Urgent message from Gregory Conley, President of American Vaping Association...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andromendous

ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2014
Oklahoma, USA
Voting is the only power we have.
Voting and writing your representatives, using your vote to influence political office is the only answer.

Any group or person trying to control the narrative or pushing any action other than voting has an agenda and shouldnt be trusted.

Gregory has an agenda.
He isnt exlerienced enough to hide it.
So whats his agenda then? And how did you come to this conclusion?

HauntedMyst

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2013
Chicago
I'm not so sure a guy with a gold chain around his neck is the right guy to lead us. Is he Phil's brother? I have to be honest, I didn't watch it since there is an Emmanuelle Vaugier episode of CSI: NY on and he was wearing an open collared shirt and gold neck chain. I pictured him rolling up to negotiate with the FDA in a 1978 black Trans Am with the gold bird on the hood, wearing that outfit with a pinky ring and telling the FDA "you'z guyz gotta change dez regz or you are going to get a visit from Paulie." and I switched it off.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
So whats his agenda then? And how did you come to this conclusion?

His agenda is to control the narrative.
Why? Profit is the usual motive.

Gregory offers no solution or plan.
His assiciation has no track record, and he has no experience effecting law.

All he states is to "let the big boys handle it".
In my half century of experience, if it walks like a duck.....;)

Andromendous

ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2014
Oklahoma, USA
His agenda is to control the narrative.
Why? Profit is the usual motive.

Gregory offers no solution or plan.
His assiciation has no track record, and he has no experience effecting law.

All he states is to "let the big boys handle it".
In my half century of experience, if it walks like a duck.....;)
Thats not what i got from it. Maybe you should read it again?

All I've ever seen from this guy is him protesting the truths about vaping. On CNN, on many different documentary's. Dunno where you get this stuff from.

Andromendous

ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2014
Oklahoma, USA
I'm not so sure a guy with a gold chain around his neck is the right guy to lead us. Is he Phil's brother? I have to be honest, I didn't watch it since there is an Emmanuelle Vaugier episode of CSI: NY on and he was wearing an open collared shirt and gold neck chain. I pictured him rolling up to negotiate with the FDA in a 1978 black Trans Am with the gold bird on the hood, wearing that outfit with a pinky ring and telling the FDA "you'z guyz gotta change dez regz or you are going to get a visit from Paulie." and I switched it off.
I typically try not to judge a book by its cover. I just look for intentions. Actions make the man not the suit.

Reactions: Mowgli

charly1954

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 13, 2013
Logan, Indiana
If you lived in Indiana you might think different GREG! Here its time for Protest and action not piddly @rse talks, we're passed that point.

Last yr they passed a law where it is ILLEGAL to make your own juice without a license. Small shop owners cant afford the new requirments for a license and with the new law they CAN NOT BUY out-of-state ejuice, they will be forced to buy juice from only Indiana juice makers who can legally make it. The only companies that can sell to Indiana from outside Indiana are tobacco companies who make E-Juice, I think they are exempt<<<<<<<<<<<<THATS BS....

The bill was sponsered by a Indiana company who wants to MONOPOLIZE All E-Juice sales in Indiana. With the new law anyone who makes E-Juice has to pay for a license, you also have to have monitorying security system, and a sanitized cleanup. There may be other specs on the law but those are just a few.

I DIY my own juice and until they come to my house and search for my DIY juice I will keep making it, cost me about 8¢/ml or $8/100ml.

7sixtwo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2013
the hinterlands
If you lived in Indiana you might think different GREG! Here its time for Protest and action not piddly @rse talks, we're passed that point.

Last yr they passed a law where it is ILLEGAL to make your own juice without a license. Small shop owners cant afford the new requirments for a license and with the new law they CAN NOT BUY out-of-state ejuice, they will be forced to buy juice from only Indiana juice makers who can legally make it. The only companies that can sell to Indiana from outside Indiana are tobacco companies who make E-Juice, I think they are exempt<<<<<<<<<<<<THATS BS....

The bill was sponsered by a Indiana company who wants to MONOPOLIZE All E-Juice sales in Indiana. With the new law anyone who makes E-Juice has to pay for a license, you also have to have monitorying security system, and a sanitized cleanup. There may be other specs on the law but those are just a few.

I DIY my own juice and until they come to my house and search for my DIY juice I will keep making it, cost me about 8¢/ml or $8/100ml.

Conley actually did speak out against those laws, in a hearing held by Indiana state lawmakers.

The other clips I've found of Conley on youtube are pretty good, too. Still, I don't blindly take marching orders from him or anyone else, and I disagree with this particular "urgent message" as it's worded.

Reactions: Lessifer

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Who the hell is this guy to tell others not to exercise their First Amendment rights? He doesn't even give any specific reasons for this self-censorship he advocates.

Piss off, Gregory.

Gregory Colney has worked Tirelessly on behalf of Vaper's at both the Sate and the Federal Level. I have Nothing but Respect for what He and the People He works with Does and has Done.

That said, I think his Wording on this was Very Poorly Chosen. Because He does Not Address what the Negative Impact could be of a Public Rally or a Demonstration.

And that is the Potential for ANY Group of People to get Violent with Counter Protestors and or Law Enforcement. And the Distinct possibility that Anti e-Cigarette Individuals will pose as Pro Supports for the purpose of Inciting and Promoting Violence for TV Cameras.

If you are going to get a Group of People together to Protest something, there has to be a Clear Understanding that it is going to be Done Peacefully. And Coordinators have to have a Plan/Mechanism for keeping a Crowd under control. As well as Individuals Demonstrators have to "police" their own rants. Coordinators also need to Ensure that Any Permits are obtained.

I am a Strong Supporter of a Public Demonstration in DC. And have Suggested that Smaller Rally's could be done on the Major City Sate Level. But Any Rally has to be Done Peacefully. And has to be Highly Organized.

By Now, people should Understand how effective the Media is in Twisting things. And focuses on Reporting the Negative and not the Positive Aspect of something like e-Cigarettes and Tobacco Harm Reduction.

A Rally that Degrades into a Physical Brawl between Anti - Pro Demonstrators is what Mr. Colney sees as the possibility as being Negative. And something the Media would have a Field Day with.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
Thats not what i got from it. Maybe you should read it again?

All I've ever seen from this guy is him protesting the truths about vaping. On CNN, on many different documentary's. Dunno where you get this stuff from.

I have much more experience than Gregory, have held elected office, and understand the task at hand.
Gregory is either working an angle, or he has no clue how our government operates.

From what I see, Gregory is fighting the wrong fight. Intentional? Maybe.

The time for action is now.
We have one move left and that is to influence congress to use some common sense.

There is only one way vapers can influence congressional decisions and that is voting.
We have to show our representatives that if they wont support us, we wont re elect them.

All other efforts are dog and pony shows, and a waste of effort

Contact your local representative and express your thoughts intelligently and maturely.

The last thing we need is another self serving group that "knows whats best for everyone".

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2013
Taxachusetts
Dimitris (The Vaping Greek) is one of the most vocal and effective advocates in our corner.

Greg's been the face of vaping advocacy for years.
He's sharp as a tack, knows his .... forwards backwards and replies instantly with the best, most correct info to every question or attack of misinformation.
Watch as he redirects this reporter's media driven questions and replies with the real problem, explaining how the FDA's published regs are actually an attack on the vaping industry and will effectively ruin it.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Who the hell is this guy to tell others not to exercise their First Amendment rights? He doesn't even give any specific reasons for this self-censorship he advocates.

Piss off, Gregory.

Gregory Colney has worked Tirelessly on behalf of Vaper's at both the Sate and the Federal Level. I have Nothing but Respect for what He and the People He works with Does and has Done.

That said, I think his Wording on this was Very Poorly Chosen. Because He does Not Address what the Negative Impact could be of a Public Rally or a Demonstration.

And that is the Potential for ANY Group of People to get Violent with Counter Protestors and or Law Enforcement. And the Distinct possibility that Anti e-Cigarette Individuals will pose as Pro Supports for the purpose of Inciting and Promoting Violence for TV Cameras.

If you are going to get a Group of People together to Protest something, there has to be a Clear Understanding that it is going to be Done Peacefully. And Coordinators have to have a Plan/Mechanism for keeping a Crowd under control. As well as Individuals Demonstrators have to "police" their own rants. Coordinators also need to Ensure that Any Permits are obtained.

I am a Strong Supporter of a Public Demonstration in DC. And have Suggested that Smaller Rally's could be done on the Major City Sate Level. But Any Rally has to be Done Peacefully. And has to be Highly Organized.

By Now, people should Understand how effective the Media is in Twisting things. And focuses on Reporting the Negative and not the Positive Aspect of something like e-Cigarettes and Tobacco Harm Reduction.

A Rally that Degrades into a Physical Brawl between Anti - Pro Demonstrators is what Mr. Colney sees as the possibility as being Negative. And something the Media would have a Field Day with.

What Zoid said, Conley is definitely on our side, and has been fighting for us the whole time. Watch pretty much any public hearing and you'll see him.

The statement is lacking in that there is no context provided.

Some issues I see with going off without actual planning. The permit and organization issues zoid mentioned. Also, a "demonstration" of 10 people doesn't help us, and could hurt us in the eyes of the public. If these things are going to happen, and they should, they need to be organized for maximum effect, otherwise we become the nutjobs on the corner holding signs.

Of course, everyone is free to do whatever they want.

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
IMHO Greg is a swell guy. I appreciate his efforts and the efforts of those
that have been in it with us.

However when assuming the mantle of leadership as these groups
have it is very important to have a clear and concise message of
where we are and where we are going and, how we are going to get
there. When becoming a spokesman representing these groups it
is incumbent to send a message of unity,clear plans,and marching
orders to the vapers you represent. Stand down and relax is precisely
the opposite message you want to convey at a time like this.
They should be telling us to be mad. Be very,very mad and not
take this anymore. They should be telling us to do everything we can
as individuals and join in with their efforts when they have got their
plan (act) together. This wishy washy contriteness we are seeing
quite frankly has me perplexed.
:2c:
Regards
Mike

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
IMHO Greg is a swell guy. I appreciate his efforts and the efforts of those
that have been in it with us.

However when assuming the mantle of leadership as these groups
have it is very important to have a clear and concise message of
where we are and where we are going and, how we are going to get
there. When becoming a spokesman representing these groups it
is incumbent to send a message of unity,clear plans,and marching
orders to the vapers you represent. Stand down and relax is precisely
the opposite message you want to convey at a time like this.
They should be telling us to be mad. Be very,very mad and not
take this anymore. They should be telling us to do everything we can
as individuals and join in with their efforts when they have got their
plan (act) together. This wishy washy contriteness we are seeing
quite frankly has me perplexed.
:2c:
Regards
Mike
Not to defend him too much, but Conley isn't usually the one calling for people to act, he usually leaves that up to the other groups. You're right though, communication with the "troops" is what has been lacking in this movement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread