Status
Not open for further replies.

Stoneface

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2013
New York
This is my first APV experience, which was going great until I ran into a battery issue. I bought 2 Efest 18650 nipple tops and 2 Efest 18350 nipple tops for the Vamo from RTD Vapor. I waited for the Vamo to arrive before I charged any batteries. They all seemed to charge just fine - the lights on the charger were green, slip the battery into the bay, the lights turned red, and many hours later the lights turned green again (indicating charged batteries). I charged both 18650 batteries at the same time. I only charged the 18350 batteries separately because I didn't buy any extra spacers. Both of the 18650 and one of the 18350 batteries worked just fine in the Vamo. However, when I rotated batteries, the Vamo will not turn on with the second 18350 and the display doesn't flash when I screw the end cap onto the body. This battery was the last one of the group that I put into the Vamo. I have since put all of the other (recharged) batteries into the Vamo and all is well. I did try to put the "non-working" battery back on the charger to see if it didn't charge fully, but the light on the charger bay stays green and I guess it thinks the battery has a full charge.

Initially, I did watch the charger carefully and didn't let the batteries sit in the bay for a long time after the light turned green. Even though the XTar is an "intelligent" charger, I don't have enough experience with it to trust it fully so I payed attention to it.

I don't yet have the multimeter in my hands (in the mail, waiting impatiently for it), so I can't check it with one. I don't have another PV device to try it out on, either (more on the way, vapemail that I am also waiting for). Does anyone have any helpful tips/advice? TIA

Stoneface

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2013
New York
Still waiting for the g*%&$(#!@mn meter...it's on a slow boat from wherever (sigh). I have ordered a couple more batteries anyway. I'm assuming that this one is pretty much useless. I've tried it both Vamos with no luck. I will meter it if the stupid thing ever arrives and post back results. Thanks for looking, though - I appreciate it.

Stoneface

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2013
New York
The meter arrived today!!! Now I'm done throwing fits, at least for now....

I tested the battery - the meter reads 1.06 volts (I also tested a different 18350, charged about 5 days ago, meter read 4.17 volts). So here's the thing; I understand why neither Vamo will run in shorty mode with the battery reading 1.06 volts on the meter. I don't understand why the charger doesn't charge the battery.

When I put this particular battery on the charger, the bay indicator light stays green as if it "sees" a charged battery. What gives? Is this a dead or dangerous IMR battery, which I wasn't able to use at all?

Stoneface

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2013
New York
The charger is "smart" and knows that battery is toast. That is WAY too low for a lithium cell. If it's new contact the vendor and ask for a refund / exchange.

DO NOT TRY ANY MONKEY BUSINESS AND CHARGE IT. Unless you are wanting to possibly cause a small explosion and/or fire.

©DROID/Tapatalk2™

Thanks for the info. I was leery of giving it any time on the charger again - I only inserted it into the bay long enough to see if the charger would react. I bought the batteries at RTDVapor and checked the site about returns on March 5. The site says any battery that has been put on a charger cannot be returned. I don't think they will take it back.

GunnyGlow

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 4, 2013
Colorado
Thanks for the info. I was leery of giving it any time on the charger again - I only inserted it into the bay long enough to see if the charger would react. I bought the batteries at RTDVapor and checked the site about returns on March 5. The site says any battery that has been put on a charger cannot be returned. I don't think they will take it back.

Put on a charger = charged, imo. You were not able to charge your battery.... It was DOA, right?

RTD has a good rep.... I would contact them.

©DROID/Tapatalk2™

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
The charger is "smart" and knows that battery is toast. That is WAY too low for a lithium cell. If it's new contact the vendor and ask for a refund / exchange.
You can't unequivocally claim the cell is toast, and I guess the NiteCore Intellicharger i4 that everyone is recommending is 'dumb', as it would have tried to charge that cell.

Stoneface

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2013
New York
You can't unequivocally claim the cell is toast, and I guess the NiteCore Intellicharger i4 that everyone is recommending is 'dumb', as it would have tried to charge that cell.

Hey WillyB. I only have the XTar charger. Is there any way to "trick" it into trying? Bear in mind that I'm a bit of a noob with anything other than protected LiOn batteries. Or do you think I should throw in the towel? Thanks.

GunnyGlow

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 4, 2013
Colorado

I can and I did. Lithium cells shouldn't be overcharged or over depleted. You risk a fire...

Sounds like a dumb charger to me.

Are you really going to come in here and recommend someone who is obviously not very familiar with Li-xx cells to try and charge an over discharged cell? That is a great way to help someone burn their house down.

Stoneface - contact RTD and get a new cell. It is NOT worth it to try and revive this cell.

©DROID/Tapatalk2™

GunnyGlow

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 4, 2013
Colorado
Hey WillyB. I only have the XTar charger. Is there any way to "trick" it into trying? Bear in mind that I'm a bit of a noob with anything other than protected LiOn batteries. Or do you think I should throw in the towel? Thanks.

You can bring the voltage of your cell up enough to get your charger to accept it.... As in - it's possible. Should you? NO!

You received the cell in an over discharged state... Meaning it has been over discharged for a decent amount of time. This is bad for the chemistry of the cell. Your battery is crap.... Don't put it into service.

Read here for more info...

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_lithium_ion_batteries

©DROID/Tapatalk2™

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
You can bring the voltage of your cell up enough to get your charger to accept it.... As in - it's possible. Should you? NO!

You received the cell in an over discharged state... Meaning it has been over discharged for a decent amount of time. This is bad for the chemistry of the cell. Your battery is crap.... Don't put it into service.

Read here for more info...

Charging Lithium-Ion Batteries

Seems you have missed BatteryU's info that pertains to this post.

A study done by Cadex to examine failed batteries reveals that three out of ten batteries are removed from service due to over-discharge. Furthermore, 90 percent of returned batteries have no fault or can easily be serviced.

Do not boot lithium-based batteries back to life that have dwelled below 1.5V/cell for a week or longer.

GunnyGlow

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 4, 2013
Colorado
Seems you have missed BatteryU's info that pertains to this post.

He is reporting the battery in question is just over 1 volt.. Under 1.5 volts. And it is new... He should contact the vendor.

If your advice is to risk it and try to revive the cell, that is bad advice.

©DROID/Tapatalk2™

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
... Sounds like a dumb charger to me.

Are you really going to come in here and recommend someone who is obviously not very familiar with Li-xx cells to try and charge an over discharged cell? That is a great way to help someone burn their house down.
Seems you need to pay more attention, not once did I recommend or explain a procedure on how to charge it with his charger... you did.

I did miss read his voltage though, I thought it was 1.6V. That said the Nitecore will still charge as long as the voltage is >~0.75V.

GunnyGlow

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 4, 2013
Colorado
Seems you need to pay more attention, not once did I recommend or explain a procedure on how to charge it with his charger... you did.

I did miss read his voltage though, I thought it was 1.6V. That said the Nitecore will still charge as long as the voltage is >~0.75V.

I need to pay attention? Looks like you just admitted above you were not able to devote enough attention to the details and make a good recommendation based on the situation at hand. :)

Where did I recommend or explain a procedure to bypass his charger to bring the voltage in his dead cell up? I have been against that from the beginning. Please quote the recommendation.

You make mention of a charger that would charge the cell in question and then go on later to quote Battery U inferring he should make an attempt to revive it.

©DROID/Tapatalk2™

jeffd

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 23, 2012
ontario
Stoneface, let us know how you fair out with this battery with regards to its return to vendor. Even if they won't accept it back its not worth messing with and risk for the cost of a replacement.
I have the same charger and so far like it allot. I personally like how it flipped the charge indicator to "green\charged" rather then remaining status "red" indicating that it was still trying to charge the cell. With it indicating green \ charged the user automatically assumes its ok and comes to the conclusion as you did that it was toast when you tried to use it and no response. I think the charger is pretty smart actually :)

As others have said a multimeter is key for figuring this stuff out.

good luck!

Last edited:

Stoneface

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2013
New York
Stoneface, let us know how you fair out with this battery with regards to its return to vendor. Even if they won't accept it back its not worth messing with and risk for the cost of a replacement.
I have the same charger and so far like it allot. I personally like how it flipped the charge indicator to "green\charged" rather then remaining status "red" indicating that it was still trying to charge the cell. With it indicating green \ charged the user automatically assumes its ok and comes to the conclusion as you did that it was toast when you tried to use it and no response. I think the charger is pretty smart actually :)

As others have said a multimeter is key for figuring this stuff out.

good luck!

Yes, that is definitely one of the reasons why I bought this particular charger. Others seem to like a more expensive charger better, but the indicator lights and "smart" features sold me on this one (I need all the help a noob can get - don't want a pv exploding in my face). I also only charge my batteries in the bathroom where they are surrounded by non-combustibles, and check them about every 5 minutes. It's tedious, but after I read all of the battery warnings in the forum I'm paranoid until I get a feel for this.
On the plus side, my order for several more of these batteries arrived yesterday. They all charged normally, and tested between 4.19 and 4.21 volts off the charger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread