Unprotected batteries/charging alternatives

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazyhorse

ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2009
Baja Alabama
Is it considered safe to use non-pcb batteries in a vaping device?

Has anyone considered adding "charging posts" to a battery box mod so that a smart charger designed for battery packs can recharge the cell(s) without removing them from the box? Some chargers come with a set of alligator clip leads for such an application.

MoonMan

ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2009
I don't know about the safety issue - I use protected cells, I think they are just all around better for these applications and most people recommend them. Why risk it?

As for the modded box idea - it would be easy enough to implement, but seeing as how it takes about two seconds to switch out the battery on most boxes, I don't see the need - and you can't use it when it's charging!

MoonMan

ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2009
Last edited:

MoonMan

ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2009
I saw that but didn't comprehend how it works. I'll look again.

Sorry, the pic alone really doesn't explain it that well.

It's a piece of metal bent at 90 degrees and glued into the box that hooks over a ridge of glue I made inside the removable cover. The plastic clip molded onto the cover holds down one end while the metal clip and ridge I made holds down the other end. To remove, you just push down on the plastic clip end and slide it off.

Last edited:

MoonMan

ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2009
Thanks. Can you detail the materials and procedure in your thread? Please? It's an important piece of the puzzle. The little screw on the ratshack AA box is a dealbreaker for me. Their 4 AA box doesn't really suffer from that indignity.

I'll update it with another pic or two that shows how it works.

crazyhorse

ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2009
Baja Alabama
Thanks MoonMan.

Can I have some more insight from y'all about the dangers of unprotected batteries in a PV? Can they blow when I suck? I'm ignorant about all this but it seems like the danger is in the charging cycle. But wouldn't a smart charger cover that?

I'm wanting to know so I can make an educated decision on my power and charging systems. If I go one way I can get my stuff locally/domestically. Go the other way and I have to deal with China.

If I decide it's safe to go with non-pcb batteries, I'll treat them as battery packs wired to provide 3.7v and rig up charging terminals on the boxes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread