v 2.1 Switch major dissapointment

Status
Not open for further replies.

nawcho

ECF Veteran
Dec 5, 2009
Los Angeles
Got my v 2.1 switch last week, worked great for 2 days but now it functions exactly like the old switch.

After contacting puresmoker I was told to cut a link off the spring, clean it ( its not even a week old lol), and apply Noalox..

Funny that I spent 30$ to have the same exact problems and have to do the same upkeep to make this thing fire.

Pure smoker get it together.

Dont waist your money on this fail switch.

Quitter

ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2009
Cleveland, OH
I've been hesitant to use the copper ring and run 6v for fear of atty burnout (I use 510's). But I did put it in a few minutes ago and it runs cartomizers excellent! I'll go with it for a few days and se how it goes with the cartos.

I'm REALLY frustrated with the switch up to this point. I've done it all: Naolox, constant eraser cleaning the titanium ring, change to stainless posts, rotate posts in the body, spin the button etc etc. No matter what, the thing misfires about 20% of the time. Hopefully the copper ring/stainless posts will be more reliable.

PS makes great stuff but these V2 switches are really piss poor. My original PS Pass thru with the old style original switch sill works 100% of the time. Wish they would have just left it alone.

harpo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 19, 2009
Yuba City, California
I've been hesitant to use the copper ring and run 6v for fear of atty burnout (I use 510's). But I did put it in a few minutes ago and it runs cartomizers excellent! I'll go with it for a few days and se how it goes with the cartos.

I'm REALLY frustrated with the switch up to this point. I've done it all: Naolox, constant eraser cleaning the titanium ring, change to stainless posts, rotate posts in the body, spin the button etc etc. No matter what, the thing misfires about 20% of the time. Hopefully the copper ring/stainless posts will be more reliable.

PS makes great stuff but these V2 switches are really piss poor. My original PS Pass thru with the old style original switch sill works 100% of the time. Wish they would have just left it alone.

As long as people keep buying these mods with faulty switches they'll keep selling them.

Johnny 5

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2009
Oakville, WA

I personally haven't had one single misfire, with the 2.1 switch @ 6v and that's straight out of the box, no naolox, or any other maintenance.

Surf Monkey

Cartel Boss
ECF Veteran
May 28, 2009
Sesame Street
I coated my platinum disc with Oxguard and it works fine now. I was disappointed that the corrosion issue effected the new switch just like the old one, but now that it's coated with Oxguard it's working fine. In fact, it's a far better switch than the first one, the issue with corrosion not withstanding.

I have yet to try the copper disc, but I think I'll go put it on right now and give it a test run.

As far as the overall situation goes, I tend to agree that PS should have tested these switches a little better before selling them to us. The adapters as well. By the time I get a stainless steel adapter to replace my two stripped out brass ones, I'll have essentially rebuilt my entire Prodigy V2, with the exception of the end cap (which I may end up having to replace as well because the spring pops out on a fairly regular basis.) I hate to say it, because I really like my V2 when it's working right, but this thing was clearly not ready for prime time when the first adopters like me bought it. We got screwed into buying the device twice as we worked out all the kinks. If I replace my end cap the only part of the device that will remain from my initial purchase will be the battery tube, and this is a device I just purchased a few months ago.

I'm not giving up on PS or the Prodigy just yet, but I think it goes without saying that I'm somewhat less than pleased with how this has played out, particularly in light of the fact that I was one of the first people to buy a V1 Prodigy and never had a single significant problem with it at all.

chev327fox

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2010
Nowheresville, ME
Noalox creates better surface area or contact are for the electricity to go through. You can also make more contact area by making flat spot on the post for the washer to make flush contact with the post. The flat washer can't make good enough contact with a round post in the switch. Noalox is a temporary solution.

I think the reason the switch upgrade "fails" is because they didn't do a lot or any field testing of it, they just wanted a quick solution to the aluminum post corroding problem but they created another similar problem with making the new stainless post round. Because the post are round there isn't enough contact area to make a good connection or a flat connection so it arcs causing burn marks to build up and make the switch mis-fire.

Last edited:

just-cass

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 28, 2009
ireland
pinkvaper.com
been away awhile...back now and still see these posts....if anyone reading this is considering getting a ps product do your homework...there are hundreds of these posts....sorry to the OP but frankly no one cares anymore(i had the same post as you awhile back)...like harpo said...they will keep making them if people keep buying them???:evil:

just-cass

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 28, 2009
ireland
pinkvaper.com
been away awhile...back now and still see these posts....if anyone reading this is considering getting a ps product do your homework...there are hundreds of these posts....sorry to the OP but frankly no one cares anymore(i had the same post as you awhile back)...like harpo said...they will keep making them if people keep buying them???:evil:

btw hi casey;):D

wiscguy

ECF Veteran
May 10, 2009
Madison, WI
When I got my upgrade kit I replaced the posts and the o-ring that came with the kit, sanded the contact ring (emery cloth) and applied noalox. That must have been three or four weeks ago, and it's been running fine ever since.

Im glad it works for you, but isnt the point of purchasing a $30 button is so you dont have to do all that to make it or keep it working..........

Again not knocking on you......Just wish I didnt have to do extra work for a product. Pretty sure im trashing mine soon.

GregH

ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2009
Georgia USA
For me, the point of purchasing a $30 button is so that I can do all that to make it or keep it working in case something bad happens. I do a regular maintenance routine on mine (including Noalox) and have not had a single misfire on either of my Proteges or my Prodigy V2 in weeks. But even if they do start acting up, I have full confidence that I can get them working again.

When an electrical (tact) switch dies, it's dead. So you'd better either have a backup with you or know where and how to get the parts and a soldering iron to get it working again. These PS switches are remarkably simple in concept and are easy to fix so long as you're willing to do some maintenance on them.

I do admit if you want a PV that you never have to tinker with, then the current PS offerings (outside of the Ace, perhaps) are not for you. But, again, good luck with that electrical switch that is warranted right out of the box for only a certain number of clicks. Yes, I know that number of clicks is high. But it's still a finite number.

chev327fox

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2010
Nowheresville, ME
No more mechanical switch for me and now I'm at 6volts!!! OH and Greg if my switch fails, it's only $1.50 at radio shack :)

16a1mbm.jpg

chev327fox

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2010
Nowheresville, ME
ah yes, chev. True. But I strongly suspect that the people moaning over the need to occasionally take their mechanical switches out to apply Noalox and do other regular maintenance aren't going to want to do the extent of tinkering you have. ;)

BTW, your V2 looks nice! :)

True, very true. People just need to realize that a mechanical switch will need maintenance from time to time anyways, but that's not to say that PS should have made 2 options for people (one mechanical and one regular switch).

Thanks, took me awhile to get it where it's at!!! I put in the new switch and fixed the adapter so I can screw my atty's on tight without breaking them and polished it up to top it off, perfection at it's best and a 6volts to boot!!

boochips

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2009
Marianna, Florida
Hey Cass, did you ever get the new switch I sent ya? I was wondering if it actually works...:D
I didn't have any way to try it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread