Upcoming vape ban; time to start DIY?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puttyandnapalm

Verified Member
Sep 1, 2014
Maryland
Been vaping for years and have been tending to stock up during good sales, so I never strongly considered DIY.

my question is what will become extremely difficult to ship later? I believe flavor extracts, PG, and VG will all remain able to be ordered easily, but the nicotine itself will be problematic.

I have spent my morning watching YouTube for DIY eliquid and feel optimistic about going this route, bu I believe I should stock up on a couple bottles of nicotine now (and an extra mod or two, but not relevant to this thread).

Do we know if flavor concentrates and PG/VG are not part of the ban?
When choosing nicotine, what is the difference between carrier; pg or VG?

Reactions: Diver9543

SupplyDaddy

I'm considered a Mad Scientist in some circles!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Politicians can proudly tell you that they have not banned our precious vape items!
You just have to spend a lot more to have it shipped to you, and find items that have started the PTMA paperwork.

Nicotine in PG will last considerably longer in storage and it's thinner/easier to work with as long as you're not sensitive to it.

Flavors are used in so much more than vapes that there is no way to stop access to them, same with PG and VG. Nicotine not so much, get that one in ASAP and get yourself some brown boston rounds and good lids to put in the freezer.

Last edited:

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    my question is what will become extremely difficult to ship later?

Yes. USPS shipping ban coming soon and FedEx will comply. UPS has not said if it will comply but I believe they will.

Do we know if flavor concentrates and PG/VG are not part of the ban?

No, no one actually knows. However, it will be tough for the gumbent to stop these from being shipped or to classify them as "tobacco products".

When choosing nicotine, what is the difference between carrier; pg or VG?

PG is thinner and because of that it's easier to decant into glass bottles for long term storage in a freezer. It's all around easier to deal with since it's thinner. If you are not allergic to PG, then go with PG. Some say it lasts longer than VG base, but I can't say if that's true or not. PG works for me.

...time to start DIY?

Yes, but more importantly it's time to stock up on nicotine. Worry about the actual process of DIY later.

Heartlandvapes.com sells their 100mg nic base for $45/liter.
    Buy 4 liters or more and each liter is $43.
    You can also buy in gallons for a little less, just realize that gallons are a bit clumsy to to deal with when decanting into the glass bottles.

They have a coupon code (VAPEMAG) for 5% which is only good one time per account, so use it wisely. Actually I have no idea if that's still valid but you can try.

< $100 will get you 2 liters and glass bottles at heartlandvapes. 1 Liter fits in four 8oz bottles. Buy the caps separately (it's 8 cents cheaper that way - don't ask me why).

2 Liters - $89.98
    8 8oz bottles (choose no caps) - $7.92
    10 caps (trust me, get a couple extra) - $1.70
    UPS Ground - FREE since order is over fifty dollars
    Total - $99.60
    Total after VAPEMAG discount code = $94.62

4 Liters - (4-bottle discount) - $171.96
    16 8oz bottles (choose no caps) - $15.84
    20 caps (trust me, get a couple extra) - $3.40
    UPS Ground - FREE since order is over fifty dollars
    Total - $191.20
    Total after VAPEMAG discount code = $181.64

Yes, you can use smaller 4 oz. bottles but that will cost a little more.

Here's a good calculator to decide on how much nicotine you might want to buy...Vapocalypse Nicotine Base Calculator

Last edited:

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    When it comes to e-Cigarettes, Nicotine is the Head of the Snake.

The USPS and FedEx are going to Stop shipping "Tobacco Products". And I'm sure that UPS is considering it also. The FDA Commissionaire has yet to be named. But Don't get your Hopes Up that He/She will see e-Cigarettes as viable Adult THR.

Put All that on top of Gretchen not exactly being a friend to Vaping, and I would have my Credit Card in my Hand right Now while searching the web for Nicotine Base retailers.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 21, 2015
    Nicotine in PG will last considerably longer in storage

IIRC, Kurt, the resident chemist, stated in his thread that he thought there wouldn't be much difference, but if any at all...nic in 100% VG had a slight advantage over nic in 100% PG...during freezer storage.

From my own experience, and from those I've taught how to DIY, working with VG hasn't been any more difficult for us, than working with PG, even when measuring by volume. It depends on what measuring supplies and techniques are used. The experience of others may vary though of course, depending on the things they choose to use and how they use them.

Last edited:

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 21, 2015
    when the time comes, I’ll order the PG and VG, and a boatload of flavors from bull river.

You've got part of 2 different vendors' names there in "bull river". They're Bull City Flavors and River Supply. :)

Bull City Flavors carries flavorings from the largest number of different manufacturers/brands. That helps, because it's easier and less expensive to place 1 order from them...to get the different brands needed...instead of placing multiple orders from several vendors to get them. Their S/H is much lower for orders less than $50...than from River Supply. Bull City has also shipped my orders quicker, too.

I have ordered from River Supply 6 times though, since 2015. It's usually been things in their Clearance section, where I've found great deals, and my order has been $50 or more, so I get Free S/H.

DenaInWyo

ECF Veteran
    Jul 2, 2013
    Casper Wy
    Just a bit of advice from experience: Don't go buying a ton of flavors that sound like a good idea without a specific purpose for them or you'll end up with 100 little bottles and actually use about 20 of them. Ask me how I know ;) Find some recipes that interest you and buy the flavors for those. Your collection will expand as you find more recipes.

As you look at recipes, you'll see there are some really common ones that get used in multiple popular recipes. You'll also find that every recipe you want to try has ONE flavor you're missing after you've started to build your collection. It's a rabbit hole to fall down for sure.

I haven't posted here in ages. Came by to see what the heck was going on with this shipping thing. DIY was really fun in the beginning, but now I'm honestly down to my one favorite flavor I always vape, with a VERY rare experiment here and there, and it's just another chore I have to complete along with the laundry. I finally went through all my flavorings, some of them 5-6 years old, and had to throw away a bunch. Don't be me. Some of them sounded interesting, and I never even got around to using them at all. It's a ton of fun at first, but I sure wasted a lot of money.

And with my purpose for popping in to say hello to everyone, I am now off to go buy about 8 liters of nic. Thanks for the source tip up there. Some of the people selling it know we're panicking and have jacked their prices up to INSANE levels. Saw one website wanting $179 a liter. What jackasses.

newyork13

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 9, 2013
    western Massachusetts
    Just a bit of advice from experience: Don't go buying a ton of flavors that sound like a good idea without a specific purpose for them or you'll end up with 100 little bottles and actually use about 20 of them. Ask me how I know ;) Find some recipes that interest you and buy the flavors for those. Your collection will expand as you find more recipes.

As you look at recipes, you'll see there are some really common ones that get used in multiple popular recipes. You'll also find that every recipe you want to try has ONE flavor you're missing after you've started to build your collection. It's a rabbit hole to fall down for sure.

I haven't posted here in ages. Came by to see what the heck was going on with this shipping thing. DIY was really fun in the beginning, but now I'm honestly down to my one favorite flavor I always vape, with a VERY rare experiment here and there, and it's just another chore I have to complete along with the laundry. I finally went through all my flavorings, some of them 5-6 years old, and had to throw away a bunch. Don't be me. Some of them sounded interesting, and I never even got around to using them at all. It's a ton of fun at first, but I sure wasted a lot of money.

And with my purpose for popping in to say hello to everyone, I am now off to go buy about 8 liters of nic. Thanks for the source tip up there. Some of the people selling it know we're panicking and have jacked their prices up to INSANE levels. Saw one website wanting $179 a liter. What jackasses.
    LOL. Don't tease us. What is the one favorite flavor you mentioned.
    I'd love to have one.

• Agree

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    I am now off to go buy about 8 liters of nic. Thanks for the source tip up there. Some of the people selling it know we're panicking and have jacked their prices up to INSANE levels. Saw one website wanting $179 a liter. What jackasses.

I don't keep a close eye on nic prices but I have yet to see nic suppliers raising nic prices because they are trying to capitalize on the fear of the mail ban. Do you have an example?

I have, however, seen hardware suppliers use the mail ban as a reason to have sales and to coax us to "STOCK UP". lol

Puttyandnapalm

Verified Member
    Sep 1, 2014
    Maryland

I was up to about 35 flavors in my basket when I saw this lol.

But I typically keep 6-8 flavors on hand at a given time

newyork13

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 9, 2013
    western Massachusetts
    I don't keep a close eye on nic prices but I have yet to see nic suppliers raising nic prices because they are trying to capitalize on the fear of the mail ban. Do you have an example?

I have, however, seen hardware suppliers use the mail ban as a reason to have sales and to coax us to "STOCK UP". lol
    Regarding the hware suppliers, keep in mind that unless they come up with another delivery option, they're toast. So, they may need to sell their inventory while they can before the bullet hits. Sad.

• Agree

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Regarding the hware suppliers, keep in mind that unless they come up with another delivery option, they're toast. So, they may need to sell their inventory while they can before the bullet hits. Sad.

We may just see that, which I believe is why they are trying to capitalize on the fear before they are forced to go to clearance (I don't blame them, frankly, of course that's coming from someone who doesn't need more hardware lol). Since retail hardware purchases are almost always sent via USPS by default, they have a little over 2 months before the cut-off for USPS. End of march into may is where we might see some clearance and out-of-business sales happening.

rob33

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 20, 2009
    A World Traveler
    The biggest reason to use 100% PG nicotine is mixing. Since most all flavors are PG based and most of us mix below 50% of PG in our recipe you are assured even at 70 and 80% VG recipe can be mixed. If you are mixing all VG even up 90% then 100% VG nicotine is what you need. Ok if that even in the least confused you, never consider a 50/50 nicotine unless you are mixing either one 50/50 to 60/40.

• Informative

Diver9543

Resting In Peace
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 26, 2015
    Oklahoma City, OK, USA

I have to agree with what was said about buying for recipes vice what looks good. I still have about 30 small bottles that I ordered when I started DIY that I haven't even been opened. I also am waiting on an order with some more flavors I use and another liter of nicotine. I wasn't going to buy anymore but I decided to err on the side of caution and decided to buy more. $179 ya' right. I paid $37 and change for a liter at River Supply and with a couple of flavors I got free shipping. So search around and check our known vendors never eBay. Just my :2c:. Have a good day/evening and stay safe.

vaper1960

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    The biggest reason to use 100% PG nicotine is mixing. Since most all flavors are PG based and most of us mix below 50% of PG in our recipe you are assured even at 70 and 80% VG recipe can be mixed. If you are mixing all VG even up 90% then 100% VG nicotine is what you need. Ok if that even in the least confused you, never consider a 50/50 nicotine unless you are mixing either one 50/50 to 60/40.
    That doesn't make sense (and I have used 50/50 nic to make 70VG/30PG juice) As long as you have extra VG and PG it doesn't matter. Helps to use a mixing calculator (many available on websites)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread