USB MOD - Penstyle / DSE801 - No Battery Sacrifice

Status
Not open for further replies.

TxTrouble

ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2008
Near Dallas, Texas
Holy cow, Batman... I finally figured it out!

Since I smoke a pen-style exclusively (for now), I've been hoping and wishing that someone would beat me to the punch. All the while trying to "fit" my atomizer onto various screw-type contraptions. Today I finally found one that would work. It's not even close to perfect, but that first thread catches just enough to hold the battery connection tight without stripping any threads.

What IS perfect is that no drilling is needed, just a bit of soldering and some creative thinking. I've included a pic .. anyone want to take a guess at what I used for the connection?

N-

Attachments

• 801USBMOD (7).jpg
    801USBMOD (7).jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 134
  • 801USBMOD (1).jpg
    801USBMOD (1).jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 141

TxTrouble

ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2008
Near Dallas, Texas
:thumb:

You both got it! Basically, it's the same concept that Maddog had with his tire chuck/tank valve.

It's actually a coax connector, the type you use to connect 2 cables. You can pick them up just about anywhere. The trick is that it's got 2 sides and the "flat" side is the one that has the nice fit. The interior is already insulated, so no drilling. Grind down the head of a 6d nail, push it through the connector till it sticks out the other end. Adjust so that the nail just touches the contact. The fit is tight enough it won't slip once adjusted. Solder it up, and you're good to go.

Fortunatley, I had all the parts lying about so this mod didn't cost me anything.

1. Switch - from the "laser" on a cheap soft-pellet gun.
2. F-Type Female-Female Splice Connector (coax)
3. 1 1/2" 6D nail
4. USB Cable
5. Various bits of shrink-tube

N-

madog

ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2008
Oregon - USA
YES- Great job - I have never seen a pen style connector and I was wondering what would fit - Cool!!!

:thumb:

You both got it! Basically, it's the same concept that Maddog had with his tire chuck/tank valve.

It's actually a coax connector, the type you use to connect 2 cables. You can pick them up just about anywhere. The trick is that it's got 2 sides and the "flat" side is the one that has the nice fit. The interior is already insulated, so no drilling. Grind down the head of a 6d nail, push it through the connector till it sticks out the other end. Adjust so that the nail just touches the contact. The fit is tight enough it won't slip once adjusted. Solder it up, and you're good to go.

Fortunatley, I had all the parts lying about so this mod didn't cost me anything.

1. Switch - from the "laser" on a cheap soft-pellet gun.
2. F-Type Female-Female Splice Connector (coax)
3. 1 1/2" 6D nail
4. USB Cable
5. Various bits of shrink-tube

N-

TxTrouble

ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2008
Near Dallas, Texas
Sure. I've included pics of the cable "disassembled".

One leg of the switch is soldered directly to the connector (rough it up a little to get it to stick). The shrink tubing will cinch it all up and really hold it in place. If you've got a switch with other "legs" you can wrap the lower portion of the connector in electrical tape (or more shrink tubing) to insulate it.

Good Luck!
N-

Attachments

• USB MOD (2).jpg
    USB MOD (2).jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 93
  • USB MOD (4).jpg
    USB MOD (4).jpg
    20 KB · Views: 79
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread