Used 6V on a wimpy atty...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MHR7331

ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2009
SoCal
...and it's back to normal with my 3.7v 18650. For the last couple of days this atty's been slowly crapping out, so I put in some CR123as and hit it for a while, 2-3 seconds max. Even with 5-6 drops of liquid, I was getting a horrible burnt taste each time; I'm assuming the coil's really crudded up and it's getting roasted off. Now it's tentatively hitting with 3.7v as well as when brand new. I guess this would be a good thing to try if you're too lazy to clean like me (I bought a bottle of Everclear and now it's stashed for drinking).

I'll add that I'm feeling particularly lazy today so I didn't bother ohming it yet. lol

Last edited:

MHR7331

ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2009
SoCal
Among all the unanswered questions I may have from your post, did you not have an impression of 6v vaping. Perhaps you should try with a new atomizer. For vapor production and throat hit, 6 volts is wonderful. If these are not of interest to you, then the typical 3.7ish volts should be fine.

No, I meant that after putting the atty through 6V, it works better, as if it got a thorough cleaning. I suspect the reason for the burning taste with 6v is the atty itself, as it's been worked to hell. Aside from the taste, I loved the added throat hit/warmth. Gonna put a fresh atty on tomorrow and put these CR123s to work.

a2dcovert

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
Louisiana
6 volts usually will taste different with the same juices used on 3.7. I agree with breakfastchef try it again with a good atty you might like it.

I have experienced the same benefit with higher voltages on clearing out an atty. The last few I cleaned only worked marginally at 3.7 but when I tried them at 5 volts they came to life. But I have also seen 5 volts kill attys too. My opinion is that if you have an atty that is strong electrically the higher voltages will improve them. But, if they are weak electrically (have something wrong like high resistance) they will die quickly.

Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread