Upcoming Camping Trip - What vaping gear do YOU take when you go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

catalyst

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2012
Sweet Home Alabama
I have a weeklong hiking trip coming up in about a month and I'm in the process of packing my gear. We're very restricted on space and weight but I have plenty of room for my vaping equipment. I typically vape > 10 ml a day. I'm curious if you guys think I have enough vaping equipment for 6 days.

Three 1100mah batteries (one twist and two spinners)
Two vivi nova's (filled)
Three replacement coils
2 30ml bottles of juice
2 2200mah 'instant chargers' $7.43 JIB LD3000 "3000mAh" Single USB Portable Power Bank External Power Source - real capacity 2200mAh at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping-

I haven't used these chargers yet as they are still in the mail. They are supposedly 3000mah, but they were tested at 2200.

I'm afraid I'll run of battery by the end. Your thoughts, please? What gear do you take on your trips?

VIPOD

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2010
NB,Canada
I do this every other weekend.

Only one unit that I would ever consider camping/hiking/fishing/hunting with:

REO Grand (mech) combined with a Griff holster + extra 30ml bottle + 2 extra LR attys + 1 extra 18650 batt

Of course, I would slip an eGo Twist + eVod/T3 in my backpack just in case.

BTW...I do need to get an instant charger if the trip goes beyond 2days without electricity access.;)

Mohamed

ECF Veteran
Aug 15, 2013
USA
Funny you ask. I haven't gotten a chance to use it...but just posted in a VV thread. Hopefully not considered cross post.

I started with disposables then to an e-blue starter kit and upgraded again to an ego-c for about a month now. I meant to go with an ego-t but I didn't order the right thing. I looked at those especially MVP as it allowed you to also charge external device like a phone.

For about $41.79 total price I ended up going this route with free shipping.

JIB LH20000 "20000mAh" Portable External Backup Battery Power Bank with LED Illumination
LH20000: "20000mAh" (Actual 12300mAh), Black+White / SKU: 1379809

$23.86

It's about the size of my Galaxy S4 phone and I can recharge my phone approx 6.5 times with it. I go camping and hiking a bit and really liked that feature. Shouldn't need to charge my phone more 3 times on a weekend trip as I don't use it very often...but would be nice in an emergency when Sunday starts rolling around and it's supper low so I have to just turn it off and then back on if I need. Reception is a whole different issue :)

EGO-VV 1100mAh Rechargeable Variable Voltage E-Cigarette Battery with 0.7" LCD
EGO-VV, 1100mAh, Silver (Voltage Adjustable) / SKU: 1422502

That can also be used at my desk or near a computer so I'm not wasting life on my "light weight portable" batteries. And will hook up to battery above as well. It's 3-6 volts but figure that will suffice my noob VV experience for now.

I can't tell you how they work yet because I'm still waiting for shipment to arrive. I have heard that battery can take up to 15 hours to fully charge. So you would need to plan ahead for your weekend trip. Not quite as portable as the slimmer one stick mods but should be very handy when away from outlets for extended period.

I also figure if I can get buy with ego 1000 mah for approx 10 hours...those 2 together should allow me to vape for about 10 days straight without being near an outlet :). I think you lose some of juice like 10% when charging external device. I guess what I mean is that the electricity can't be transferred from one device to another at no loss.

DasBluCig

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 30, 2013
Chichester, NH
If you're vaping > 10ml/day...I'd DEFINITELY take at least ONE more 30ml bottle of juice..
2 - 30ml bottles = 60ml @ 10ml/day = 6 days.....NOT QUITE a week....!!;)
Lose a bottle....SPILL a bottle....8-o!!
Looks like you SHOULD be set from a "hardware" standpoint, though....
Have a GREAT trip!
Happy (vaping) Trails!

Mohamed

ECF Veteran
Aug 15, 2013
USA
I have a weeklong hiking trip coming up in about a month and I'm in the process of packing my gear. We're very restricted on space and weight but I have plenty of room for my vaping equipment. I typically vape > 10 ml a day. I'm curious if you guys think I have enough vaping equipment for 6 days.

2 2200mah 'instant chargers' $7.43 JIB LD3000 "3000mAh" Single USB Portable Power Bank External Power Source - real capacity 2200mAh at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping-

Yeah batteries were my main concern as well. Try to figure out how many hours your 1100 mah last you. That should give you a baseline...then divide the sum of your mAh's by 1100 multipled by hours you get from that 1100 mah. That should give you total hours. Then multiply by 80% as you may only get a 80% efficiency rate when charging external device.

I also thought about solar panel $17.56 WN808 Solar Powered 3500mAh Power Bank Mobile Power Source - with converters at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping but I think that might be overkill...and as you stated at somepoint you got to factor in the weight of all the stuff you are carrying. Also packing space when that becomes issue. If you are ordering from fasttech it may not get in here time for your trip though.

Last edited:

aikanae1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2013
az

Two vivi nova's (filled)
Three replacement coils
2 30ml bottles of juice

I haven't used these chargers yet as they are still in the mail. They are supposedly 3000mah, but they were tested at 2200.
I'm afraid I'll run of battery by the end. Your thoughts, please? What gear do you take on your trips?

Hopefully both of your chargers work well and hold their charge properly. That would be my biggest concern on the list. Some mechanicals conserve battery power better IMO. This is something I've been thinking about too, so I'm interested in hearing the comments.

grandmato5

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2010
WNY
Doesn't look to me like you've left much room for any error but IF you can make it through an entire day each of your hiking days only needing to recharge one battery and you don't waste any juice ya might make it. Your charging capacity worries me the most although not much room from juice accidents with only those two filled viva's beyond your normal 10ml per day usage.

If your trip is a month away then hopefully you've a week to experiment ONLY using what you'd be taking with you (no cheating :lol:) to see how it goes for ya and to see if ya still feel confident you've packed enough to cover the unexpected.

Mohamed

ECF Veteran
Aug 15, 2013
USA
CHINA-SELLS.COM-Wholesale and retail supply of electronic cigarettes from China - Adapter USB Adapter USB – EGO with the control button
5775.jpg

I was searching for something like that for 4 hours one night and stubbled upon it today. That could be used to directly connect to your tank/clearomizer directly to those bigger "instant" chargers, power banks. Depending on type of terrain you may only be able to vape on breaks and at camp fire.

At any rate that could turn pretty much any external power bank into a mod. No idea what volts it would run at. I assume 5 V for the power banks you and I listed. Both say Output: DC - 5V .

You might want to get holster as I need two hands on steep terrain.

Mohamed

ECF Veteran
Aug 15, 2013
USA
Well, weight isn't the actual issue, volume is. Our trip is a competition where we can only take one standard size shoebox worth of equipment and the clothes on our back. Every battery I take is that much less room for food.

BTW really? a shoebox for all your equipment and gear. You are going much more hardcore than anyone in our group. We all use some type of military type steel reinforced military backpack or mountain back pack. I'm guessing 25-50 or shoe boxes without stuffing a bunch in there ;) You have a telescopic fishing pole or know how to trap for food? I don't think you can hardly fit 6 days worth of dehydrated food, can-tine, portable water filtration system...not to mention any cooking equipment. In our case volume is not the issue it's how much weight you want to lug around. Then you get into the expensive titanium cooking gear etc to cut weight down as much as possible.

You doing a survivalist type of thing?

If you are going this hard core I'd do without vaping and look at what you need for essential survival gear. Knife, fishing line, hooks, water filtration/purification system/tablets. Handgun/ammo for hunting. Pliers, needle, cotton balls and vasoline for tinder (or at bare minimum magnesium and zinc rods), needle, thread, for possible stitching. A few antibiotic wipes. Mylar sleeping bags very very light but hold in heat very well. 1 gallon rubber water bag if you still got room maybe a small hand axe. Fishing line could be used for traps but probably want the metal wire. Not even sure the essentials could fit in their. May want to work with your buddies so you don't triple pack anything...i.e. 2 knifes, 2 axes, etc. If you're working together you shouldn't need 3 of anything but redundancy is a good thing.

A Shoebox...just flabbergasted when I re-read this thread and saw that. If that is seriously all you got you got much higher concerns than vaping. Even most common bug-out bags meant to last 4 days to a week are in a school sized book bag and weight 25 lbs or so. If you are seriously going for 6 day trip with nothing but contents in a shoebox I highly recommend rethinking what the priorities are.

I'm very curious about this trip as friends and I have never attempted anything so adventurous/dangerous. Have you ever done anything remotely close to this...I'm just curious if you know what you are getting yourself into. And definitely not trying to discourage you just making sure you know what you're getting yourself into.

I even forgot compass/map. Mirror for signaling. You can probably do without mirror if you got the mylar bags. The list just goes on :)

If you got bug-out bag that can fit in shoe-box for 6 day wilderness trip I'd really really like to know what you got in there and what buddies are carrying for duplicates.

Mohamed

ECF Veteran
Aug 15, 2013
USA
In fairness a lot of that dehydrated food can be cooked in the bag by just adding boiling water. You either need fireproof can-tine (no plastic/rubber again titanium is light) or you need to find a plastic bottle to boil water in. You may or may not find that depending on where you are hiking. So you might be able to get 6 days of bare essentials in shoe box with just those 2 items...but I wouldn't put my life on the line with just those 2 items.

Mohamed

ECF Veteran
Aug 15, 2013
USA
Im going on a hunting trip next month. Gonna bring my 3 1100 mah batteries charged and my car charger. For juice Im gonna bring 30ml of one of my favorites and 4 Kanger evods. First time hunting without cigarettes so it is a work in progress to see how it goes.
Hunting trip with cars in site is a completely different story than only surviving on contents in shoe-box for x amount of days. I think we need clarification from LeftHandBlack as to what this trip is really about. I'm curious because I kind of want to go along :) I just would want at least a school book bag sized backpack before attempting. Haven't hunted without real cigs but deer season is coming up here shortly. I think I can get by with 2 1000mah batteries as long as one is charging in the car. Maybe have 2 on me for backup and 1 in car charging.

Debra_oh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Cleveland, OH
Wow, are you going to be hunting/fishing/scrounging for food? I would be very hard pressed to make a survival kit that small if it needs to include food (not even sure i could make a week of food that small, lots of pemican i guess). At that point I wouldn't even be thinking about vaping. Good luck!

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
Cool plan.
The missing spec is your personal depletion of the Mah. That's going to vary based on everything from your coils to your vape style...
Previous post mentioned it, but looks like you are "cutting it close" with both battery storage and juice.
Might be fun to test out a solar thing - fabric style, outside your pack, charging one of the storage devices while you hike - that'd be cool.

Ipster

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2012
Hawaii, SAR,HongKong (Stanley)
If your trip is a month away then hopefully you've a week to experiment ONLY using what you'd be taking with you (no cheating :lol:) to see how it goes for ya and to see if ya still feel confident you've packed enough to cover the unexpected.

Absolutely grandmato5 hit it perfectly! You've got a month to 1)get your gear=vapemail 2)sort out 6-7 days worth of gear+ +_YES allow for the possible accident to happen with atleast 1 extra days worth of supply 3)give it a sincere/honest 6-7 day try out. Take notes, figure what could happen, and practice uneven surfaces and simulated packing endurance for the perishables. dont forget any other factors if needed like "dry bags' if near water..so forth. All the best! I'd love to see your final solutions, so others could benefit from your valuable experiences.

degnr8

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2009
Aberdeen,WA,U.S.A
CHINA-SELLS.COM-Wholesale and retail supply of electronic cigarettes from China - Adapter USB Adapter USB – EGO with the control button
View attachment 252597

I was searching for something like that for 4 hours one night and stubbled upon it today. That could be used to directly connect to your tank/clearomizer directly to those bigger "instant" chargers, power banks. Depending on type of terrain you may only be able to vape on breaks and at camp fire.

At any rate that could turn pretty much any external power bank into a mod. No idea what volts it would run at. I assume 5 V for the power banks you and I listed. Both say Output: DC - 5V .

You might want to get holster as I need two hands on steep terrain.
The power banks only put out 1a sp this wouldn't work with what he ordered

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread