USB Pass through

Status
Not open for further replies.

anmldr

Apr 14, 2009
I purchased one. Thought it was GREAT! I was getting more of a hit...I could smoke (vape) at my computer or in my vehicle easily. I have only been using it about 1 week. Now it stopped working. I suspect that the wire has come loose inside :-(

I was hoping that this would be more reliable and last longer than a battery. Unfortunately that has not worked out this way.

Suggestions? I went ahead and purchased a couple of replacement ones. How do you take off the end of a 901 USB Pass through? Then just have my husband solder the wires back?

Linda

LuckySevens4U

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2009
USA
The one thing people are going to have to watch with the manual switch, whether it be these new ones from China or the new ones that PS is putting out, I would not leave it plugged in unattended. If your switch got stuck down and you didn't know it, and you walked away, you will fry your attys and it's a potential fire hazzard. I think the manual ones will be more effective and hopefully last longer, but I would just keep an eye on them. When I walk away from my desk or car or where ever my passthrough is, I just make a habit of unplugging it from the power source just to be on the safe side. These automatic ones break down so fast cuz the switches get stuck.

breakfastchef

Moved On
Feb 12, 2009
Suggestions? I went ahead and purchased a couple of replacement ones. How do you take off the end of a 901 USB Pass through? Then just have my husband solder the wires back?

Manual passthrough is the way to go.

The chances are there is a wire break at the end of the passthrough where the wire enters the plastic cap. Just have your husband pry it off carefully and look at the wires for any obvious break. I have one with a wire break right where the wire went through the cap and was not so obvious. I just smipped off 1/2" of sheath, stripped the wires, soldered and I was back in business. A multimeter can be helpful in tracking these problems down.

dedmonwakin

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2009
Destin,FL.
Is there a way to unstick the switch?

Linda
Probably not. I had this problem with a few batteries and decided to dissect the batteries hoping to fix the switches since the batteries were still good. I got to see just how genius this device really was and just how delicate as well.

The problem with the switch sticking is because the housing of the switch may either have gotten flooded with fluid causing this membrane with in it to have a firm grip in its position or just wedged into an unusual position that it just won't budge out of.

The "membrane" is a small disc like shaped silicone or latex with a very thin metal contact point below and above it, (kind of the shape of a saucer). When you suck or blow on it, it forces the silicone/latex membrane down or up and causes the thin metal prongs to make contact to complete the circuit.

If liquid is in there, you could try lightly sucking and gently blowing where the atomizer gets connected. The problem with that is you may worsen the position of the membrane, deform it, or just get no results from it.

This is if the switch is the actual problem.

If it's the usb line, that would be the easiest fix. Just a matter of resoldering it. To prevent it from happening again, once fixed. Get some 2 part clear epoxy glue, fill the grey "ash" cap up with it with the wire in it and let the glue dry for a couple of hours, even it the glue says drys in 5 minutes...it really takes an hour or more to set. This will prevent it from being pulled out or stressed by the wire rolling to the point of disconnection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread