USB Passthrough

Status
Not open for further replies.
Left a full cart on my 801, and I think it may have dripped into the USB passthrough. Seems that if I blow air through the passthrough back and forth it will come on for a second or two (we're talking really exaggerated blowing of air). Is there a way to clean the passthrough or is it toast? Has anyone taken one apart to see if anything in it is repairable?

I've taken one apart to reconnect the wire (wires broke at the end), but all I saw was two wires (taped) and the led. I don't know what senses the airflow?

If it's not cleanable, can I pull out the insides and add a switch to it? Has anyone done this? Have 2 years of industrial electronics, so I'm comfortable doing this kinda stuff.

Well, I gave it a good clean, and it didn't help... so... I took it apart :)

heated one end, popped out the threads. Used an exacto to take off the led cover. Slid the entire thing out, had a look at the auto switch (cheap). Took it off.

Now I'm thinking of shortening the shaft (already made black into polished silver... grin) and adding a button. Shouldn't be that hard to wire it all up. If you cut the autoswitch (plastic) on the side and be careful of the wires, you're left with a red and black wire that should connect to the switch just fine (no pulling wires off, resoldering, etc).

So what I'd like to know is has anyone found a switch that mounts nicely on the side of the tube? I don't want it on the end covering the led, and I don't want a giant button hanging out of the device.

A small back threaded button would be ideal... has anyone done this already? Advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread