Upping the NIC in pre-mixed juice

Status
Not open for further replies.

oly_r

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2011
Marylandistan
Probably overthinking this or just a stupid question but i'll ask anyway (yes i've looked).
I have been mixing my own juice a bit and have the calculators figured out for that. Is there a calc or a way to use the standard ones to figure out how much of my 100mg NIC to add to pre-mixed juices to get them up to my 9 preference. I buy some pre-mixed for flavor ideas and with the crap that the FDA has done i just can't find 9 mg/ml juices.

As an example

60 ml 6mg juice
how much 100mg/ml nic to get it to 9mg juice.

60 ml of 3mg juice

Last edited:

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
100mg/ml is pretty easy that way. You need to raise the nicotine content by 6mg/ml. 60x6=360mg of nicotine must be added. 360/100=3.6 so you need to get another 3.6ml into the bottle. That won’t give you a truly exact number though because yo now have 63.6ml of juice. The exact number is a calculus equation that measures the change in volume vs the change in concentration. If you just want a ball park figure that will get you somewhere between 8-10mg/ml you can add, say, 3.8ml. If that 9ml is really important though you’ll either have to do the math or find a juice calculator that will do it for you. Me I’ve never been that interested in exact numbers for my use so I don’t bother.

oly_r

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2011
Marylandistan
1.8ml
3.6ml

Thanks for that, i'm really looking for the process as much as the answer. How did you come up with those answers? I played through one of the calcs (ecigvape.com) and came up with 2 ml for the 60 of 6 but 1) wasn't sure 2) wondered if there was a calc set up to do this and 3) questioned the underlying process.

Reactions: stols001

oly_r

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2011
Marylandistan
100mg/ml is pretty easy that way. You need to raise the nicotine content by 6mg/ml. 60x6=360mg of nicotine must be added. 360/100=3.6 so you need to get another 3.6ml into the bottle. That won’t give you a truly exact number though because yo now have 63.6ml of juice. The exact number is a calculus equation that measures the change in volume vs the change in concentration. If you just want a ball park figure that will get you somewhere between 8-10mg/ml you can add, say, 3.8ml. If that 9ml is really important though you’ll either have to do the math or find a juice calculator that will do it for you. Me I’ve never been that interested in exact numbers for my use so I don’t bother.

Awesome, thanks. No the 9 isn't that specific. so the volume differential isn't a problem. I'll end up with a list of answers to use in the future.

Reactions: stols001

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Probably overthinking this or just a stupid question but i'll ask anyway (yes i've looked).
I have been mixing my own juice a bit and have the calculators figured out for that. Is there a calc or a way to use the standard ones to figure out how much of my 100mg NIC to add to pre-mixed juices to get them up to my 9 preference. I buy some pre-mixed for flavor ideas and with the crap that the FDA has done i just can't find 9 mg/ml juices.

As an example

60 ml 6mg juice

60 ml of 3mg juice
Hi and welcome,

Nicotine Shot Calculator / Shortfill Calculator - Vaping Hardware

Hola from an MD expat.
I

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
@oly_r, regarding calculators, that will adjust nicotine:
Are you using only online calculators; or do you use downloaded calculators?

For online calculators; the one @Izan linked, is a good choice. I do recommend using it in the "Nic Shot" mode, as the "Shortfill" mode assumes the true volume to be only 90%(+/-) of stated capacity (thus; leaving room for the additional nicotine). Here is just one example, using your 60mL of 6mg/mL nic values:
upload_2019-1-15_17-55-56.png

Here is the same calculator, using the same values, only in "Shortfill" mode:
upload_2019-1-15_18-17-30.png

If you use any downloadable calculators; some of the more popular/common calculators (like: E-Juice MeUp, JuiceCalculator, and JuiceGrinder, to name just a few) do sometimes include secondary calculators, that will do what you are looking for.

I happen to use JuiceCalculator, so I can show you an example of that one:
upload_2019-1-15_18-26-52.png

In the case of JuiceCalculator; this secondary calculator can be found in the Tools tab:
upload_2019-1-15_18-32-23.png

Other software may have different locations, and/or different names. But, a little searching, or reading the Help files, should lead you to it.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Thanks for that, i'm really looking for the process as much as the answer.

Let "N" equal the Amount of 100mg/ml Nicotine Base you need to add to your 60ml of 6mg/ml.

Since mg/ml is given by Total Nicotine divided by Total Volume, the 9mg/ml you want using what you have can be expressed as...

=> ((60ml x 6mg) + (100 x N)) / (60ml + N) = 9mg/ml
=> (360 + 100N) / (60 + N) = 9
=> 360 + 100N = 9(60 + N)
=> 360 + 100N = 540 + 9N
=> 100N - 9N = 540 - 360
=> 91N = 180
=> N = 1.978

So to make 9mg/ml from 60ml of 6mg/ml and 100mg/ml Nicotine Base, you would Need to Add 1.978ml (2ml for Simplicity) of 100mg/ml.

ETA: I can Drop the Units in Step 2 Above because all the Units follow mg/ml on both sides of the Equality

Algebraically, it is the same as if I had multiplied thru by ml/mg.

Last edited:

oly_r

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2011
Marylandistan
@oly_r, regarding calculators, that will adjust nicotine:
Are you using only online calculators; or do you use downloaded calculators?

<snip>

Other software may have different locations, and/or different names. But, a little searching, or reading the Help files, should lead you to it.

I typically use Vape Tools on my phone when mixing. With the ability to save my recipes it seemed a good choice. I haven't looked in a long time since it worked for me. I'll be looking at these other options now THANKS

IDJoel, do you have a link to the JuiceCalculator you referenced.

Last edited:

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
I typically use Vape Tools on my phone when mixing. With the ability to save my recipes it seemed a good choice. I haven't looked in a long time since it worked for me. I'll be looking at these other options now THANKS

IDJoel, do you have a link to the JuiceCalculator you referenced.
It was written by one of ECF's own members. It has its own thread here, and you can find a link to the calculator download in the very first post:
New Calculator to try

It is very similar to E-JuiceMeUp, and JuiceGrinder; in look and operation. It is also free, with all features available. (Others, disable certain features, until you "donate," or outright purchase.)

Do note: it was written for Windows platforms... though some users have had success using it on Apple/Mac, and Linux; using a Windows compatibility program like Wine. It will not function on most phone platforms (like Android, Google, Chrome, Apple, etc.).

Reactions: oly_r

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Thanks, i had downloaded that one last night as one of the possibles.
As you look at JuiceCalculator (JC); do refer to the ReadMe.txt file, and Help File. The Help file is one of the better ones I have come across. It makes getting started a breeze.

I started out, using E-JuiceMeUp, and didn't like the format/display. I then moved on to JuiceGrinder as it offered inventory management. Then, while I was a user, they went to a "crippleware" format (required mandatory donation to get full access to features), and so went searching again.

That is when I found JC; and have been a happy camper ever since. It offers a full suite of features. Besides the usual recipe, and ingredient management; it offers inventory management (tracks what you have in stock), label printing, shopping list (integrated with inventory), concentrate location recording, as well as a slew of secondary ("Simple") calculators. There are still features I haven't even played with yet. It is one of the most complete calculators I have seen.

About the only downside, that I can see, is its cross-platform compatibility. And, as I am a Windows user; that has not been an issue for me. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread