Status
Not open for further replies.

ChelsB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2016
California
Do they mean coffee filter paper or is a standard paper towel sufficient?
2136cb18e7ba9fbca3a5b9ef66457f01.jpg

Reactions: stols001

Whiplash

ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2013
Idaho
Use distilled water. The pH of tap water can vary depending on location.
I would do an initial calibration an then check it in distilled water from time to time. The stability will depend on the quality of the instrument.
The reason it needs time is that it probably takes multiple tests and averages them.
When they tell you to use filter paper, they're assuming you are in a lab. I would use any clean and lint-free paper.

Last edited:

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Why does the meter keep reverting back to my first calibration (6.86)? This was using the 9.18 powder ...huh???
b2c737ccac6beca25ba8c0ae1799fb4b.jpg

Maybe 6.86 is its "Neutral State".

And then the Meter Reads whatever you are testing and calculates if it is More Acid or Alkaline then the Calibrated 6.86ph.

Whiplash

ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2013
Idaho
Why does the meter keep reverting back to my first calibration (6.86)? This was using the 9.18 powder ...huh???
devices of that type usually require that the calibration procedure is completed in a relatively short time, exactly following their procedure. How many steps in the process.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

BTW - I have a ph Meter somewhere in some drawer or closet.

And as I recall on mine, It Only reads ph when it is in a liquid and the button is being pushed. Once I take it out of the Solution, it reverts to like 3 Bars (---).

Maybe that is what yours is doing?

Once it is Out of the Liquid it reverts to the Calibrated Value?

ChelsB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2016
California
devices of that type usually require that the calibration procedure is completed in a relatively short time, exactly following their procedure. How many steps in the process.

There were 3 different levels of pH powder for calibration. I followed the steps exactly. But this is my first time using a pH meter

Reactions: stols001

ChelsB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2016
California
BTW - I have a ph Meter somewhere in some drawer or closet.

And as I recall on mine, It Only reads ph when it is in a liquid and the button is being pushed. Once I take it out of the Solution, it reverts to like 3 Bars (---).

Maybe that is what yours is doing?

Once it is Out of the Liquid it reverts to the Calibrated Value?

Aha! That could very well be what is going on! Excellent advice!

Equality 7-2521

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2013
oakland ca.
"necessary", probably not, but I dont know how to get repeatable results otherwise, unless you are using the exact same recipe every time and only changing the acid variable as you experiment.
do you think using the ph meter would also work in the same ways if you were using benzoic acid...could you simply make a benzoic base and add it to your juice till you reach a certain ph.

Equality 7-2521

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2013
oakland ca.
If you can trust the Liggett researchers (cited above), the nic salts vs. the freebase nicotine boils down to slower absorption in the salts form. I would think that this is exactly the opposite effect to what is desired by vapers who are using vaping to stay off the smokies. Faster absorption is closer to the effect of smoking.
I keep running into this same information...nic salts allow you to vape higher levels of nic comfortablly, but that is absorbs slower, but then I think on Nic River's website they say nic salts cross the brain blood barrier better than freebase...sure would like some defenitive answers on this.

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Newport News, Virginia, United States
do you think using the ph meter would also work in the same ways if you were using benzoic acid...could you simply make a benzoic base and add it to your juice till you reach a certain ph.
Yes, as far as a ph meter is concerned, an acid is an acid.

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Newport News, Virginia, United States
Use distilled water. The pH of tap water can vary depending on location.
I would do an initial calibration an then check it in distilled water from time to time. The stability will depend on the quality of the instrument.
The reason it needs time is that it probably takes multiple tests and averages them.
When they tell you to use filter paper, they're assuming you are in a lab. I would use any clean and lint-free paper.
Spot on.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread