The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Vamo V5 - wrong ohms reading, heat and battery drain

Discussion in 'VV/VW APV Discussion' started by at1rest, Oct 10, 2015.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. at1rest

at1rest Full Member

Oct 2, 2014
    Pittsburgh, PA USA
    Hi there,

I haven't been around for a while. All is great. Rebuilding coils with great success wrapping 9/8 around a 5/64" tooth pick with Kanthal A1 30GA and wicking with cotton from cotton balls.
    2 Vamo V5 with Protank 2, and 2 Vision Spinner II with mini protank 2.

About 4 days ago my second Vamo V5, the newer of the 2, started reading the coil ohms higher than what they actually are. A general example would be seeing a 2.1 as a 4.8.
    Even so, vaping performance was still good.

The next step in the failure process is battery life.
    Yesterday it went through a fairly new(31 charge cycles) AW IMR 18650 2000mAh in less than a day.
    My average is more than 3 days before a charge, since I usually have 2 Vamos and 1 Spinner II running on my desk at all times. Even so, vaping performance still good.

Today I woke up and had a few good hits on it and the battery was dead again.
    I put a freshly charged one in and it lasted about 5 minutes and it was getting pretty hot before it drained the battery.

Generally, I've been using 2.1 to .23 coils with a voltage setting of 3.4 to 3.7 and getting great results,
    so I've not been pushing it hard.

It's a floating pin version and I keep the top fairly clean around the pin, soaking up the minor drippage with q-tips.

-----
    I'd love to save it.
    I can solder, but can't seem to find a way to get the board out of this, short of a dremel with a cutting wheel.

The joint right below the fire button unscrews and I can see inside. I thought of blasting it with some Deoxit DN-5 but that's gonna make a mess. ( I wish the original "Blue Shower" was still available ... the one that left absolutely no lube or residue behind )

Any suggestions would be very welcome.

Thanks in advance for any comments or discussion.

Steve

UPDATE:
    Pushed and tugged on the fire pin with a set of stats and also cleaned around the pin.
    Pin is moving as it should.
    Checked it with a multi meter.
    Fire pin to the pin that touches the positive side of the battery was reading as connected and current flowing wide open. That doesn't seem right.

I shot some compressed air into it where I could see the board.
    Now that pin to pin connection is reading zero on the multi meter, but the Vamo won't even boot up.

I'd guess a cold solder joint somewhere. I wish I could figure out how to get the board out of it.

P.S. The reason I lke the Vamo is that it reads coil omage.
    Replacement suggestions are welcome!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.