USA Manufactured PV (From CaSH and Friends)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaSHMeRe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2008
USA
at this point ... I really feel 3.6-3.7v is too weak for 801 atty's ... Vapor/Taste/Throat hit are far FARRR superior at higher voltages ... Running a USBpass today at 5v direct on an 801 atty using a standard tact switch with no up/down boost converter, proved to me ... the real 801/4072 stomping grounds are between 5v - 6v+ ... anything less is quite .... sad ...

On the other hand, 3.7v is GREAT on a 901 atomizer. Vapor/Throat Hit/Flavor are all very pronounced and it functions quite well. A 901 can perform well at 5v ... however, anything higher, and A) Vapor turns to molten metal in your mouth B) throat hit turns to needles going down C) Flavor ... not even sure what that is running a 901 at 6v :)

So, with that said ... I will stick with my recommendations ... haha

801/4072 atomizers are best used in the 5v - 7v range
901 and smaller atomizers are best used in the 3.7v - 5v range

CaSHMeRe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2008
USA
That's ok, just got into vaping a couple weeks ago. All of it confuses me :?:

Tried to buy from you but you had no stock :(

I ended up with a 901 and am afraid if I use the 801 with 6V, I won't want to go back to 3.7 and I just bought this thing.
Actually, I'm pretty happy with it.

I'm thinking about the 801 because of cartridge size. You can use a cartridge, can't you?
I live in rural Tn, so everything is at least a 1 hour drive, sometimes 2. Want uninterrupted drive time and thought the
Prodigy 801 with a cartridge would be just the ticket. Am I wrong there?

Also, I come to Nashville every so often for supplies. Any chance you'll have a retail outlet or at least allow local pickups?

I will test a cartridge (as I said I would earlier and I apologize about that) this evening - or what's left of it - and tomorrow, and will let you know whether or not the 801 at 6v's performs well with cartridges. If it does, You may want to keep the 901 as your out and about ecig. The 901 is an awesome device, so you want to make sure you take full advantage of that ecig. The Prodigy 801 can be used for drives/home/work/etc... :)

nevergonnaleavetn

ECF Veteran
May 2, 2009
I will test a cartridge (as I said I would earlier and I apologize about that) this evening - or what's left of it - and tomorrow, and will let you know whether or not the 801 at 6v's performs well with cartridges. If it does, You may want to keep the 901 as your out and about ecig. The 901 is an awesome device, so you want to make sure you take full advantage of that ecig. The Prodigy 801 can be used for drives/home/work/etc... :)

Would appreciate any advice you can give.

Thanks

Walrus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2009
Baton Rouge, LA
at this point ... I really feel 3.6-3.7v is too weak for 801 atty's ... Vapor/Taste/Throat hit are far FARRR superior at higher voltages ... Running a USBpass today at 5v direct on an 801 atty using a standard tact switch with no up/down boost converter, proved to me ... the real 801/4072 stomping grounds are between 5v - 6v+ ... anything less is quite .... sad ...

On the other hand, 3.7v is GREAT on a 901 atomizer. Vapor/Throat Hit/Flavor are all very pronounced and it functions quite well. A 901 can perform well at 5v ... however, anything higher, and A) Vapor turns to molten metal in your mouth B) throat hit turns to needles going down C) Flavor ... not even sure what that is running a 901 at 6v :)

So, with that said ... I will stick with my recommendations ... haha

801/4072 atomizers are best used in the 5v - 7v range
901 and smaller atomizers are best used in the 3.7v - 5v range

Gotta keep in mind though that even at 3.7v, the 801 is getting more power than on a standard 801 battery. Folks making that jump are going to see an increase in production that might be enough for them. At the moment, I'm happy with my 801 on the SD (I still use the 901 for when I want some 'bite'). To me, the 801 hasn't been about throat hit anyway. That said... I want to try it at 6v as soon as possible ;)

Sar

ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
New York, NY
Steve, I know this will probably sound silly, but could you stock a battery charger that doesn't use just red/green color to indicate charge status? I think about 10% of population has color vision problems where red/green is really difficult or impossible to distinguish. A blinking/solid light to indicate charging/charged would be good. Or perhaps if the red and green were two separate LEDs -- people would at least be able to know that if the light (whatever color it is) on the "left" is on, the battery is charged, etc.

franklyspeaking

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 17, 2009
Arlington, Texas
www.pharceapp.com
I waffled on the prodigy because my experience with 6v was harsh but that was limited to a 901 magnum mod. I think you bring up a good point that the 801 and cigar atomizers are a better fit for this voltage. I have since ordered one and am interested to see if the 801 is less harsh at 6v than the 901. I know I peppered a thread or two about my experience at 6 volts and wanted to make it clear that my experience was based on the 901. Seeing that Cash agrees that there is not much point in running a 901 at 6 volts I believe the 801 is worth a shot and as Walrus and Cash already stated if it is too harsh then I'll run the prodigy at 3.7 volts on the 18650 battery. Another good point was brought up about lowering the nicotine level to reduce the throat kick is an option as well.

Cash, the threads pertaining to the prodigy are becoming increasingly difficult to weed answers out of for people. Questions about the anticipated release schedule in terms of the unit, future adapters, etc... Would it be possible to do a sticky FAQ pertaining to the prodigy? Just as you get questions if they can be answered in the FAQ that would make it much easier I think.

Figurehead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2009
Las Vegas Nevada
www.myspace.com
Steve, I know this will probably sound silly, but could you stock a battery charger that doesn't use just red/green color to indicate charge status? I think about 10% of population has color vision problems where red/green is really difficult or impossible to distinguish. A blinking/solid light to indicate charging/charged would be good. Or perhaps if the red and green were two separate LEDs -- people would at least be able to know that if the light (whatever color it is) on the "left" is on, the battery is charged, etc.

AMEN! I am severely color blind and these darn chargers drive me nuts.

Obi Wan

ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2009
Florida

Thanks Steve,, waiting for the 901 cartridge test.
and paitience is the toughest part of this prodigy right now..lol
is your machine shop supplier making these right now ?
im guessing they have a cnc lathe or 2 running to keep up with an order for qty 1000..
and a good place to get a quick turn around on the black anodize and etching...

i think the next step is a cartridge without filler but one that can be filled with some liquid and with an automatic dripping button.
i have one designed that i must say is awesome but im going to wait for a prodigy before i make a few prototypes at my friends shop.

Obi Wan

ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2009
Florida
Looks just like the GG. Atleast we don't have to order from Greece. If I was Steve, I would have this tested first by a few experienced user before putting it out on the market. The vets understand what I am talking about.

Looks like he tested it in the video,, but i think a test with a filled 901 cartridge would be good just to see if dripping a few drops and filling a cartridge would give us an hour or so of not having to re drip..

fjames

ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2009
Bluegrass USA
Hmm, well, I'm an old flashlight hobbyist, and although I'm no expert, I've picked up enough info about batteries over the years to hopefully not burn down the house or ingest toxic chemicals.

If I decide to go the dual cell route with my pen PV, I'll be buying an appropriate charger for it. Not saying it's dangerous, but the LiFePO4 is being a bit abused by not using an appropriate charger. The fact that it's inherently safe is good, nice to see in a product that by design you have to stick in your face, but it's not designed to be charged on a standard 4.3V charger.

Any chance I could swap the included charger for a 18650 cell? Just asking ...

trollmonger

Apr 4, 2009
heres my mod :) 2 penstyle's with 801 atomizers... the hits are unreal

funny thing i was going to ask Steve if it was possible to manufacture a duel tip
where you put it in 2 pens but has only one tip.. ya know like the shape of a tuning fork
but am pretty sure the Prodigy will get me the hits i want!!!

100_2538.jpg

100_2539.jpg

Last edited:
i think the next step is a cartridge without filler but one that can be filled with some liquid and with an automatic dripping button.
i have one designed that i must say is awesome but im going to wait for a prodigy before i make a few prototypes at my friends shop.

I am working on this. Got something I am calling the "companion" to the Prodigy. Testing it on other models now. Drips great... holds appx 3ML.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread