*URGENT* CALL TO ACTION! Pico Rivera, CA May BAN E-Cigarette Sales (Hearing 6/25/13!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonicdsl

Wandering life's highway
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2011
URGENT Call to Action! Pico Rivera, CA May BAN E-Cigarette Sales (Hearing 6/25/13!)

Pico Rivera, California: City May Treat E-Cigarettes like Drug Paraphernalia, Ban All Sales Within the City

On May 28, 2013, the Pico Rivera City Council adopted an ordinance that placed a 45-day moratorium temporarily prohibiting the issuance of zoning permits to "electronic cigarette retailers, drug paraphernalia retailers and headshops within the city limits." The ordinance itself claims that this action is needed because illegal drugs can be used in some vapor products.

CASAA has learned that the Pico Rivera City Council's staff is planning to request an additional ten month moratorium on the issuance of such permits, with the ultimate goal being to BAN the sales of smoke-free electronic cigarettes within the city of Pico Rivera. This request will be made at their June 25, 2012 hearing (details below).

At the moment, no new Pico Rivera retailer can sell electronic cigarettes. Nonetheless, these same retailers are free to apply for a license to sell cigarettes. Policies like these are contrary to public health, and the Pico Rivera City Council needs to hear from YOU to know that there are people out there who have benefited in tremendous ways from the availability of electronic cigarettes.

The Pico Rivera City Council will holds its next meeting on Tuesday June 25, 2013 at 6:00 PM at the Council Chambers, which is located at 6615 Passons Boulevard in Pico Rivera, CA 90660. There will be an opportunity to make a public comment at the meeting. CASAA is requesting that all of its members in the Pico Rivera, CA area attend and speak in opposition to cigarettes being made more freely available than e-cigarettes. If you can attend, please e-mail us at board@casaa.org with the subject line "Pico Rivera."

Please contact the Pico Rivera City Council, as well as Pico Rivera Community & Economic Development Director Julia Gonzales Julia Gonzalez, at the below e-mail addresses / phone numbers. Tell them your story about how electronic cigarettes helped you quit, send them some snippets from CASAA's vast library of scientific literature on e-cigarettes, and urge them to reject any ordinance that would impact the availability of e-cigarettes in Pico Rivera.

Emails can also be sent to the Mayor & Council at: spena@pico-rivera.org
Mayor Gustavo Camacho
Mayor Pro Tem Brent Tercero
Councilmember Gregory Salcido
Councilmember David W. Armenta
Councilmember Bob Archuleta

Please cc Julia Gonzalez on your e-mails: juliagonzalez@pico-rivera.org

*Note that according to their website, you may also call (562) 801-4371 to speak to a member of the council.

FACE MEAT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2013
Costa Mesa, CA
I was unable to attend, so I submitted a written statement.

You can watch the entire meeting here: Pico Rivera - Watch CTV3 Programming

During the comments from citizens, some wing nut claimed that nicotine is carcinogenic. His claim was promptly shot down by the person who followed him.

I was surprised and impressed by the council's ability to realize that drug paraphernalia and electronic cigarettes are not one in the same. Although they agreed to extend the moratorium an additional 45 days, I have a feeling they'll shoot down the electronic cigarette-related portion of this proposed ordinance.

Thanks to the folks who showed up to fight for the vaping community.

Mimikim1234

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 30, 2013
Chicago
Wow, it looks like vaping is being attacked on so many fronts. I will try to be more active in protecting vaper's rights, and will encourage all my friends to do so; I just don't know where to start. (After all, I firmly believe vaping has prolonged my life, and that's a pretty big debt I owe to e cigs!) I think many vapers, myself included, leave it up to vaping organizations and "vape crusaders" to protect our right to vape, and while they're doing a wonderful job, there's power in numbers, and anyone who vapes should join the fight. If we don't, the day may come where we have to pay ridiculous taxes to vape, only be able to purchase a very limited selection of products, or worse, not be able to vape at all.

sonicdsl

Wandering life's highway
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2011
Wow, it looks like vaping is being attacked on so many fronts. I will try to be more active in protecting vaper's rights, and will encourage all my friends to do so; I just don't know where to start. (After all, I firmly believe vaping has prolonged my life, and that's a pretty big debt I owe to e cigs!) I think many vapers, myself included, leave it up to vaping organizations and "vape crusaders" to protect our right to vape, and while they're doing a wonderful job, there's power in numbers, and anyone who vapes should join the fight. If we don't, the day may come where we have to pay ridiculous taxes to vape, only be able to purchase a very limited selection of products, or worse, not be able to vape at all.

Where to start? I understand that... I've been there! :) Posting here to help your fellow vaper helps. Also, sign up with CASAA (it's free!) and start receiving the Calls to Action in your email (they look like the first post in this thread). Read, and follow the suggestions listed - more times than not, contacts from all are requested & helpful, regardless of your residency.

Check here CASAA - The Consumer Advocates for Smoke-free Alternatives Association for more info. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread