V4L: Has anyone else had this problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ciego

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 29, 2010
A dank basement in SE Minnesota
Vapor4Life is one of the first vendors from whom I bought e-cigs and supplies. Since last November (2010) I have spent several hundred dollars with them, perhaps even more than a thousand.

Here's my gripe, but before I complain, I want to know if I may be having this trouble simply because I am a blind consumer who uses a screen reader program in order to read web pages. If this is the case, I humbly withdraw the following complaint.

I *never* get the coupon value, sale price, code discount etc. Never. Oh sure, if I file a trouble ticket with them, they always cheerfully credit me/award me a gift certificate to make up the difference.

But here's the problem. Waiting until my next order to receive a discount I should have gotten in the first place sort of guarantees that I'll have to buy more stuff from them. Now, I probably would buy more stuff from them anyway, but I feel a bit... extorted.

I don't want the discount on my next order. I want it on the current order.

Also, other than blacklisting them in my e-mail client, I can't figure out how to get off their damn e-mail list. If they won't give me the sale prices they're advvertising in their e-mails, I damn sure don't want to receive the e-mails.

Again, as much as this is a complaint against V4L, I am curious to find out if I am the only customer who has had this problem. Other than this problem and my resentment over their ridiculously high shipping rates, I really like V4L and their products.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

oldsoldier

Retired ECF Forum Manager
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2010
Lurking in the shadows
www.reboot-n.com
A brief note to any vendors that may stumble across this thread, please consider the accessibility information available from the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) when you design your sites. There is a great potential for increased sales and customer goodwill :)

Accessibility - W3C

Tasselhoff

ECF Veteran
Ciego;I have never had this problem . I have been using V4L since Nov.2009 and I have always received my discount at the time of purchase.There is a coupon code box on the checkout page and once you enter the correct code you can make sure the discount is applied before you finalize your purchase. If your total does not change then don't make the purchase. I would call the order in. I don't use a screen reader program and that maybe the problem lies??? I hope this helps?

vermonter16

ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2010
Manassas, VA
Wow, something must not be working right but I couldn't begin to try and pinpoint what it is. Yeah - I think I would call the order in as well so that way you can be sure that you are getting the discount on that order RIGHT NOW. I've never had issues with it and I don't know why it seems that your code input doesn't seem to be taken when you do it. Good luck!

Nana2B

ECF Veteran
May 4, 2011
Boston,NorthShore, Ma.
Ciego, I use V4L. I would suggest you go to the Forum Suppliers area & post this in the Vapor4Life forum. These forums are run by the suppliers so they monitor them and will answer questions & fix problems. The people who frequent the V4L forum are also very helpful & friendly.
I don't know how a screen reader works so I'll just tell you the Forum Suppliers area is way down the page after the Buying & Selling forums.
Please join us there I'm sure this will be resolved.
Good luck :)

JenVose

Jun 14, 2011
Texas
Although I haven't had this particular problem, I have found that the V4L Web site isn't the most compatible with all operating systems/browsers/accessibility options. I would suggest that it is due to the accessibility tools. Although the technology/versions change so quickly, it would be great to see the Web site become a little more accessible, and I certainly understand and agree that you want your discounts on the current order, not to have to place another order to get the discount you should have been entitled to.

vapi

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2011
Ohio
I had a coupon code problem only once, but they gave me credit. Although I never thought of it as a way for them to keep my business. I really like the cartomizers I buy from them and they did throw a couple free samples when I paid full price. It seems like it happens rarely, I usually order from 2 different computers too. I wouldn't think it's a way to keep your business since this isn't happening to everyone.

When I didn't get the coupon that I intended it use, it was only available for a couple hours on a couple certain days and I think it was because of the different time zones we live in.

oldsoldier

Retired ECF Forum Manager
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2010
Lurking in the shadows
www.reboot-n.com
Ive never had a coupon problem either.I think you should phone in your orders if you cant use the site properly.Seems that it could have something to do with your screen reader or something.
Yeah kezygirl, accessibility programs sometimes choke on websites that are not specifically coded to be handicapped accessible. It is an unfortunate fact that many bells and whistles are not compatible with screen readers, but with a little planning the complete core functionality of most sites can be made accessible to all.

Ideally commercial websites would all be accessible under w3c standards, but sadly only a fraction would actually pass if tested. Governmental websites are a little better with compliance due to legislative mandate, but overall it is a real issue for people with disabilities.

Edit: This is meant as a general comment on the issue of accessibility, and is not directed at v4L or any other vendor.

I can think of two things going on here that may be the root of this issue, first and most likely in my opinion, is that all of the discount or sale emails that i get from them have the discount code and amount detailed in an image that has to be viewed to get the info. I am assuming they do this to prevent the automatic harvesting of their discount codes by competitors or some such.

the second thing that may be going on here, is to use the codes from those images, you have to enter the code into a certain place on the first order screen. I am not using any accessibility software, and even so, that box is easy to miss, and sometimes does not actually apply the discount the first time. if its sending an error message back, maybe your screen reader is not capturing the event.

i would have to agree with the other posts that suggest actually calling them to place orders and ask for whatever current discount offered to be applied.. I have spent into the 1000's with them, and they really do give great customer service when they are asked to. its a shame their website isnt a bit easier to use, even with good vision, their site is tedious at times

Ciego

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 29, 2010
What surprises me is that no one from V4L has replied to this thread. I didn't want to air my problem on their supplier's forum, but I am still surprised that no one from V4L has spotted this thread.

Regarding the e-mails: My screen reader reads the discount, which must somehow be included in text as well as in the graphics in the e-mail. Otherwise, people with normal eyesight, but who cannot receive HTML e-mails would also miss out on the discount. For example, if the code in the graphic says "ArborDay30," that is what is read to me at the start of the e-mail.

Also, the coupon code is enetered at the time one finalizes one's order, as far as I understand. Their website is simply not recognizing the code from the form field provided for that purpose.

I am not accusing anyone, but it began to feel to me like some kind of scam.

Fortunately, because I've changed largely from using KR808-style e-cigarettes to 510 style and mods, I don't *need* to order from V4L anymore. They have probably and permanently lost a customer, one who has easily spent $1500.00 with them since November 2010. I'm sure they won't miss me.

There is an object lesson here however for anyone doing e-commerce. If you ignore the needs of your visually impaired customers, you've thrown away business. I guess that maybe blind people are perceived as being non-entities when it comes to retail, or perhaps we are universally perceived as being poor. While it's true that with 86% unemployment among the blind (Federal stats) and many of us are indeed financially struggling, others among us indeed has discretionary income to spend. Retailers, ignore us at your peril.

This goes beyond V4L. I recently visited a carpet store, ready to spend over $2,000.00 for carpeting for a remodel. I was ignored by the 3 salespeople and left the store after waiting patiently for 20 minutes. Idiots. Incidentally, they were not serving other customers at the time; they simply chose to ignore me, figuring I suppose that they'd have to exert some extra effort to describe colors etc. to me.

Thanks to all who have replied, but at this point I think V4L is no longer an issue.

But just in case....where do I find their freaking telephone number>??

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
Is it that their site does not work for you, their coupon code field isn't easy for you to find to enter the data, or that the coupon codes are embedded in images in their e-mails? If the latter, a lot of the times their codes get posted in the Deals and Steals thread in the PIF area.

Ciego

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 29, 2010
Mark, as I wrote in the OP, I can read the code in the promo e-mails just fine, and it *appears* that I am entering them correctly in the form field. Upon completing check-out, I discover that the coupon code has somehow mysteriously failed. This is followed by V4L's effective but labrorious process of starting a support ticket, followed by an e-mail and an automatically-applied "gift certificate" on my next order.

As I said earlier, this bugs me, because I have to place another full-priced order, have the code ignored etc. just to get the discount that I should have received on my initial order.

And, as I said earlier... I am mostly vaping with 5510 gear, very little 808 anymore, and I don't *need* to do business with them anymore. Their loss.

If this reply sounds terse, sorry. I am not angry with anyone on the forum, nor even with Vapor4Life; it is as they say, what it is.

lolady

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2011
I am on Indian land
One thing I've noticed, the principal problem that most, if not all of the vendors seem to share is keeping merchandise in stock and keeping up with more orders than they anticipated or are set up to handle.

Websites that are hot messes and not exactly easy to navigate and use, whether we're sighted or not, old or young, heavily sedated or relatively clear-headed are the rule rather than the exception.

Industry-wide, it just isn't where companies are allocating their resources, because while people get annoyed at the hotmess websites, they get much more annoyed when their stuff doesn't arrive snicker-snack.

Like oldsoldier, I wish companies in the e-cigarette and all other industries would consider accessibility when obtaining their websites, but then I wish for a lot of things. :)

I agree with everyone who suggests that you do like the cheesy old gospel song says, and "call 'em up and tell 'em what you want!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread