• being attached to computer means never loosing e-cig
  • the cord is of ample length
The bad:

• cost twice as much as a battery
  • only lasts a few weeks before breaking
  • the wire connection is weak and should be reinforced
  • not portable; must have a battery back-up
  • not as powerful as a battery
  • possibly damages USB ports (can use USB to outlet converter to avoid)
  • hard to see LED light up
Overall, I would say pass on the pass-through until the manufactures come out with a more reliable wire connection.

They are absolute heaven for the first 2 weeks, but to me that is not worth $20 when you can get a battery for $10 that lasts for a looooong time.

Please add any of your own points and I will update the list. There is always the possibility that I received 2 bad ones in a row. I want this to be as unbiased as possible.

Last edited:

Cellmeister

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2009
Beantown, USA
Hi Kaston,

Great Review!

But May I Suggest That You Should Really Be Plugging The USB Pass Through Plug Into A Separate Powered USB Hub (not directly into your USB Port) or AC to USB Powered Adapter to Avoid Issues To Your Computer USB Port. You Will Also Get Full Power Through The USB Pass Through This Way. It Makes A Big Difference And You Won't Have To Worry About Damage...

Keep Vapin!

Kaston

ECF Veteran
Dec 14, 2008
Texas, USA
Hi Kaston,

Great Review!

But May I Suggest That You Should Really Be Plugging The USB Pass Through Plug Into A Separate Powered USB Hub (not directly into your USB Port) or AC to USB Powered Adapter to Avoid Issues To Your Computer USB Port. You Will Also Get Full Power Through The USB Pass Through This Way. It Makes A Big Difference And You Won't Have To Worry About Damage...

Keep Vapin!

Thanks!

Yes in the future I will, but my current USB is dead and if I can get it fixed, I have planned on doing just that.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
You can solve the "portability issue" by purchasing a portable battery pack for the usb pass-through such as this one from Kennsington (Kensington - Portable Power Pack for Select Mobile Devices - Black - K38021) and make your usb power portable. Make sure the power pack is at least 1000mAh power output.

Some people have suggested putting electrical tape around the cord where it goes into the unit to prevent wire separation. And you can also secure the pass-through to the power pack with a rubber band or tape and not have to worry about the cord moving. You get about 2-3 days of power with the power pack.

Elwin

ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009
Missouri, USA
Kaston: All very good points!

Cellmeister and wv2win: Good short term solutions, but when all is said and done, still just that: short term solutions to a long term problem. The USB passthrough still needs development to solve the poor design and potential damage risk to computer usb systems.

A proper passthrough battery shouldn't have to depend on repairs needed before you even use them, nor expensive add-ons that most users have to find out about after the fact.
Until those things are addressed, they are at best "tinker toys" for hobbyists, and really aren't ready for mainstream use.

Last edited:

Kaston

ECF Veteran
Dec 14, 2008
Texas, USA
You can solve the "portability issue" by purchasing a portable battery pack for the usb pass-through...
Some people have suggested putting electrical tape around the cord where it goes into the unit to prevent wire separation...

That does not make it very portable actually.:( I don't mind being tethered to a computer, but I don't know if I would like to have a wire coming from my purse and attaching to something I am sucking on. Me thinks t is just asking for unwanted negative attention.

And I have done the electrical tape. It stops the up/down/side to side motion, but will not stop the twisting motion that causes the damage.

I think the rubber band suggestion would fix the issue and will give that a go if/when I invest in a 3rd USB pass through.

olddaddy

ECF Veteran
Feb 11, 2009
Chicago
but I don't know if I would like to have a wire coming from my purse and attaching to something I am sucking on. Me thinks t is just asking for unwanted negative attention.

I just put my battery pack in a front pants pocket and my passthru in my shirt pocket when not puffing, cord looks like i have an ipod I am not listening to. I guess it might be different for women tho.

Ladycats

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2008
Western North Carolina
I wonder if I could use superglue, to hold the wire in 1 place where it goes into the LED? Wouldn't it secure from rotating movements?

My son did the superglue thing, I went with the electrical tape ... his lasted a week, maybe two longer than mine ...

Great review Kaston ... I totally agree !

Oceaneco

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2009
Santa Fe, NM
I bought some electrical wire shrink wrap and used my blow dryer to shrink it! I purchased it at Home Depot, but was told auto part stores sell it in more sizes. So far, so good!!:D

It seems to be pretty firm. I put it so that 1" is on the battery end and 1" is on the cord. You can also slice a straw to put on the cord first and then slide the straw into the shrink wrap up to the battery and this will add more firmness around the cord.

The Wiz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2009
Whiskeyville USA
That does not make it very portable actually.:( I don't mind being tethered to a computer, but I don't know if I would like to have a wire coming from my purse and attaching to something I am sucking on. Me thinks t is just asking for unwanted negative attention.

And I have done the electrical tape. It stops the up/down/side to side motion, but will not stop the twisting motion that causes the damage.

I think the rubber band suggestion would fix the issue and will give that a go if/when I invest in a 3rd USB pass through.
Kas....You might want to use some sort of super-glue on the ends to prevent the twisting and possible pulling on the wire...The Gorilla Glue worked well for me! You also might want to try Besteciggs...if you decide to get another, or several more....shipping is high...but on a bulk order you can pick them up for about $10 apiece...I love mine..the one I'm using right now has lasted for 2 months...like you said..maybe you got 2 bad ones in a row...seems unlikely though!...Good Luck:The Wiz!

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
Kaston: All very good points!

Cellmeister and wv2win: Good short term solutions, but when all is said and done, still just that: short term solutions to a long term problem. The USB passthrough still needs development to solve the poor design and potential damage risk to computer usb systems.

A proper passthrough battery shouldn't have to depend on repairs needed before you even use them, nor expensive add-ons that most users have to find out about after the fact.
Until those things are addressed, they are at best "tinker toys" for hobbyists, and really aren't ready for mainstream use.

I agree with 100%. Too much of these devices are crap and poorly made. Unfortunately our choices are limited. The best solution is either buy a screwdriver, as I did, or make a mod that gives good power, throat hit and battery life. You still have the weak atomizers, but you just have to buy plenty of them and also learn how to clean them.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
Folks...When using the Glue Method I hung the battery end off the end of a table and put one or two drops right at the connection where the wire goes into the LED...and let it dry overnight..very solid now...did the same with the other end also..It will prolong the life of these things!:)The Wiz!

Good advice, Wiz, I'll try that.

lachesis

ECF Veteran
Mar 30, 2009
NJ, USA
Folks...When using the Glue Method I hung the battery end off the end of a table and put one or two drops right at the connection where the wire goes into the LED...and let it dry overnight..very solid now...did the same with the other end also..It will prolong the life of these things!:)The Wiz!

I think the glue method would be good, if one's being very careful not to pull, yank, or twist it too. I might go with this route.

Just wondering.. is it hard to pull out the LED part so that I can do some enforcement inside? I might add some epoxy putty inside, so that it's impervious to anything, but I don't have the unit yet. (Hopefully soon.)

MoonMan

ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2009
The problem is that the USB cable they use for these things is crap. It won't take much abuse - the wires broke inside the cable at BOTH ends on mine.

I rebuilt mine using a much sturdier cable from a broken mouse. I cut out the old cable entirely, soldered the new wires in, and hot glued the cable into place. Now I can fold it up, bend it, give it all kinds of abuse and it has help up problem-free for about a month now.

If you don't want to go through all that, I would still recommend coating the cable ends with hot glue. It's especially good for the LED end since it's clear - I could barely see it light up before, now the light pipes all throughout the hot glue seal.

I have never had a problem with vapor production or damaging the USB port with my passthrough, so I don't agree with all that.

Last edited:

lachesis

ECF Veteran
Mar 30, 2009
NJ, USA
The problem is that the USB cable they use for these things is crap. It won't take much abuse - the wires broke inside the cable at BOTH ends on mine.

I rebuilt mine using a much sturdier cable from a broken mouse. I cut out the old cable entirely, soldered the new wires in, and hot glued the cable into place. Now I can fold it up, bend it, give it all kinds of abuse and it has help up problem-free for about a month now.

If you don't want to go through all that, I would still recommend coating the cable ends with hot glue. It's especially good for the LED end since it's clear - I could barely see it light up before, now the light pipes all throughout the hot glue seal.

I have never had a problem with vapor production or damaging the USB port with my passthrough, so I don't agree with all that.

I see. Hot glue gun... might be a good option. :D Super Glue + Hot Glue coating might be the best option, I guess.

Anyhow, if may I ask, how hard was it to remove the LED in the front? Was it hard...? I'm also thinking about disassemble the thing and re-inforce from inside.

Kaston

ECF Veteran
Dec 14, 2008
Texas, USA

There is no problem with vapor production; like I said it was very consistent. It is just not as much as a battery.

For the USB port damage, it did not break it, just made it sensitive to static charges. As is a small static discharge from me will turn off and electronic plugged into the port and I have to unplug and replug into the port to reset.

MoonMan

ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2009
I see. Hot glue gun... might be a good option. :D Super Glue + Hot Glue coating might be the best option, I guess.

Anyhow, if may I ask, how hard was it to remove the LED in the front? Was it hard...? I'm also thinking about disassemble the thing and re-inforce from inside.

You just carefully pop the cap off - nothing to it. The LED is part of a tiny circuit board that sits in the tube underneath the cap and is attached to the cable.

I had to drill the hole in the cap bigger to accept the wider cable, but other than that it's just a matter of popping the cap, cutting the old wire and installing the new.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread