USB/battery/passthrough questions, etc. after 23 days

Status
Not open for further replies.

SharonLM

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Hi all, I've been vaping now for 23 days. I've used the RN4081 (first purchase) the 510 and the 801. I've had just enough vaping now to formulate some questions and hope you can help me.

1) Can you over charge a battery? I leave mine in even AFTER the first charge for about 8 hours

2) I've tried charging 3 or 4 batteries so I'll always have a spare, but they seem to lose their charge (and I DO unscrew the atomizer), so, do they? Do we have to have freshly charged batteries? All the ones mentioned above seem to lose their charges

3) The 801 LED at the end will glow for no reason. When it is unscrewed from the atomizer. When the atomizer is screwed in and just laying down, etc. I'll look over and there's that LED glowing...it does this on each of the batteries I have used.

4) I've now got passthroughs for the 510, the 801 and the RN4081. The 510 from TW has a little battery box with a blue battery (I think it's 360mah) and the 801 and 4081 don't have that little battery box. What is the difference when it comes to usage? Any?

OK, I think that's it for now. Sure would appreciate any help!

Sharon

Jim Davis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009
Retired in Houston, Texas / USA
Hi all, I've been vaping now for 23 days. I've used the RN4081 (first purchase) the 510 and the 801. I've had just enough vaping now to formulate some questions and hope you can help me.

1) Can you over charge a battery? I leave mine in even AFTER the first charge for about 8 hours

I've done this before, but usually charge for 2 to 3 hours. I haven't burned up a battery yet, but it's possible to damage the battery. Take the charger into account too. If the charger screws up overnight, you may wake up to a fried battery.

2) I've tried charging 3 or 4 batteries so I'll always have a spare, but they seem to lose their charge (and I DO unscrew the atomizer), so, do they? Do we have to have freshly charged batteries? All the ones mentioned above seem to lose their charges

They *do* loose some of their stored power while sitting. As they get older, they'll loose power faster.

3) The 801 LED at the end will glow for no reason. When it is unscrewed from the atomizer. When the atomizer is screwed in and just laying down, etc. I'll look over and there's that LED glowing...it does this on each of the batteries I have used.

I don't have an 801, but there are two different types of switches. The vacuum switch, which activates when you draw on it. The sound sensitive switch which senses the sound of the air rushing by. If it's sound sensitive, any loud noise will activate it. Keep your atty loose when in noisy areas or your e-cig will vape by itself. The way to see which one you have is to look at the LED, and blow on the atty end. If it lights up when you blow on it, it's sound sensitive. I use the batts with the vacuum switch because I work in noisy places.

4) I've now got passthroughs for the 510, the 801 and the RN4081. The 510 from TW has a little battery box with a blue battery (I think it's 360mah) and the 801 and 4081 don't have that little battery box. What is the difference when it comes to usage? Any?

The battery just stores power as far as I know. It should still work when unplugged. The others won't. (I'm not 100% sure about my explanation, since I don't have a passthrough with a battery, but that's how I think it works.)

OK, I think that's it for now. Sure would appreciate any help!

Sharon

SharonLM

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Thanks Jim, as always!! I am coming to the conclusion that the art of e-ciging is a learned science..:confused: ;) All the questions I've been reading, all the likes and dislikes, all the variety with different models and add in the different way people like to use these little gems, well it truly is a personal learning experience to find out what we like and how vaping works best for the individual.

So far I like the 801 the best of the three models I have. I also have the IOlite/I-inhale coming and look forward to that, although from what I've read that is definitely going to be a learning experience.

I just blew on the battery and the led didn't come on, yet it will many times when it is just sitting and there's no noise. I think, again, from all I've read that batteries and atomizers can be finicky. That's OK with me, I'm still so grateful for these.

I have also found that my favorite way of vaping is with a passthrough. Whether it's plugged into a wall USB or through my kensington power pack. But it looks a little funny for me when I'm out shopping or with friends to be packing an e-cig with a long wire on it.

Sharon

yvilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2008
Rochester, NY
The other difference with regard to the passthrough with the inline battery is that it will operate at the voltage of the battery - 3.6v - and thus will be exactly the same as using a standard ecig battery in terms of voltage. The atomizer is getting it's power from the battery, and the USB cable is simply charging the battery.

The passthroughs without an inline battery are powering the atomizer directly from the power source - whether it be a USB port, a USB wall plug, or a USB power pack like your Kensington. So they are operating at 5v, and so theoretically or actually are providing stronger hits than when using only 3.6v.

Jim Davis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009
Retired in Houston, Texas / USA
The other difference with regard to the passthrough with the inline battery is that it will operate at the voltage of the battery - 3.6v - and thus will be exactly the same as using a standard ecig battery in terms of voltage. The atomizer is getting it's power from the battery, and the USB cable is simply charging the battery.

The passthroughs without an inline battery are powering the atomizer directly from the power source - whether it be a USB port, a USB wall plug, or a USB power pack like your Kensington. So they are operating at 5v, and so theoretically or actually are providing stronger hits than when using only 3.6v.

thanks for jumping in here yvilla. You have a better way of explaining it, and right on the money too.:thumb:

SharonLM

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran

Thanks yvilla! Makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread