, Louisiana USA
    In parallel, maybe. In series, best not to.
    Those current ratings are a lie so ignore them. What most determines how closely two batteries discharge together in series is their capacity. If they are the same there's a chance they might keep their voltages fairly close together.

Best to just buy a new pair. No matter what their cost, batteries are dirt cheap considering you get to use them for hours every day for months or even a couple of years.
    Thanks Mooch!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread