Updated reviews of the Protege (v1 and v1.1), GGTS, Revolver, and more...

Status
Not open for further replies.

anim8r

ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2009
DC
Kits Reviewed (in alphabetical order--updated reviews in bold):

Bloog
GGTS
GreenSmoke
Cignot's Joye 510 (manual w/ PCC)
PureSmoker Protege v1.0 - updated
PureSmoker Protege v1.1
Revolver Elite
Totally Wicked Tornado
Vapor4Life Vapor King

Comparison of some models:
img2054small.jpg

From left to Right: GreenSmoke, Joye 510, Revolver Elite (x2), PS Protege, TW Tornado with 410 atomizer/cart, V4L Vapor King

The rankings are based on months of personal experience, except for the Bloog (which I returned for a refund after 3 weeks). I don't think you can really get to know an e-cig's strengths and weaknesses in just a few days, so I usually wait at least a month to review them.

For a definition of the rankings, scroll to the bottom.

All of these e-cigs were purchased with my money.

Overall Rating: 2.0
Cost: $99.99 (free shipping)
Targeted User: Beginners

Pros: 2-piece design. Good looking e-cig. Really long cut-off on the auto batteries. 30-day money back guarantee.

Cons: Pricey for what you get. I returned the device after a few weeks of trying it out because of poor vapor and flavor. The kit came with chocolate flavored carts and they tasted more like... blueberry pop-tarts?? I wasn't a fan of the charger either. I never knew if it the battery was fully seated until I plugged it into the wall. This is the only device that I've returned for a refund.

Vapor: 1.5
Value: 2.5
Durability: didn't use it long enough to make a fair assessment
Coolness Factor: 3.5

Suggested Flavors: I didn't experiment long enough with flavors on this e-cig to find one I actually liked.

Other notes: Compatible with Green Smoke Carts which up the vapor CONSIDERABLY, but you will burn those carts up fast if you try any toke on them any longer than 2 seconds.

Overall Rating: 5.0
Cost (fluctuates with the exchange rate): $212.00 (free shipping)
Targeted User: Intermediate and expert users

Pros: Bulletproof performance. Expertly machined by that Grecian Genius Imeothanasis and tested by a very supportive and zealous fan base. Telescoping design allows the user to choose from just about any battery on the market (I suspect that this design is very likely to be copied by other manufacturers in the future... a lot). Safety features include; 7 vent holes, lockable and flawless mechanical switch, and the GGTS can be equipped with an optional fuse. The aircraft grade aluminum is tough. I guarantee this bugger will take a serious beating and keep on working. Comes equipped to handle four atomizer types; 510, 801, 901 and KR808-D1. Also, an updated e-liquid auto-feeding system is in works. In a word, this device is crazysuperawesome.

Cons: May appear to be too pricey and some may not try this e-cig since the upfront cost is pretty steep, and for those on tight budgets, 2 bills is a pretty large leap of faith for an e-cig that doesn't include batteries, atomizers or a charger. The brass parts will need to be cleaned regularly (at least every two weeks or so) to keep the performance optimum. Also, my device came with no instuctions, so be sure to check out all the very helpful videos made by Rob at www.vaporkings.com, as well as the videos by the creator himself posted on youtube.

Vapor: 5.0
Value: 5.0
Durability: 5.0
Coolness Factor: 4.0 (you may look like a dork using it or messing around with it in public, but you won't care ;) )

Suggested Flavors: It's hard to make recommendations in this block since the GGTS can use so many different batteries and each produces a slightly different vapor. Still, I'm just a huge fan of Strictly Ejuice's Candy Cane in all of it's different battery induced variations (it's not "sweet" so much as a light peppermint).

Other notes: I can hear you saying; "anim8r! How in the hell can you justify giving a 200 dollar e-cig, without a charger or batteries included, a 5.0 on value?" Good question. But, when you consider it comes with the ability to use 4 different atomizer styles and with them you can use virtually ANY 3.0 volt battery (times 2) or 3.7 volt battery (either solo or, in some cases, X2), it doesn't take long to realize you can have as many mods as you have batteries. Then there's the absolute die hard performance from the device itself. Also, there are no electonics to go wrong (except the battery), so if you know how to twist things on and off, and push or pull things, then you can fix a GGTS (IF you ever have a problem). Clean up couldn't be easier with this fully mechanical mod. If you're lazy, you can simply unscrew the major assemblies and drop the entire thing in cleaning solution (as long as it's safe on rubber and metal), dry it off, and start puffing away. In very short order, you begin to realize why so many say "It's the last PV you'll ever need".

But, everyone needs to know that there are no full kits when it comes to the GG. You get the cig and a very nice velvet pouch. That's it. So you better order some batteries and a charger if you don't already have them. But, if you already have at least one other mod, it's a safe bet you can use the batteries you already own.

One last note, I thought the placement of the switch would put me off, but after a day of vaping the GGTS, the button felt as natural as any button could. My only real concern with this mod is that I worry that I'll wear it out from playing with it too much. Damned near everything in this mod can be adjusted or tweaked. When I'm not vaping, or if I'm vaping on a different e-cig, I'm constantly reconfiguring it like a transformer toy and pestering my wife with phrases like "Look at it now hon." lol

Overall Rating: 2.5
Cost: $150.00 (free shipping)
Targeted User: Beginners

Pros: 2 piece design. The batteries last a long time for their size and are capable of producing some surprising amounts of vapor despite their 3 second cutoff. Also, the batteries have a texture on them that feels good between your fingers. The stock carts last a few refills, so the price comes down if you buy your own juice and refill the cartomizers.

Cons: The really huge con to this device is that it is expensive. Especially considering what you get, though it did get me off of real cigarettes within a week (these were the first e-cigs my wife and I purchased), it is just way too expensive to justify maintaining.

Vapor: 3.5
Value: 1.0
Durability: 4.0
Coolness Factor: 2.5

Suggested Flavors: Vanilla and Chocolate, but mostly the vanilla. Most of the other GreenSmoke flavors had a burnt chemical taste or started having a funky soap-like aftertaste.

Other notes: Compatible with Bloog Carts.

Overall Rating: 4.0
Cost: $46.00
Targeted User: Intermediate

Pros: Simple design. Respectable vapor. Easy transition cig from 2-piece models to mods. As far as I'm concerned everyone should own at least one Joye 510 during their vaping journey. Very inexpensive way to check out the 510 type of e-cig--I found a great price and service at Cignot.

Cons: The first included PCC stopped working after less than a month of use, but was replaced. It's hard to come up with any other cons when my wife remained utterly faithful to her Joye 510 from early Nov 09 until sometime in Mar, 2010 (which was about the same time she stole one of my Proteges =P).

Vapor: 3.0
Coolness Factor: 3.0

Suggested Flavors: Just about any DIYFlavorshack or EcoPure juice and Revolver Gold. My wife prefers Dawn's Mint Chocolate Banana Float (tastes a LOT better than I thought it would).

Overall Rating: 4.5
Cost: $115.00
Targeted User: Intermediate / Experienced

Pros: The Protege is the Harley Davidson of small 3.7v mods. It is as solid as a tank. It feels great in your hand and it is a truly good looking device. The satin stainless steel finish has remained tarnish free over the last 6 months and does a great job of hiding the scratches and blemishes (from constant use and a couple of drops). Works great with both 510 and 401 atomizers (adaptor needed for 401). My absolute favorite 2 e-cigs are my two v1.0 proteges. None of the other devices I've tried (included the Protege v1.1) has replaced them as my in-public vaping devices. These are definitely the best looking devices I've ever owned.

Cons: The brass parts in the adaptor head need to be cleaned at least monthly to keep this mod a "vaping monster". The battery end cap has slightly loose threads that require a gentle touch to get started correctly when tightening. Some users have reported defective switches. One of my charger's cord had exposed wires after 2 months of use.

Vapor: 4.0
Value: 4.0
Durability: 4.5
Coolness Factor: 5.0

Suggested Flavors: I almost exclusively vape the EcoPure "Rich" blend in this e-cig with an occasional swap to one of my several Johnson Creek liquids and Strictly E-juice's candy cane. Most of my other brands and flavors are pretty good, but the liquids mentioned just seem to be made for this e-cig.

Update: Last March, Puresmoker sent every original owner of a Protege a FREE upgraded mechanical switch with the launch of their Protege v1.1. While it was a vast improvement to the original mechanical switch, some people still experienced the dreaded "break-in" period. Both of mine worked right from the start.

Breaking in a Protege's mechanical switch:
If you find that you need to press the switch "hard" to get the mod to produce vapor, loosen the adapter a hair and use a dime or penny (placed on top of the button) to make pressing the switch down easier until it is broken in. Periodically rotate the small button during the breakin period. Feel free to disassemble and reasemble the switch occationally as this also helps speed up the break in process.

Cost: $91.00 with shipping (base unit--no batteries or charger)
Targeted User: Intermediate / Experienced

Pros: Comes fully dressed in Solid Steel now. Once this device is broken in, it should last you for-freaking-ever. Still feels great in your hand and is still a truly good looking device. The beveled switch housing on the v1.1 cleans up the lines of this device nicely. The new tapered SS 510 adaptor looks pretty good too, but I prefer the look of the v1.0 "lightsaber" style. This tough PV doesn't scratch up nearly as easily as my other mods. After a month of daily use, this PV has remained completely blemish and tarnish free. The mechanical switch provides slightly more vapor than the original tact switch. Now comes with a vented battery cap.

The people at PureSmoker pack a lot into a very small package. But this small size comes at a cost. Which leads me to the cons.

Cons: The machining on the battery end cap has improved in this version, but care should still be used when threading it back onto the main body. One of the biggest concerns I have is that some users are still reporting very long break-in periods for their mechanical switches and that they have caused more than a few sore fingers. It took almost 3 days for my stainless steel switch to fully break in. Though it should be stated that it is as smooth as butter now, I would have preferred having my protege arrive already broken in. Also, it took forever for the threads in my stainless steel 510 adapter to wear in enough to accept atomizers built by anyone other than Joye Tech and Innovapor and at the moment, my nhaler LR atty's still don't fit, but at least the Totally Wicked and PureSmoker's LR's do, which is a good thing since both are cheaper. Granted these cons are normally short-lived and my V1.1's button performed flawlessly since the initial break-in, but this may be frustrating to new users and I don't know if new users would be as forgiving or patient. Because of this primary issue, I had to drop the value and overall rankings on this latest edition of my favorite PV.

Vapor: 4.5
Value: 3.5

Suggested Flavors: Same as those listed for the V1.0

Other notes: It takes a long time for the 510 adapter's stainless steel threads to loosen up. The device works well with atomizers actually made by Joye Tech as well as, the Totally Wicked and the PureSmoker Low Resistance atty's right out of the box, so if you have those, you shouldn't have any problem with "adaptor break-in".

The people at PureSmoker have excellent customer service and are among my favorite suppliers, but I hope they address the inconsistent break-in period for the buttons and the adaptors (reported as anywhere from 5 minutes to 3 days, and sometimes longer). Granted my v1.1 was a first run and as is typical with first run devices, this one had a difficult start. I only hope later production runs/revisions of my favorite PV start acting at least on a par with my original v1.0's which have worked flawlessly from the moment I opened their packages several months ago. I'll still recommend the Protege to new customers since it's still damned sexy, but I'd suggest picking up an old-style adapter on purchase, if they're still available.

Overall Rating: 4.5
Cost: $60.00 (free shipping)
Targeted User: Intermediate users and Travelers

Pros: Designed for the light to moderate vaper-on-the-go (heavy vapers might want to look elsewhere). Great looking and super compact e-cig and PCC. The PCC holds a fully assembled e-cig while charging a second battery. The Elite comes with nearly bullet-proof atomizers (I'm still using the included ones after months of use). Solid vapor and flavor. I also really like the texture on the stock batteries. Plus, it is very inexpensive. You get a lot of bang for the buck in this
kit.

Cons: You'd be wise to memorize how to reset your PCC. If it gets bugged out, you'll need to reset it. Batteries die quickly, but the PCC will keep the spare charging as you swap them out. Each battery will last me roughly 3-4 regular cigs.

Vapor: 3.5

Suggested Flavors: Just about any of the DIYFlavorshack and EcoPure juices. I also like Strictly E-juice's Candy cane when flying on planes. People like the smell of it =D

Other Notes: I'm absolutely amazed at the vapor from this very tiny device. This little bugger can put out a lot of vapor once the atomizer is broken in. Vapor from the stock carts was ok, but vapor from my daily liquids is almost equal to my some of the 3.7v mods I've owned and used. Though it must be said, I actually drip on these atomizers which does improve vapor output.
I never travel without it.

The carts are compatible with 401 style carts, but the atomizers are not.

Cost: $79.00
Targeted User: Intermediate

Pros: This acts more like a "mod", but in a commercial 3-piece design. A lot of users compare this to a "super" Joye 510 and that's probably the best way to describe it. The battery life is very long. The most notable difference is that the first and last puff from the battery hits and tastes almost the same to me. This is the first time I've seen any factory-kit type of battery operate in this way. Also, one battery lasts me a day and takes about 4.5 hours to recharge when completely drained. Good looking e-cig and pretty solid. Works great with both 510 and 401 atomizers (adaptor needed for 401). Good price.

Cons: I really don't like the concave button. The button feels... odd. A flat surface would have been a better choice in my opinion. Plus, sometimes I prefer the cone and other times I don't and it's a pain to remember which configuration goes with which liquid.

Vapor: 4.5
Value: 4.0
Coolness Factor: 4.0

Suggested Flavors: I would strongly recommend just about any of the Johnson Creek liquids with this e-cig, as well as, EcoPure Rich. I rarely used anything else with my Tornado.

Other notes: The Tornado comes with an atomizer cone. It actually changes the draw on the atomizer and changes the flavor of some liquids, sometimes it's a good change, and sometimes, not so much. I suggest trying out your favorite liquids separately with the cone on and off. For example, I really like the way my EcoPure "Rich" blend tastes without the cone. This e-cig is compatible with the Janty Ego.

Update: I gave this e-cig away to a relative since I have too many mods. I can afford to be picky and the button was just a bit too annoying for me.

Cost: $90.00
Targeted User: Beginning users and Travelers

Pros: Simple 2-piece design and all the stuff you'll ever need for your e-cig in one kit... no kidding. Nice travel charger, spare carrying case, a pass through, etc. The PCC and carrying case look very cool and feel solid. Absolutely great value for your money. If you like KR-808 style e-cigs, you'd be crazy not to own one.
Pass-Through note: The Vapor King pass-through gives you some really warm vapor. This was my favorite part of the kit.

Cons: I ordered several flavors for my wife and I to try from Vaper4Life. I don't know if they had a strange batch, but most every flavor tasted the same. I don't blame the e-cig itself, but I wasn't pleased with the carts and liquids I received from V4L. Needless to say I couldn't find any flavor I liked from their store and gave up after ordering several. Also, I really didn't like the "V4L" stamped all over the batteries, it makes the e-cig look cheesy. I'd rank this e-cig higher if it didn't look so goofy.

Vapor (battery): 2.5, Vapor (pass-through): 3.0
Coolness Factor: 3.0

Suggested Flavors: Best to order blanks and try your current favorites (which taste pretty good in this e-cig) or search the VPL forums for liquid reviews.

All rankings are 1-5

Overall: The overall ranking is my impression on the complete kit, ease of use (for what I consider the targeted audience), and my basic happiness with the product. To get a 4.0 or above. I have to remain impressed and very happy with the device for at least a month.

Vapor: This is very subjective of course. I only use EcoPure "Rich" formula to determine my vapor ranking. For me, and with my style of vaping, this liquid is capable of producing massive amounts of vapor. Also, I only rate vapor on a freshly broken in atomizer.

Value: This is just my impression on how far my money went for what I got. I don't care about packaging, but I do care about included batteries, atomizers, juice, chargers, etc.

Durability: This isn't a new technology, so most items should be fairly durable these days. I've yet to come across a piece that I thought would break if I dropped it once or twice. But, I also consider every other part of the included kit.

Coolness Factor: For this rank, I pretty much ask myself if I think I'm going to look like a dork vaping the thing in public. And if so... how much of a dork.

Last edited:

anim8r

ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2009
DC
Excellent reviews, waiting for my Protege V1.1 to come in, glad to see it's high rating. I've been seeing many of these in the classifieds recently.

Yeah, that's why I no longer write reviews on a new e-cig unless I've used it for at least a month. I'll never sell any of my Proteges, even after I quit vaping.

Ddubya said:
Nice comparison. Looks like I will have to save some cash for a GGTS or Protoge.

Either one would make a great purchase (or both :D). I primarily use the GG at home and when doing work around the house (an 18650 battery lasts me a rediculously long time). The Protege goes with me to the office and out in public.

anim8r

ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2009
DC
Thank you, anim8r. I'm new to vaping & the threats of an e-cig ban by some of the states & the ban being threatened in England has me interested in finding some mod that can be a replacement for my Joye 510 in case state or federal government carries through with making e-cigs & supplies difficult to get. Thanks again.

I'm glad I could help out jkillb. I hear you on the whole banning issue. I spent last Dec and January stocking up on enough juice and supplies to last at least a year. Just in case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread