Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
did you test vape it at that level?

I did my mix tonight using the VV recipe/guidelines. My original test of the 100mg/mL nic I had from vaperstek showed a pH level of about 7.5-8ish (hard to be precise using those test strips). My test after mixing down to 50mg with the CA solution looked to be about... 6ish?
Straight nic base should be way more alkali than that.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Last edited:

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Newport News, Virginia, United States

I did my mix tonight using the VV recipe/guidelines. My original test of the 100mg/mL nic I had from vaperstek showed a pH level of about 7.5-8ish (hard to be precise using those test strips). My test after mixing down to 50mg with the CA solution looked to be about... 6ish?
Yes, it vaped fine, but it was a coil gunker.

pwmeek

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2011
SE Michigan

Litmus paper (pH strips in general) are cheap. They also come in different ranges. If you get the 0-14 (full range) it will be hard to determine the acidity closely. Better to get both the full range strips plus a set of short range strips (maybe pH 5-8) that cover the levels of acidity/alkalinity that you are aiming for. Amazon carries all kinds; just read the description. You can use a full range strip to be sure you are in the general range you are aiming for, and then use a short range strip to determine the actual pH more closely.

===============
If the color chart has 15 colors, then full range strips can only tell you to about one pH number accuracy. If the range is only 5-8 pH, then 15 colors will let you read the strip to about 0.2 pH accuracy. (If you can judge that the strip color falls between two chart colors, you can estimate to about double that accuracy.)

Note: you will be able to judge colors better under halogen or bright incandescent lights than under fluorescent, CFL, or LED lights. It has to do with whether the lights deliver a smooth spectrum or not.

squee

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2013
Central CT
Yes, it vaped fine, but it was a coil gunker.
Cool. I had also made a watermelon vape by request from my great nephew with the nic salt (at 36mg) and after reading your reply, I felt okay about giving it to him to try (LOL). He refilled his little JUUL pod on the spot, said it was good and happily headed off to work.

squee

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2013
Central CT
I am just gonna throw this out here.....Found this study that is relative to our discussion....... hopefully smarter peeps than me can help to sort out exact % to get consistent results for prefered mg levels.

Oooooh, that is interesting! And makes me now want to try Malic Acid (heh). Also makes me think that's what some of the commercial vendors are using, like Nic River. They specifically say not made with benzo and I have read more than a few people say they didn't care for salts because they got a somewhat sour taste at the end of an inhale or exhale. Malic could do that depending on what the target pH was or if someone was just a bit sensitive to it

Also, my understanding of Vermont Vapers recipes was to reduce the 'smell' of nicotine and not to produce nic salts per say.

just saying......

:)
LOL, yeah - they were wanting to reduce smell and taste of nic. But I've also read comments from those who used to vape their juice say they had the smoothest nic around. No one thought to question it until the JUUL became all the rage. Looks like VV were pioneers and just didn't know it :)

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
My kid was examining my new vapes yesterday and asked me if I knew of "The Juul, I guess everyone's all into it these days."

Actually, he asked me if I knew about nic salts, I handed him my vape and said, "Yep." Then he mentioned the Juul. I guess it is in fact true that Big Tobacco has pioneered another way for children to vape as dangerously and expensively as possible, while blaming "vaping."

I really think cigalikes shouldn't be included in vapes, because they don't disclose their ingredients or "proprietary" processes. It's fair to say that most DIY e-liquid companies will tell you, if asked, what they use to make their nic salts, and often times flavors. I don't think Juul would do that, and I would shoot them an email asking, but I really don't want to get on some "list."

Anna

Reactions: ChelsB

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Newport News, Virginia, United States
My kid was examining my new vapes yesterday and asked me if I knew of "The Juul, I guess everyone's all into it these days."

Actually, he asked me if I knew about nic salts, I handed him my vape and said, "Yep." Then he mentioned the Juul. I guess it is in fact true that Big Tobacco has pioneered another way for children to vape as dangerously and expensively as possible, while blaming "vaping."

I really think cigalikes shouldn't be included in vapes, because they don't disclose their ingredients or "proprietary" processes. It's fair to say that most DIY e-liquid companies will tell you, if asked, what they use to make their nic salts, and often times flavors. I don't think Juul would do that, and I would shoot them an email asking, but I really don't want to get on some "list."

Anna
You're already on the list, dont worry!

Reactions: ChelsB

squee

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2013
Central CT
Straight nic base should be way more alkali than that.
I thought so too but in some of my reading I did see several references to the pKa of pure nic being 7.9.

I'll be curious to see my next batch, as I'll make sure to grab a bottle from the freezer from a different supplier and test that as well.

I've got nic from VT, Heartland (regular and Chemnovatic), ECX, ChemNic, NN, and WL - some VG, some PG, some 50/50 - be interesting to see if there's any variance

squee

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2013
Central CT
Then he mentioned the Juul. I guess it is in fact true that Big Tobacco has pioneered another way for children to vape as dangerously and expensively as possible, while blaming "vaping."
The JUUL isn't Big Tobacco though, they're an independent company, just like NJoy.

Big Tobacco puts out stuff like the Mark 10, which is so expensive and terrible you'll want to keep smoking LOL

ChelsB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2016
California
I thought so too but in some of my reading I did see several references to the pKa of pure nic being 7.9.

I'll be curious to see my next batch, as I'll make sure to grab a bottle from the freezer from a different supplier and test that as well.

I've got nic from VT, Heartland (regular and Chemnovatic), ECX, ChemNic, NN, and WL - some VG, some PG, some 50/50 - be interesting to see if there's any variance
How’d your latest batch turn out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread