Uwell Havok V1 Pod Mod Kit Review by Z-Lee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Z-Lee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
  • Apr 17, 2021
    Upper Midwest
    Hello and welcome to another addition of This Old House. My name is Bob Vi- :blink:
    Oop, wrong review.

Today we're going to be taking a quick peek at the Havok V1 Pod mod Kit by uwell. I'm going to keep this review fairly simplistic because I honestly think that's the best trait of this kit. I received this item as a giveaway but will remain unbias in this review simply because I am receiving no benefit from the result of this write-up. I also abhor misinformation and will reflect any negatives accordingly in this review and in any future reviews down the road.

I borrowed these pictures from SourceMore, as they were the ones that held the giveaway. You can find the link to this item here: Uwell Havok V1 Kit 65W 1800mAh Pod Mod Kit. Without being logged in, the price is $45.89. After logging in, the price is currently sitting at $25.22 without any codes or coupons. Remember to log in every time you revisit SourceMore.

I want to thank @Ema over at SourceMore for making the reception of this unit painless.

I present to you, flip-book review mode:
    Uwell_Havok_V1_Pod_Mod_Kit_Colors.jpg

5 different colorways to choose from - I received the blue and it's accurately depicted with what you see here.

Uwell_Havok_V1_Kit_Package.jpg

Also comes with a few other items that you are likely to ignore. Good FYI stuff if you are having trouble understanding how to operate the mod, but with this cutiepie, I don't think you're going to need the instruction manual.
    40815097.jpg

Uwell_Havok_V1_Kit_Specification.jpg

Basic specs for this kit.

Uwell_Havok_V1_Kit_Overview.jpg

An exploded view to better see how simple the Havok is.

20210708_141604.jpg

The pod holds 4 mL of juice. The cap slides open and the grommet membrane helps keep juice from bubbling back out when refilling.

Uwell_Havok_V1_Kit_Replaceable_Coil.jpg

20210708_141444.jpg

Very basic drop-in coil. The 0.25 ohm mesh coil came pre-installed. It's currently sitting at 0.23 ohms and that's pretty normal to have a little bit of variance. Also be sure to take the plastic sticker off that's protecting the connectivity of the coil before use.

Uwell_Havok_V1_Kit_Fast_charging.jpg

20210708_141248.jpg

I'm not sure why their picture of the USB-C port looks like a portal to another dimension, but I took another picture to get a better idea of what it looks like. As @bigbob2322 had mentioned in his review of this same pod kit, there is no USB-C charger that comes in the package. In today's age, I don't see that being a huge issue as most people will more than likely have a USB-C charger if they've purchased an electronic in the past 5 years. It would however be nice to see that this is clarified in the description of what comes in the box, much like the exclusion of batteries in a kit that requires external batteries.
    upload_2021-7-12_17-57-35.png

A charging cord wouldn't make or break the sale of a product for me unless it was one that I didn't have. Please let us know what we are or aren't getting in the package.

Uwell_Havok_V1_Kit_No_leaking.jpg

This is true for the week that I've had it. I've had the airflow control wide open since I started vaping it, and have laid the pod on its side and even with the vent facing down overnight to see if there would be any leaks. None. Also, pod kits have been known to leak on the underside of the pod where the coil is seated, leading to juice ending up around the connecting pins between the mod and the pod. I don't see a hint of moisture there, so that's really good news.

20210708_141537.jpg
    20210708_141551.jpg

Above, you can see the airflow control. The slider positioned down is fully open (very loose RDL but not quite a vacuum hose), and positioned up would be fully closed (Restricted MTL but not tight like trying to suck a golfball through a garden hose).

20210708_141324.jpg

Inserted back into the mod, it looks like the airflow could be restricted a bit, but it's definitely a loose RDL/DL vape fully open.

Uwell_Havok_V1_Kit_Pro-FOCS.jpg

I've not done a lot of research on what exactly Pro-Focs is, but it's my understanding that this is essentially quality assurance to make sure the vape is producing the intended flavor. In this case, it's working very well because I can't say I have another tank or RBA that's configured for RDL or DL sitting at 30w and pumping this kind of flavor out.

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly (spoiler: there isn't an ugly)

Pros:

-Compact
    • The size is about that of the a Freemax Maxus mod. Slightly smaller than a VooPoo Drag Mini or Argus GT. It's also quite thin.
    -Lightweight
    • The next closest mod/kit that has an internal battery is the Smok Thallo, and it's still lighter than that.
    -No leakage (so far)
    • As mentioned above, I sat the pod mod on its side and on the vent opening before going to bed a few nights to see if I could get this to leak. No leaking. Having only had this pod for a week, I can not say whether it will leak down by the connector pins like many other pod mods do over time, but for now - it's squeaky clean down there.
    -Texture feels nice
    • The machining is nice and smooth and the finish looks nice.
    • The fire button has a slight "click" when you depress it which is nice in my opinion. Other fire buttons that feel kind of mushy when you press them in, you can never really tell when it's "in". (Let's hope that's not what she said)
    -Extremely simple to use
    • There's no menu. You quick press the fire button 5 times to turn it on and set the wattage. Voila. The UI displays battery life, wattage, volts, ohms, puff timer, and a puff counter.
    -Long battery life
    • The integrated 1800 mAh battery was something I was worried about at first. The Smok Thallo I have has a 3000 mAh internal battery and I could easily burn that up before the end of the day. At 30 watts, and what I would guess to be an average of 4 second puffs, I reached 186 puffs before the battery cut out. I used up about 5mL of juice in total.
    -Coil longevity
    • Several reviews support the extended life expectancy of these coils. Also it's mesh! I honestly feel like mesh has spoiled me.
    -Efficient
    • Size vs. Weight vs. Run time vs. Coil longevity reputation vs. juice consumption vs. flavor - I'm going to rate this an 8/10. The flavor isn't going to blow your socks off (if it does, you need to let go of the power line), but it's good. If you want something quick and easy to tote around with you, this is a great go-to.

Cons:
    -Internal battery
    • Not a huge con really - replaceable batteries are nice to be able to switch on the fly, but it would increase the size of the mod portion so there would be a trade-off. For the low wattage, this battery works perfectly well.
    -Refilling isn't the easiest to access
    • A 120mL gorilla bottle juuuuust reaches far enough inside the refill membrane w/out causing a mess, but you have to kind of cram it in there.
    -USB-C charging port on the bottom
    • I would hit this pretty hard if the pod mod itself was a leaky unit, but since it hasn't leaked having been left on several of its sides overnight, I wouldn't say this is a huge con - just unorthodox.
    -No USB-C charging cable
    • As mentioned in the review, not a make or break for your general techie crowd, but for someone maybe a bit older that's just getting into vaping - not having a charging cable could be a bit frustrating.
    • I realize mentioning that a product doesn't come with something can be seen as a negative to potentially discourage a purchase, but I think not mentioning what doesn't come with a product will leave a purchaser much more dissatisfied for future purchases. Again, please let us know what does and doesn't come in a package (esp. if it's a common thing).
    -Aluminum alloy body
    • The material is extremely lightweight which is nice, but the machining isn't very rounded on the bottom. It isn't "sharp" per se, but I would suggest not sliding this pod mod across any wooden (or any type of) surface that you would be concerned about scratching. I have a few small scrapes in my wooden desk from sliding this pod out of the way which doesn't really phase me as my desk is old, but just an FYI.
    -Gurgling
    • On rare occasions, I get a slight gurgling sound (it never spits) when drawing. It's sporadic and seems to clear up quite quickly however.
    -Visual appeal
    • I wouldn't say it's pretty by any means, but it gets the job done well.

Final Thoughts
    As I mentioned in the intro, the Havok V1 Pod Mod Kit is extremely simple to use. However, that isn't to say that it lacks in performance at all for what it is. I have yet to fully expend the first coil, but from reviews and what other people have said, the UN-2 Mesh coils can hold their own in terms of longevity. Their flavor production when taking into consideration the wattage and juice usage for an RDL/DL is very much impressive. Don't expect to be packing huge clouds with this though.

I'm not going to say that it can directly compete with a Freemax Fireluke 3 or GeekVape Z Sub-ohm tank simply because they're apples to oranges. Those tanks don't have a rechargeable battery attached to them and they're not conservative on juice usage whatsoever. They also take up twice the amount of power (on the conservative side) to operate at their recommended wattages. Taking several things into account, you get great bang for your buck with the Havok.

Other pod mods that I have that I can compare the Havok V1 to @30w:
    -OXVA Velocity (the best pod mod I have) @40w
    • Not as good, but also not paying 2-3x the price. Lighter.
    -Smok Thallo @40w
    • Slightly better flavor, less clouds - also consumes less juice and runs longer. Lighter.
    -GeekVape Aegis Boost Pro @42.5w
    • Same as the Thallo, probably equal in flavor, less clouds. Longer run time. Lighter.
    -Smok RPM160 @55w
    • Much smaller, hardly comparable. Slightly less flavor and much less clouds, but doesn't leak like the 160. Lighter.
    -Smok RPM2S @40w
    • Slightly less flavor and clouds, longer run time. Also doesn't leak like the RPM2. Lighter.
    -Lost Vape Ursa Quest @55w
    • Similar flavor quality, not near the clouds. Ursa Quest probably weighs 3x as much - it's also bigger and more clunky.

I think for a ninja vape, this would work quite well.

Attachments

• upload_2021-7-12_17-55-43.png
      upload_2021-7-12_17-55-43.png
      11.9 KB · Views: 8
    • 20210708_141006.jpg
      20210708_141006.jpg
      165.1 KB · Views: 7

bigbob2322

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Jul 27, 2014
    Schiller PK IL USA
    Great review Z-Lee, I'm still using the Havok V1 and I'm still on it's original coil though it has finally reached the end as flavor is diminishing now and it's been used every day since June 25th, almost 3 weeks on a coil is a great feat. I never experienced any gurgle as you have but I vape it very heavily daily.

Reactions: Z-Lee

Z-Lee

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
  • Apr 17, 2021
    Upper Midwest
    Great review Z-Lee, I'm still using the Havok V1 and I'm still on it's original coil though it has finally reached the end as flavor is diminishing now and it's been used every day since June 25th, almost 3 weeks on a coil is a great feat. I never experienced any gurgle as you have but I vape it very heavily daily.
    Oh, I'm definitely keeping this in my rotation. Esp. as a quick snatch running out the door. Finally something I can stick in my pocket without it bulging out or leaking all over the place. I'm gonna see how many puffs I get to before I have to change out the coil. Do you remember the count you were at?

Thank you for the feedback! I still hate how my formatting looks - I think your review is laid out much better, haha.

Last edited:
    Reactions: bigbob2322

Z-Lee

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
  • Apr 17, 2021
    Upper Midwest
    For a "fairly simplistic" review, you were quite thorough. Very well done.

i heard somewhere that Uwell is planning a rebuildable pod & a 510 adapter. Those would make the Havok a real winner. No idea when/if they're coming.
    Uwell has been rather illusive in the massive heap of gear I've acquired over the past 3-4 months. The only Uwell item I had before this pod mod was the D2 and while it was difficult for me to get figured out at first (mind you, it was also my first RTA), it's probably one of my favorite rebuildables in terms of flavor. I'd be interested in checking that out if/when it's released.

Thanks for the feedback!

Reactions: MLEJ

bigbob2322

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Jul 27, 2014
    Schiller PK IL USA
    Oh, I'm definitely keeping this in my rotation. Esp. as a quick snatch running out the door. Finally something I can stick in my pocket without it bulging out or leaking all over the place. I'm gonna see how many puffs I get to before I have to change out the coil. Do you remember the count you were at?

Thank you for the feedback! I still hate how my formatting looks - I think your review is laid out much better, haha.
    I don't remember the puff count but I can say I have filled the tank about 20-25 times, flavor is still there but starting to diminish.

Reactions: Z-Lee
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread