US Senate Democrats double down on bad ecig position

Status
Not open for further replies.

dr g

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2012
Paradise
This is so dismaying, these people supposedly care about public health, science-based legislation, and doing right by the people, and they advance this horrible piece of legislation. Ugh.

WASHINGTON, D.C.— U.S. Senator Tom Harkin (D-IA), Chairman of the Senate Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions (HELP) Committee, joined Senators Barbara Boxer (D-CA), .... Durbin (D-IL), Richard Blumenthal (D-CT), and Edward J. Markey (D-MA) today in introducing the Protecting Children from Electronic Cigarette Advertising Act to prohibit the marketing of e-cigarettes to children and teens.

“When it comes to the marketing of e-cigarettes to children and teens, it’s ‘Joe Camel’ all over again. It is troubling that manufacturers of e-cigarettes – some of whom also make traditional cigarettes – are attempting to establish a new generation of nicotine addicts through aggressive marketing that often uses cartoons and sponsorship of music festivals and sporting events,” Harkin said. “This bill will take strong action to prohibit the advertising of e-cigarettes directed at young people and ensure that the FTC can take action against those who violate the law. While FDA regulation of these products remains critical, this legislation would complement oversight and regulation by the FDA, and ultimately help prevent e-cigarette manufacturers from targeting our children.”
“We cannot risk undoing decades of progress in reducing youth smoking by allowing e-cigarette makers to target our kids,” Boxer said. “This bill will help protect our children from an industry that profits from addiction.”

Durbin
said, “E-cigarette makers are adopting the deplorable marketing tactics once used by tobacco companies to entice children and teenagers into using their addictive product. With fruit and candy flavors and glossy celebrity ads, e-cigarettes makers are undeniably targeting young people. Unfortunately, it’s working. We must take action now to prevent a new generation from walking down the dangerous path towards nicotine addiction.”

US Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor, & Pensions: Newsroom - Press Releases

Note that if Congress passes legislation on ecigs, it trumps whatever the FDA has planned.

Luisa

ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2010
harlingen,texas
This is so dismaying, these people supposedly care about public health, science-based legislation, and doing right by the people, and they advance this horrible piece of legislation. Ugh.

US Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor, & Pensions: Newsroom - Press Releases

Note that if Congress passes legislation on ecigs, it trumps whatever the FDA has planned.
Wouldn"t it be nice if all those "lovelys" were defeated in their next election? All who live in their States should work on that project.

cosmicspitfire

Jan 15, 2014
Waxahachie,TX
  • Deleted by sonicdsl
  • Reason: Inappropriate language

graffiti

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2014
CT
Wouldn"t it be nice if all those "lovelys" were defeated in their next election? All who live in their States should work on that project.

I would eat my shirt if Blumenthol got voted out. For some reason CT seems to love this guy. I'd bet 10:1 that he'll get reelected and completely expect to win.

graffiti

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2014
CT
  • Deleted by sonicdsl
  • Reason: Response to deleted post

VapieDan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2013
Flint, Michigan, United States

Notice it is the same lame brain people on all the stupid legislation? I keep forgetting only children like sweet flavors. I wonder what is in these legislators cookie jars at home. Yup high taxes are the goal. Demonize first then there is no excuse not to regulate and tax. No one protested the curb on cigarette flavors. After all they were aimed at children. It worked once they will go again. How dare the government mandate marketing on ANY legitimate product. How silly of me they already do! Legislators are not sportsman they prefer "Sitting Ducks"!

Endor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southern California

I'm with you... but Highly unlikely with Boxer, who was listed as a sponsor. The 2010 race with Fiorina was about as close as she ever got to defeat, but alas, didn't happen. Seems both of them are untouchable in California, for reasons I don't fully understand.

LDS714

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2013
Nashville, TN, USA
I'm with you... but Highly unlikely with Boxer, who was listed as a sponsor. The 2010 race with Fiorina was about as close as she ever got to defeat, but alas, didn't happen. Seems both of them are untouchable in California, for reasons I don't fully understand.
Because they bring home the bacon.

It's easy for them to buy votes when they've been there for so long. All they have to do is keep saying the right things (irrespective of what they're actually doing to their constituency) and keep bringing enough Federally extorted tax dollars back to their districts/states.

Again, follow the money...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread