Urgent message from Gregory Conley, President of American Vaping Association...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2013
Taxachusetts

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
Also, a "demonstration" of 10 people doesn't help us, and could hurt us in the eyes of the public.
Didn't some once say even bad publicity is good publicity?
Where does this assumption that the public will assume the negative
view point come from? I have never heard of this being an issue from
any non-vapers aside that all vaping is all bad.We have never been called
out for being rude vapers just being vapers. We are getting along just fine here in
Minnesota where it hasn't been banned. Where it has been banned it was never
because the general public was in an uproar. It's all of the usual suspects
that attend all the public meetings. The so called private citizens that
are salaried by the non-profits that attend every meeting and scratch
each others backs. By the general public gets involved the damage has
already been done. The dialog and direction has already been determined.
In this state all legitimate and grassroots avenues of approach are controlled
by non-profits and lobbyists. Being nice to them is never going to work.
It's time to start stepping on some toe's.
:2c:
Regards
Mike

Reactions: 7sixtwo

Andromendous

ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2014
Oklahoma, USA
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Knock it off

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Where does this assumption that the public will assume the negative
view point come from? I have never heard of this being an issue from
any non-vapers aside that all vaping is all bad.We have never been called
out for being rude vapers just being vapers. We are getting along just fine here in
Minnesota where it hasn't been banned. Where it has been banned it was never
because the general public was in an uproar. It's all of the usual suspects
that attend all the public meetings. The so called private citizens that
are salaried by the non-profits that attend every meeting and scratch
each others backs. By the general public gets involved the damage has
already been done. The dialog and direction has already been determined.
In this state all legitimate and grassroots avenues of approach are controlled
by non-profits and lobbyists. Being nice to them is never going to work.
It's time to start stepping on some toe's.
:2c:
Regards
Mike
I agree we need to act, I just think organized is better. That doesn't necessarily mean it has to come from CASAA or SFATA or NBS or wherever. Just my personal opinion, but a gathering of hundreds or thousands protesting will cause me to stop and listen. Five people on a corner holding signs doesn't get my attention.

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
It's very, very serious. Serious as a heart attack. The world needs more people like you who can see beyond the outer shell and discover the beauty or equum stercore within.
Such a beautiful amalgamation of Latin and American English!
I am expanding my everyday dictionary.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Our greatest asset chance for a reprieve is to work through organizations who defend vaping and have the contacts to pull together politicians who can hold the FDA at bay. Write your legislators over and over until you get a reply that actually addresses your concerns, not a canned form letter.

Vaping, IMO, is being attacked to defend big tobacco profits. Government knows that the tobacco companies have Billions more to pay to the states in the Master Settlement Agreement of 1998. That payment extends to 2023. Why else would they attack a product that could attract millions of smokers and save lives? Smoking kills. Vaping has yet to be termed harmful and you know they have tried to find something harmful in the product.

7sixtwo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2013
the hinterlands
I agree we need to act, I just think organized is better. That doesn't necessarily mean it has to come from CASAA or SFATA or NBS or wherever. Just my personal opinion, but a gathering of hundreds or thousands protesting will cause me to stop and listen. Five people on a corner holding signs doesn't get my attention.

Imo, the more demonstrations and protests; the better. No organization/s gets to demand control of them, and no one needs "permission" to exercise their 1st Amendment rights.

Reactions: skoony

7sixtwo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2013
the hinterlands
Gregory Colney has worked Tirelessly on behalf of Vaper's at both the Sate and the Federal Level. I have Nothing but Respect for what He and the People He works with Does and has Done.

That said, I think his Wording on this was Very Poorly Chosen. Because He does Not Address what the Negative Impact could be of a Public Rally or a Demonstration.

And that is the Potential for ANY Group of People to get Violent with Counter Protestors and or Law Enforcement. And the Distinct possibility that Anti e-Cigarette Individuals will pose as Pro Supports for the purpose of Inciting and Promoting Violence for TV Cameras.

If you are going to get a Group of People together to Protest something, there has to be a Clear Understanding that it is going to be Done Peacefully. And Coordinators have to have a Plan/Mechanism for keeping a Crowd under control. As well as Individuals Demonstrators have to "police" their own rants. Coordinators also need to Ensure that Any Permits are obtained.

I am a Strong Supporter of a Public Demonstration in DC. And have Suggested that Smaller Rally's could be done on the Major City Sate Level. But Any Rally has to be Done Peacefully. And has to be Highly Organized.

By Now, people should Understand how effective the Media is in Twisting things. And focuses on Reporting the Negative and not the Positive Aspect of something like e-Cigarettes and Tobacco Harm Reduction.

A Rally that Degrades into a Physical Brawl between Anti - Pro Demonstrators is what Mr. Colney sees as the possibility as being Negative. And something the Media would have a Field Day with.

Why would you assume that there would be any violence at a pro-vaping demonstration? Why would you assume that "Coordinators" would be able to avert that? Why do you capitalize the first letter of every other word in your posts? We're not violent people, and this issue isn't contentious enough to provoke violence from the idiots on the other side. We're not talking about a Trump rally here.

There's nothing wrong with being organized, but you seem to yearn for control, and want to wait for "permission" from some self-appointed authorities, and I sure as hell don't.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Imo, the more demonstrations and protests; the better. No organization/s gets to demand control of them, and no one needs "permission" to exercise their 1st Amendment rights.
I don't see this as someone saying we don't have permission to act, I see it as someone who is actively working for us asking people to be smart about how and when they act. I don't always listen to the advocacy leaders, make your own decisions.

Tempesta

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
Maryland USA
I go back to the antiwar protest days, and I do recall provocateurs causing violence, whch was then blamed on the antiwar folks. Large, polite demonstrations shoudn't be a problem, but there is a reason they always had volunteer marshals. I still think a demonstration is a fine idea, BUT it needs to be well-organized, with one message, not 17. Buses don't magically appear. Permits, which are necessary, don't issue themselves. There is a lot of groundwork to be done if this thing is to be successful.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Why would you assume that there would be any violence at a pro-vaping demonstration? Why would you assume that "Coordinators" would be able to avert that? Why do you capitalize the first letter of every other word in your posts? We're not violent people, and this issue isn't contentious enough to provoke violence from the idiots on the other side. We're not talking about a Trump rally here.

There's nothing wrong with being organized, but you seem to yearn for control, and want to wait for "permission" from some self-appointed authorities, and I sure as hell don't.

I'm Not Assuming anything. I'm saying that the Possibility Exists for a Poorly Planed Rally to get out of hand.

And if No Thought or if there is No Plan/Leadership put into Ensuring that a Rally/Demonstration is not done Peacefully, then the Chances of something getting out of hand Goes Up proportionally to the Amount of people that will Attend. Attended on Both Sides.

Because if you Organize a Pro Rally for something/anything, wouldn't it be a Safe Bet that the Anti People would consider being there Also?

Reactions: Coldrake

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

No. They Didn't. They said Bad Publicity is Bad Publicity.

How well received would it be if a "Vape Rally" got Ugly? And how Many House Reps and or Senators would feel good about being associated with something like that?

I'm Not Saying to not do a Rally. I am a Supporter of Doing One. But it has to be Thought Out, Organized by someone with some Experience, and "Self Policed" to ensure that the Message being presented does Not take a Back Seat to what the News could turn it into.

7sixtwo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2013
the hinterlands
I'm Not Assuming anything. I'm saying that the Possibility Exists for a Poorly Planed Rally to get out of hand.

And if No Thought or if there is No Plan/Leadership put into Ensuring that a Rally/Demonstration is not done Peacefully, then the Chances of something getting out of hand Goes Up proportionally to the Amount of people that will Attend. Attended on Both Sides.

Because if you Organize a Pro Rally for something/anything, wouldn't it be a Safe Bet that the Anti People would consider being there Also?

What's wrong with planning and leadership at a local level? Why would protests need to be organized by a national association? Who cares if the ANTZ show up too? The presence of counter-protesters doesn't ensure violence.

The time for the passive, "gee-golly I wouldn't want to offend or confront anyone" type of attitude you seem to be expressing in this thread is over.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
What's wrong with planning and leadership at a local level? Why would protests need to be organized by a national association? Who cares if the ANTZ show up too? The presence of counter-protesters doesn't ensure violence.

The time for the passive, "gee-golly I wouldn't want to offend or confront anyone" type of attitude you seem to be expressing in this thread is over.

There's Nothing Wrong with Planning something using Leadership on the Local Level. Never said there Wasn't. And I Never said it had to be Planned by a National Association.

But your Last Sentence is Exactly the Attitude that Mr. Conley is warning people about.

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa

No. They Didn't. They said Bad Publicity is Bad Publicity.

How well received would it be if a "Vape Rally" got Ugly? And how Many House Reps and or Senators would feel good about being associated with something like that?

I'm Not Saying to not do a Rally. I am a Supporter of Doing One. But it has to be Thought Out, Organized by someone with some Experience, and "Self Policed" to ensure that the Message being presented does Not take a Back Seat to what the News could turn it into.

The bigger and more organised the rally the more ANTZ agitators will be there.
Regards
Mike

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2013
Taxachusetts
Says page cannot be displayed

Sen. Johnson sent a letter yesterday to FDA Commissioner Robert Califf raising concerns about the agency’s recent e-cigarette regulation, which could create undue burdens on small businesses and possibly lead to negative unintended health consequences.

Johnson asked the FDA whether it will revise its rule if scientific findings indicate that e-cigarettes are safer than traditional cigarettes.

“Unfortunately, the FDA’s attempt to improve the public’s health by scrutinizing the e-cigarette industry could ultimately result in negative unintended health consequences,” Johnson wrote in the letter. “The costly impact the rule will have on e-cigarette manufacturers will stifle innovation and make it harder for e-cigarette companies to continue to offer products that serve as an alternative to smoking. It is possible that without a cost-effective alternative, some consumers will resort to traditional cigarettes.”

Read more here: http://1.usa.gov/1OP1KIN

13241230_1279291245433067_1121766784357590529_n.jpg

7sixtwo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2013
the hinterlands
But your Last Sentence is Exactly the Attitude that Mr. Conley is warning people about.

If we'd been activists starting years ago, this FDA BS never would've gotten as far as it has. Now, they're in the process of trying to destroy the industry. Their tyranny is on the Federal register. It's happening. What will it take for you, (and others), to wake up and stop with the passivity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread