Using conductive greases on mech squonker contacts

Status
Not open for further replies.

DexterKBK

Feb 25, 2017
Washington, USA
Hello there fellow squonkers! My question today is one that I've done a lot of reading on, but still can't seem to find a straight answer! My goal of putting a grease at the switch contact is to reduce arcing, reduce pitting, and hopefully increase performance by filling in imperfections in the metal with conductive material. I also would like to prevent oxidation but that's not nearly as important to me as filling in any pitting in the contact with conductive material. The switch in question is in my modified GeekVape Athena where I've sanded down the positive contact of the 510 completely flat. but it's just a standard sheet metal contact that presses against the 510s positive. This is where the grease would go.

I have at my disposal two different types of conductive greases. The first is called Ox Gard, which is a zinc containing, anti oxidation product comparable to No-a-Lox. I've seen so much conflicting info on using this on mechanical mod contacts. Some swear by it, others say it's useless at anything but preventing oxidation.

The other is Permatex Anti Seize which contains a blend of aluminum, copper, and graphite.

So which one do -you- guys think will help me the most? Also how much of the product should be used? I imagine an extremely light application will do. And if its not too much trouble, please explain why you picked one over the other, so we can hopefully put this issue to bed once and for all. Thank you all for your time, I hope everyone has a very Merry Christmas!

Last edited:

b.m.

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2014
Ohio
As to which is better,i couldn't say,but what i as well as a lot of others here use is called no ox-id,so i would say your Ox guard is probably very similar.This and Noalox both seem very popular,so i've never bothered to try and find any others that may work.

Mermaaan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
California
I use DeoxIT. It isn't greasy and isn't a pita when it comes to cleaning. Everything from my battery terminals to my contacts and threaded or other conductive parts gets a dab from the brush applicator. My batteries stopped pitting and contacts no longer get score marks that need to be removed with an abrasive. Performance improved as well and maintenance is overall much easier now. I paid a few bucks on amazon for a tiny sample bottle with brush applicator and have hardly put a dent in it even with a dozen mods and couple dozen batteries in constant use.

One mod where it really impressed me was the hellfire venom x clone. That device has a lot of connection points, all of which appear to be stainless steel. Not the most promising setup for good conductivity - though it really is well made otherwise. Even reading forum discussions on fastech I saw a lot of reports of weak hits and voltage drop. When I got mine I took it apart and put DeoxIT on all the conductive contact points throughout the mod. It has vaped like a champ since I got it.

Last edited:

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
I use Noalox on my Reo Grand batteries and have not had any pitting or arcing. I also use a very thin coat on the threads of my tube mods. It seems to smooth out the threads. Some will say it's a gunky mess, and there is no denying that grease will attract dirt, but it has worked OK for me.

With my Reo P67 mods I use De-Oxit on the contacts. De-Oxit is also popular among flashlight enthusiasts, so there's that endorsement.

hazozita

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2013
Virginia
+1 on what @Mermaan said. I’ve been using Deoxit on all my mechs for a few years and have always been impressed with the performance and benefits. I use Deoxit Red for cleaning; Deoxit Gold for protection. I go through the Red quicker than the Gold, but even so, a small tube or bottle will last for a long time. Much, much less mess than any of the grease-based products. More importantly, no arcing, no pitting, and better conductivity.

I still use Oxguard on some of my regulated mods as a thread lubricant. It can turn a screw-on battery cover from finicky to smooth very easily. But, as with Noalox (or similar products) you have to strip it off the threads every so often and reapply since it can pick up lint and other similar debris. The same for when using it for contacts. Apply it very sparingly (a toothpick is a good applicator) and, every so often, strip it off and re-apply.

DexterKBK

Feb 25, 2017
Washington, USA
Thank you so much everybody! I am using the ox-gard and I can't see any more arcing in the dark (although sure it's still happening, just reduced significantly) and I'm happy about that, now time will tell how will it helps. Let's keep the info coming! I will of course report back to say how it has helped me over time.

It's officially Christmas everybody! Merry Christmas! I'm going to bed and I will check back in the morning, good night everybody.

Reactions: stols001

DexterKBK

Feb 25, 2017
Washington, USA
OK, as soon as I have some spare cash i will be buying some deoxit gold.

Question about the Ox-Gard grease. When I'm using it on mechanical switch contacts, how much should i be applying? Everyone says to put a little on, then wipe it off, but whenever I wipe it off it comes off completely. Times when I have used more it seemed to have a slightly gritty sound when making contact, probably from the zinc dust in the grease I'm guessing. I'm really ocd and it's just bothering me to not know how much to use to achieve what I'm trying to achieve.

Is there a middle ground with this stuff? If so can someone explain it to me like I'm five please. Thank you!

Btw, I got an Armageddon squonk box for Christmas! I'm sure you guys can totally understand why I'm trying to preserve the contacts lol hope everyone is having a great Christmas!

b.m.

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2014
Ohio
I have a handful of this style of squonker and I don’t feel the need to use anything. Just clean the contacts regularly and you should be good to go.
I don't use anything on most of mine,but those have copper contacts,and i don't see any arcing.I do have a few others though,that i do use it on due to being contacts made of other stuff,and get arcing,so i use it on those to prevent pitting.

b.m.

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2014
Ohio
Is there a middle ground with this stuff? If so can someone explain it to me like I'm five please. Thank you!
I've read a bunch of people say they just use a toothpick,get a small bit on the end,and rub that on.I use a q-tip and get a small bit on there,and just run a quick swipe across each contact point.You just want a very thin coating on each part.

hazozita

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2013
Virginia

DexterKBK

Feb 25, 2017
Washington, USA
That deoxit kit looks amazing and simple to use. Thank you for that link!

I have applied a very thin layer to each of the contact points on the switch of the Armageddon (btw the contacts are silver plated "wet brass") but I'm still observing some intermittent arcing in the dark.

I'm really wanting to use preventative measures on this device so that the internals don't end up looking like the ones on my Athena, or my Aleader X-Drip, ie pitted and scarred with permanent black marks.

This Armageddon was my unicorn and now i actually have it! I *must* maintain this mod and buying any deoxit is out of the question right now with my funds. Very frustrating...

Reactions: Mermaaan

Mermaaan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
California
That deoxit kit looks amazing and simple to use. Thank you for that link!

I have applied a very thin layer to each of the contact points on the switch of the Armageddon (btw the contacts are silver plated "wet brass") but I'm still observing some intermittent arcing in the dark.

I'm really wanting to use preventative measures on this device so that the internals don't end up looking like the ones on my Athena, or my Aleader X-Drip, ie pitted and scarred with permanent black marks.

This Armageddon was my unicorn and now i actually have it! I *must* maintain this mod and buying any deoxit is out of the question right now with my funds. Very frustrating...

I have a spare sample kit of deoxit and deoxit gold I can send you. I have more than enough for my needs. PM your address and I'll send it your way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread