v2 step down using different metal

Status
Not open for further replies.

them0nk

ECF Veteran
Oct 7, 2009
San Bernardino, CA
until you get a better response...

you're spot on the mark. a regulator will put the voltage to 5v from 6v or 5v. a resistor does what Steve is attempting to do with different metals. because the batteries are actually charged basically WAY over what they rate them... he has more voltage to play with. i'm betting an operating load voltage from 4.8-5.3ish would be what everyone is looking for. voltage regulators are a pain in the ____ to implement. my 14500 3.6v batteries are at 4.2+ full charged and aren't that great at about 3.7ish... the prodigy v2 will actually be as kick ... as the protege on a full charge even still if it were dead and almost ready to over discharge the batteries lol (which i actually think is more possible to do with a 5v device if you're not using a protected set...)

this is only my opinion on the mechanical approach he's taking. i just can't wait to get my hands on one. if anything i've said isn't spot on feel free to discuss, i like learning more. just dont shoot at me for grammar. i HATE LAPTOP KEYBOARDS.

them0nk

ECF Veteran
Oct 7, 2009
San Bernardino, CA
the voltage is not the only factor that really matters in the whole equation though... i put together my own PV that had 4 AAA NIMH batteries. the voltage was 5.2ish ... loaded voltage was about 3.9-4. No resistors, No Nothing. Just battery holder, button, rca to atty connectors. really odd actually.

I'm sure the reason why this process is taking steve a while is because he's trying to make it perfect for all of us. the idea to try a different metal was suggested and he's running with it. he probably has one built that he is "testing" right now :p he wants it to be perfect for us, and i'm sure he's going to blow us all away with something cool :p if not i have to duck and hide too - after all that post for the button idea has played a part in all of this...

the varied vapor output from using a real resistor or resistor style metal will be something built into the prodigy unless he decides to make room or another switch with a regulator built into it. which might be possible later or he might even do now...

i love my protege and the vapor output does change a bit over the usage cycle of the battery... 4.2-3.7... IMHO i dont see the varying output to be that big of a problem. Only in the aspect that a user could over discharge the batteries and cause issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread