The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

USB to wall charger?

Discussion in 'Batteries and Chargers' started by embee214, Nov 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. embee214

embee214 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 14, 2013
    hv ny
    Hi all.
    I recently got a Suorin Air and want to hook it up to a wall wart to charge, but it's been a long time since I've used anything with inbuilt batteries, and want to make sure I'm using the correct adapter.
    Anyone know how to tell? Can I just use the wall wart I use for my phone? Is there a difference?
    Just trying to be safe. :)

2. Heartsdelight

Heartsdelight Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Nov 10, 2015
    I don’t think you should use the one for your phone as it usually charges at a higher rate.

Look in your manual. I believe it requires either a 1A or 2A charge rate.

• Like Like x 2
  3. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    I hear so many different things on this that I don't really know what to tell you. I have heard computer is best, no it isn't, and that it's fine to use whatever wall-wart and the cord that comes with the mod will pull the correct amount of power, no it won't, etc. I only have a few USB mods and I charge them with the cord provided with my 4 year old cellphone wall-wart. I am clueless whether this is the correct thing to do, honestly, but nothing has blown up yet, that's about all I can say. Avoiding a super-speedy wall-wart MAY be wise, but at this point I have NO IDEA.

I'd love something that definitively answered the question myself :)

Anna

• Like Like x 2
  4. embee214

Nov 14, 2013
    hv ny
    Thanks for the responses.
    I wonder if I can dig up one of the old ones I used to charge egos way back when.
    So confusing...all of this. I just wanted to try out a super stealthy device, and now I'm all full of questions again.

• Like Like x 1
  5. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    Dear lord I am clueless this morning, I meant to say my wall wart with the cord PROVIDED with each mod. Sigh. Oh well, nothing has blown up yet.

I'm really incoherent today, I guess. :(

Anna

6. DaveP

DaveP PV Master & Musician ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    USB charging is much smarter than it used to be. Today's USB devices can handshake with a USB charger to let the charger know how much current it can handle. Generally, you can use a 10A charger on a device that only needs 1A charging rates. The USB wall charger will adjust to the device's needs through a process called handshaking. In USB 2.x that involves a current limiting resistor in the device you are charging. In USB 3.0 there's intelligent solid state circuitry that determines what kind of device you plugged in and delivers the right current level as it charges. USB 3.0 uses a new connector that is compatible with older Rev 2.0 devices, but new USB 3.x features probably won't work with the USB 2.x connection. Consider them charge only unless they are plugged into a USB 3.x port.

How USB Charging Works, or How to Avoid Blowing Up Your Smartphone - ExtremeTech

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Rossum

Rossum Surly Curmudgeon Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Dec 14, 2013
    NE FL
    USB ports and wall warts aren't "chargers", they are power supplies the produce 5V at up to a certain maximum current. A mod that charges via USB will have an in-built charge controller that uses this 5V as an input.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. embee214

Nov 14, 2013
    hv ny
    So, from what DaveP and Rossum are saying, I take it I can just plug in to the wall adapter that came with my 2 year old iPhone and be good?

I read through the article, and the gist is that if I'm using a "modern" device, it will be smart enough to do what it's supposed to do? Is a 2 year old adapter modern enough? I'm trying to read the lettering on the back of it and it's so tiny that even with a magnifying glass I'm not 100% sure what it says. 5v, 1 amp, I think.

Honestly, I've never been able to wrap my head around electronics...I just ask a lot of questions to make sure I'm being safe.

• Like Like x 2
  9. r77r7r

r77r7r ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    As long as your adapter isn't junk. Many are. Belkin and Anker are two premium producers of quality cables, and adapters. Personally, I use what's called a smart charger for my devices, plugged into a power strip, atty disengaged, never while sleeping or outside.

• Like Like x 4
  10. DaveP

DaveP PV Master & Musician ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    I use my old Kindle 5 8A charger to charge everything USB while watching TV in the family room. In the Kitchen we have a couple of multiport wall chargers, an 8A 4 port and a 4A 3 port. Nothing gets hot because all USB 2.x spec devices have a current limiting resistor in the devices themselves. The resistor limits the current flow in the charging circuit to design current for the device.

Modern is USB 3.0. The plugs are compatible with USB 2.0 devices (which is what most USB devices are today). You won't get all the speed or features of USB 3.0, but your old devices will plug into any USB 3.0 port.

Is USB 3.0 backwards compatible?

• Like Like x 3
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.