Travel and Vaping Vacation?? Vaping in Ha3waii

Status
Not open for further replies.

AGNES PEACOCK

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2009
The Mother Lode, California
Just got back from an 8 day trip to Hawaii. Had the trip planned for several months. My daughter was graduatin from the University of Hawaii at Manoa. Last ninute daughter decided she wanted her 80 year old grandmother there. Mind you, my mother is opinionated, loud, hard of hearing, attention seeking, and the queen of drama compariable to none.

I had fully intended on making videos of vaping on the trip to place here. That idea was quickly abandoned as I knew I would just be trying to blend into the background most of the time.

We stayed at the Manoa Surfrider Renewed Moana Surfrider,A Westin Resorthome Very beautiful built in 1901. A must see! Though it is a non-smoking property. I vaped in the elevator, in my room and on Waikiki beach which is part of the hotel property. No questions from others, I did not vape while dining on the hotel property.

On the flight over I packed 2 screwdrivers (the ultimate and reg.), Jantys's Kissbox, Dura-C, and 2 Ruyan Jazz disposables. All were fully loaded and in in my daypack/purse. The pack has four sewn spots that they all fit into. In my carry on I had 4 bottles of Totally Wicked liquid that was individually wrapped in 4 separate z-lock bags. Also batteries and chargers were in separaate z-lock bags. Not a problem, not a question. We flew Hawaiian Airlines.

On the flight over I vaped each vaporizer (just because I could). I did not vape in front of the airline attendants. I held in the vapor until it was non exsistant.. God knows, mother/grandmother had already drawn enough attention to us. All went well, in spite of the unwanted attention from grandmother.

At the hotel I vaped in the room, elevator, streets. No problem, no questions. Didn't even try dining or drinking as grandmother was already drawing way tooo much attention.

On the flight back I used the Ruyan Jazz disposable and exhaled into my sweatshirt. I even tried it in the toilet (exhaling into the sink with the drain open), Not a problem!

Nowhere I went did I see another person with a vaporizer. But, I did notice that every smoking section/designated area ((few and far between) was full of japanesse tourists. They were the main analogue smokers everywhere in Hawaii.

Last edited:

geeker

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 12, 2009
Neither here nor there
I haven't seen anyone using one either and I live here. I haven't used mine in a restaurant, just in my car and outside.

There seem to be an awful lot of smokers in this 'healthy' state, though. :lol:
At least on the Big Island.

I second that.
I got a chance to visit the Big Island recently and there were lots and lots of Japanese tourists filling the smoking areas. Funny thing, they all seemes dressed for business, not vacation. Classy looking attire!

bigeyes

ECF Veteran
May 5, 2009
It actually makes the plane trip wonderful...

I have been there several times and it seems to be mostly japanese tourists...they smoke a lot...
In my neighborhood the locals smoke it up pretty big, too. Not so much the younger folks, but the older people do.

But definitely the Japanese tourists, too. A friend of mine traveled to Japan and said she was surprised how many places she could smoke without having to go outside, so I guess they aren't as anti-smoking as the US? :confused:

Vapinginjapan

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
In my neighborhood the locals smoke it up pretty big, too. Not so much the younger folks, but the older people do.

But definitely the Japanese tourists, too. A friend of mine traveled to Japan and said she was surprised how many places she could smoke without having to go outside, so I guess they aren't as anti-smoking as the US? :confused:

Not by a long shot.

In Japan, generally, instead of the US system where a place is assumed non smoking unless proven other wise, it's smoking unless stated. Atleast, in public establishments.

Bars, restaurants, many places you can smoke. They'll have smoking sections, sure, but they're more often than not more or less connected to the rest of the restaurant, very rarely do you see a special room dedicated to smoking, more like a seating area. Alot of fast food places have smoking sections, too.

Bars are all assumed to be smoking.

Government buildings generally have a smoking room where guests and employees can smoke.

The exception to this seems to be malls and shopping centers, which are generally smoke free.

Jim Davis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009
Retired in Houston, Texas / USA
I saw your video before and wanted to make one too. Great video! sorry everyone for my typos. I am still a bit stressed from the trip. Hopefully everyone with an opionated loud grandmother understands... It is so fun to vape on a plane though...

I have a mother like that. You've heard the old saying "Only the good die young"? My mother will out live Styrofoam.

Kona

ECF Veteran
Apr 15, 2009
Kona, Hawai'i
www.gpmkona.com
I haven't seen anyone using one either and I live here. I haven't used mine in a restaurant, just in my car and outside.

There seem to be an awful lot of smokers in this 'healthy' state, though. :lol:
At least on the Big Island.

Sorry to go off topic for a second, but I just wanted to say ALOHA to you, Bigeyes... You are the first island resident I have encountered in the Forums here.

Are you really on the Big Island? I am living in South Kona (Opihihale)...

Back on topic, I am leaving for a trip to the mainland in about a month, my first as a vaper. Since I am a photographer, I figured I would pack alot of gear in my camera bag (carry on), with the rest checked through.

Rather than ask redundant questions, I will peruse this Forum and try pick up more detailed info and experiences from others who are travelling by air...

Aloha,
GP

bigeyes

ECF Veteran
May 5, 2009
Sorry to go off topic for a second, but I just wanted to say ALOHA to you, Bigeyes... You are the first island resident I have encountered in the Forums here.

Are you really on the Big Island? I am living in South Kona (Opihihale)...
Yup, close to South Point, in the middle of nowhere, between Naalehu and Captain Cook. Kau District. :lol:
Aloha!

Now I know there are at least 2 of us on this island using e-cigs. :thumb:

AGNES PEACOCK

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2009
I can so relate to your mother issues! We should get our mothers together! As long as we can stand back and pretend we don't know them! Hope your next trip is a little more relaxing and congrats on the daughters graduation!

I love you!....... Thank you sooo much, I am just so proud of my daughter. =)

AGNES PEACOCK

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2009
no, should I? We're supposed to go parasailing in the next couple of months as a treat for the kids. I've bungee jumped and they're jealous. :lol:

Tee hee. Well, you live there, why not? But seriously, I would have a heart attack just before I jumped off the cliff at South Point. I have a video my daughter sent me when she did it. I have relatives on the big island and my daughter attended UH Hilo before UH Manoa. I love the big island, way better than Honolulu where I just visited. You are so lucky to be there, I'm jealious. Maybe, I can retire there. It is good to talk to you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread