Status
Not open for further replies.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
USB pass thru with a battery and without a battery pros and cons?
Re: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/new-members-forum/465080-whats-pass-through.html
The two major types of pass thru's are through the battery and the standalone current to the coil. I think the through the battery types are nice because i think you are charging the battery between vaping.

I have read that battery life is dependent on a number or factors. One of the factors being how many cycles in it's life depends on the number of times you (near discharge to full charge) cycle it. I also get the impression from reading on this subject that our Lith-ion batteries can set for some weeks and loose negligible current drain under ideal conditions.

My question is this: Since our batteries can be expensive, would it be cost effective to have two types of these pass thru's?
Use the through the battery mainly to recharge the battery for battery only use and use the standalone type when near a power source?

The above statement make sense to me but I can not find any collaboration from the standpoint of cons for this line of thinking.
By collaboration in the sentence above, I mean I can find no web article or blog nor sales information regarding the "Question". Talked to many vendors and none seems to know a great deal.
Anyone knowledgeable about my question is welcome to reply and include ref's if possible.

HMav

Aug 11, 2014
Melbourne, FL, United States
The typical USB port on your computer as well as the run of the mill USB chargers do not provide enough peak current to vape. The battery in a pass through device only manages to charge because it is charging continually and being used intermittently, the power required to heat the coils is still primarily coming from the battery.

That said, higher current chargers and power supplies are available, and battery side 510 connectors are readily available. There is no real obstacle to making a "mains powered" vape.

Personally, I really don't like having a wire attached to my PV, enough so that I am more than willing to accept that I need to replace batteries more frequently.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
What HMAV said. ^^^^^

500ma is the general design current for USB 2.0. USB 3.0 can go to 900ma. They are good for charging and will boost your vape on a low battery while it's charging, but most USB passthroughs I've used have a battery box for a buffer to give you a decent vape. I wouldn't expect much vapor without an inline battery.

I plug my iStick in and vape while charging. Plugging it in to a USB port provides a noticeable vapor increase. Not having to carry a spare charged 18650 when I'm out and about is a plus. The presence of the built in 18650 provides a buffer to allow vaping while charging.

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
"There is no real obstacle to making a "mains powered" vape."--- I'm thinking this might be (hope) correct .

"I wouldn't expect much vapor without an inline battery."-- Here I don't know. Could be correct.
Thanks both for input.

Vaping a 2 ohm coil at 3.7v produces a current load of 1.85A and 6.8 watts. USB isn't going to give you that kind of current (1850ma) unless you have a charged battery in the circuit to boost the current production. Then, it can charge the battery at 500ma/900ma and provide extended vaping time while the charging is going on. The more you vape, the longer the charge will take, though.

It's easy to get the power for a mains fed vape. You just need a power supply that can provide several amps at 3.7v to power your vape. A VV/VW mod can convert that up and down in voltage.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
DavieP--Right, I agree. makes sense. I see what you are referring too.

This still brings me back to my original question. Does it make sense to have two types of USB chargers.
One for battery thru USB wall (for use in charging primarily) and one thru wall directly to Atty (Thus saving the battery cycle wear)? The advantage being, that you use your battery primarily for mobile purposes only and greatly extend the docile battery service life.

One could charge the battery directly thru the computer USB and at the same time vape on wall USB "mains powered" vape.
I should have made this clearer to begin with, my apologies.

Anyone?

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
DavieP--Right, I agree. makes sense. I see what you are referring too.

This still brings me back to my original question. Does it make sense to have two types of USB chargers.
One for battery thru USB wall (for use in charging primarily) and one thru wall directly to Atty (Thus saving the battery cycle wear)? The advantage being, that you use your battery primarily for mobile purposes only and greatly extend the docile battery service life.

One could charge the battery directly thru the computer USB and at the same time vape on wall USB "mains powered" vape.
I should have made this clearer to begin with, my apologies.

Anyone?

Your plan sounds like a good one. Charge on one USB adapter and vape on the other. You'd need something like the one in the link below. It's 4.8 amps/24 watts. It should work well on a USB based VV/VW mod, but I haven't tried that yet. It's a 5v charger with enough oomph to run most any mod with a USB port for charging. It might help to name a mod that you intend to use just for reference.

http://www.amazon.com/Wall-Charger-Limefuel-L48WC-Blackberry/dp/B00FW1GE9S

Last edited:

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
DaveP : "It might help to name a mod that you intend to use just for reference."

Using:
5v Nominal (prob. around 4.? volts actual) battery. Anyway, need the ability to vape at around 5 volts.
Wall charger single port (110/240 wall to USB) rated: 5.1 volts with 2.1 top amp output with approx. 11 watts.(step down transformer?)
I think around 11 watts is plenty for my atty.

Wall charger: "http://www.amazon.com/Wall-Charger-L.../dp/B00FW1GE9S "--Great spec's. I think my present wall charger above might do the job.

What I'm proposing to purchase: Here is get really tricky.
Any suggestions for someone who sells a cost effective nominal 5 volt "mains powered" pass thru?

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I'm wondering why you don't just use a Vision Spinner II or some other mod and be free of the cord. Buy two on sale and charge one while you vape the other.

I could understand vaping on a passthrough if you have a desk job that allows you to vape at work. Otherwise, I like something I can walk around with and keep in my pocket when I'm not using it.

The Eleaf iStick is a popular USB based mod that's small and compact with variable voltage and variable wattage. You can vape while it's plugged in and charging or disconnect it and vape all day on a charge. That may just be what you are looking for.

Last edited:
Just wanted to pass on my experience with batteryless USB passthrough via a 2.0 amp USB charger for a Samsung phone.
The USB passthrough device works ok using a 2.0 ohm coil via a powered USB hub and on my laptop USB ports. However, It doesn't work correctly when plugged into the AC powered USB charger. With the tank connected it blinks blue 5 times when first plugged in or when the button is pressed. With the tank disconnected it acts normally, can 5 click through the voltage settings. As soon as the tank is reconnected, it blinks blue 5 times again.
This is the passthrough device:
USB Pasthrough.jpg
This is the USB charger:
Samsung charger.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread