Unregulated coil temperature questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

lvon

Feb 11, 2017
Copenhagen, Denmark
Hi! First post here :)
I am a mech lover, but understanding all the different factors that go into how a coil behaves on a mech can be quite difficult. I would love if there was a complete rundown on how each adjustment factor changes the outcome.
I have some specific questions that I am unsure about.

Is coil temperature simply
watts/coil mass*(some modifier to account for rate of heat transfer e.g. surface area)?
For instance:
How does changing one resistance wire with another kind affect the actual temperature of the coil.
For instance. If we compare a kanthal wire of a given diameter, gauge and resistance, to a Ss316L wire of the same diameter, gauge and resistance (but with more wraps).
Will the SS wire run cooler because there is more mass and surface area?

Does gauge affect temperature?
If we have two coils size and length, but the gauges and therefore also ohms are different, will the temperature of the coils be different at all?
My reasoning is, that lower gauges=more power, but also more mass and surface area.

Thanks in advance :)

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
First have a read of this, then have a read of this. Then do a search here on the forum for posts related to heat flux, this describes the relationship between surface area and heat. If you model a coil in steam-engine, it shows you the heat flux value on the right.

Verb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2014
Eastern, PA, USA
As long as wicking keeps up, coil temperature will stay at the temperature needed to vaporize your eliquid due to evaporative cooling. A coil that has too much mass for its resistance, will not be able to maintain the needed temperature of vaporization, will ramp up slow, struggle, and spit. Not enough mass for the resistance, singed wick and wispy vape.

Temperature of vapor entering your mouth is dependent on chamber size, airflow, coil surface area, power delivered to the coil, and the composition of the eliquid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread