VAMO V2 Refuses To Fire Over 3.7 Volts...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ruet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
GR, MI
Hello VAMO Users,

I have a V2 VAMO that will not fire over 3.7 volts when using an 18650 battery or 4 volts when using an 18350 battery. I've had it for about 4 months and have not experienced any issues up to this point. I've tried several different batteries and two different springs. Anyone else run into this?

ruet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
GR, MI
what about removing the battery and letting it sit for a few hours?

Done and done. ...for about 48-hours, actually. I've submitted a trouble-ticket to my vendor. If they can't do anything about it I'm just going to consider it a loss. I think it has a weak solder point in the control head. I've got another on order and will use my backup device until it arrives.

ruet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
GR, MI
As an FYI for the group:

I received absolutely no response whatsoever from then vendor I purchased my VAMO from. Not even a "there's nothing we can do" reply. Needless to say I won't be purchasing from them again. So... I took apart my faulty VAMO over the weekend and my suspicions were confirmed. The negative wire from the control PCBs to the 510 connection head had a failing solder joint. I attempted to re-flow the solder but there was such a large blob of it at the joint that my little iron didn't put out enough heat to melt it. So, I tossed it in a box. I'll get around to fixing it when I FINALLY buy myself a decent soldering station. Meanwhile, I continue to use my backup device until my replacement VAMO arrives on the slow-boat from China. (It left New York this morning)

ruet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
GR, MI
Another FYI:

Over the weekend I re-soldered the negative lead to the 510 connecting and put everything back together. Put in a fresh battery and took a test draw. Pleased that the unit was, at-least, working I attached my volt-meter leads and started testing.

3.5v=3.5v
3.7v=3.7v
4.0v=4.0v
4.1v=4.0v
4.5v=4.0v
5.0v=4.0v

So, the loose connection was not the culprit. Back to the drawing board...

ruet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
GR, MI
I'm using an analog multi-meter set to read 12vDC. Voltages read correctly on my replacement VAMO and a VV-Gripper I own. (both use PWM). I didn't go all the way to 6v because I was discouraged/satisfied with the results up to 5v. I think the original VAMO is a loss at this point as buying a replacement PCB does not appear to be cost effective. I might, just for the fun of it, attempt to transplant the electronics from my Gripper into the VAMO tube. I'd miss the VW but what the heck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread