Vandy Vape AP Kit 900mAh with AP MTL Sub Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim Wiseman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2017
Bolton, England
Hi ECF members, In this review i take a look at the AP Kit 900mAh with AP MTL Sub tank from Vandy vape. The Vandy Vape AP Kit 900mAh with AP MTL Sub tank was supplied for the purpose of this review by Ariel from Vandy Vape.

AP kit | VANDY VAPE® Full Steam Ahead

Introduction

The AP or Apollo Kit is a MTL kit with very good constant voltage and airflow options to get the MTL vape that suits you. The mod is small being not much bigger than an 18650 battery and has a Waterproof, Dustproof and Shockproof rating of IP66. The device in my opinion is a cross between the Geekvape Flint and Aegis mod giving MTL users that same durability that has been enjoyed by Aegis users. The AP MTL sub tank (no idea why they have started calling MTL tanks sub tanks lately as i always thought sub was for subohm) comes with 2 different MTL coil heads which house a horizontal coil, one being 1.5ohm the other 1.8ohm and the airflow options means you can get whatever MTL draw you prefer going from super airy to super tight!

In the Box

Contents:

1 x AP Battery
1 x AP MTL Sub Ohm Tank
1 x 1.5ohm coil
1 x 1.8ohm coil
1 x Spare glass
1 x Accessory bag
1 x User manual

Aesthetics and Ergonomics

The Apollo Kit comes in plain Black cardboard Box packaging with presentation sleeve and on taking the top off the box i was met by mod, tank, spare glass and accessory box. I received the frosted Amber version which is actually the colour of the inner hard plastic casing which can be seen through cutouts in the Black rubber outer casing so all versions are predominantly Black. The other colour options available are Frosted Red, Frosted Cyan, Frosted Green and Frosted Black, all options come with a Black Apollo tank with o-ring to match the frosted colour of the device. As mentioned the device has a hard plastic frosted inner casing and then a rubber outer casing which has cutouts both sides and on the spine to see the frosted plastic. The whole device has a lot of texturing so to go along with it's ergonomic size and shape it also has loads of grip. The front of the device has a very large rectangular (almost square) fire button top then central we have 2 lines of little LED circles, one line of 5 running horizontally for battery life indication and then one line running vertically for voltage settings. Below the LED indicators we have side by side - and + buttons then below these a silicone bung that protects the micro USB port which gives a really good seal. The fire button has the Vandy Vape logo raised on it and the - and + button are labelled, there is also some labelling for voltage and a USB symbol on the bung but all labelling mentioned is Black on Black so not easy to see. The base of the device has printed branding and safety stamps, moving to the top we have a 510 plate that sits flush with Gold plated, spring loaded 510. When it comes to build quality the Apollo is one hell of a tough, durable feeling device yet very lightweight, great job!

AP Kit Specs and Features:

Specifications

Size: 114mm * 27.9mm
Battery Capacity: Built-in 900mAh battery
E-juice Capacity: 2ml
Output power: ≤20W
Working voltage: 3.2V-4.2V
Working current: ≤6.5A
Output voltage: 3.2V-4.0V
Coil resistance range: 0.6-3ohm
Output mode: voltage mode
Standby current: ≤20uA
Thread: 510 thread

Features

1. Smooth appearance, lightweight TPE material
2. 900mAh built-in battery offers long-time vaping and powerful vaping experience
3. Compatible with MTL coil, produce massive clouds, great MTL vaping experience
4. Waterproof, Shockproof, Dust-proof
5. Multi-directional air holes, wide range adjustment
6. Top filling design, easy to refill

Colours: Frosted Red, Frosted Cyan, Frosted Green, Frosted Amber, Frosted Black

Apollo Tank Overview

The Apollo tank is a 2ml capacity tank that comes with 2 coil heads a 1.5ohm and a 1.8ohm, both house horizontal coils. The overall aesthetics are like the Berserker MTL V1.5 but without the heat sink fins and has a completely different drip tip set-up but the finish on the tank and the texturing top and bottom are the same. The drip tip is a narrow bore MTL style but is a sleeve fitting so you can't use your own 510's, the drip tip is actually very comfortable but you don't get a spare and if you lose it you're a bit stuffed.

The Apollo is top-fill and the top-cap screws off and does have quite long threading but the quality of the threading is top notch. Once the top-cap is removed you are met by a metal plate with 2 generous kidney shaped cutouts so no issues with filling. The Apollo has an inner frame with housing for the coil so the glass section is trapped between the top and bottom ledges of the frame. To remove or replace the glass section you need to take the top section off the frame but there is nothing to grip so a tool is provided to unscrew the top section which allows the glass to be freely removed, you get a spare glass.

The base section of the tank unscrews from the inner frame and the coil head gets screwed into the base. You receive a 1.5ohm coil rated between 3.0v and 4.2v and a 1.8ohm coil which is rated between 3.2v and 4.3v, the coils for the Berserker MTL tank are also compatible with the Apollo and visa versa.

The Apollo has bottom airflow and the airflow control ring has a 2.5mm hole just one side. When turning the airflow control ring you line the hole up with different size airflow holes on the base, the size of the holes are 2.5mm, 2.0mm, 1.5mm, 1.0mm, 0.8mm and finally for a super tight draw 0.6mm. The control ring moves with just the right amount of tolerance and has a stopper.

Waterproof, Shockproof and Dustproof

The Apollo device has an IP rating of IP66 which means the device is protected from total dust ingress and is protected from high pressure water jets from any direction, limited ingress protection. For the rating for water to be 7 like the Aegis it needs to be able to be submersed for a period of time to a depth of up to 1 metre so obviously this is not guaranteed but i did personally place mine in the bathroom sink with about 10cm submersion for 10 minutes and the device stayed perfectly watertight. Amongst the things that are noticeable that keep the Apollo watertight is the silicone seal for the USB port and the fire, - and + buttons are underneath the outer casing and click from pressure but work very well.

Disclaimer

I tested the device for water resistance for my own interest and thought i would share what happened, i am not responsible for any damage caused to the device from someone trying the same experiment.

Using The Apollo

The Apollo is a very simple device ideal for MTL vapers and a really good device for the new vaper. The device is the usual 5 clicks of the fire button to turn the device on and 5 clicks to turn off and when first turning on or off all 10 LED indicator lights flash 5 times. Once the device is on simply press the - and + buttons to change the constant voltage output which is indicated by the corresponding voltage setting LED lighting up, the highest, middle and lowest settings are labelled 4.0v, 3.6v and 3.2v but in total their are 5 settings 3.2v, 3.4v, 3.6v, 3.8v and 4.0v. The horizontal line of LED's above the voltage indication is as previously mentioned a row of 5 battery status indication lights. When all 5 come on when vaping the battery is full and has the battery life gets lower less lights come on, not sure exactly of the percentages but it gives really good indication having 5 stages, the norm for this sort of device is only 3. The device also has all the usual safety features which are indicated by different amount of flashes from the LED's.

Protections

Overtime Protection
No Atomizer Alert
Low Power Protection
Short Circuit Protection
Over Temperature Protection

My Experience Using The Apollo (AP) Kit

I mainly low wattage direct lung vape between 30 to 40 watts but still approx 25% of the time enjoy a MTL vape when the mood takes me and it's great to see some really good MTL set-ups being released of late and the Apollo kit is as good as any. The flavour from the Apollo tank (although i only used the 1.5ohm coil) is comparable to the Flint and far better than the majority of pod systems. The draw options i can't fault going from a super airy 2.5mm airflow setting right down to a super tight 0.6mm airflow setting. The 5 different constant voltage settings on the device along with those airflow options means you can fine tune to get the perfect MTL vape that suits you. I personally found the 1.5ohm coil best for me using the 2.0mm airflow hole (i like an airy MTL vape) and on the 3.8 constant voltage setting, i did think that maybe with the 2.5mm airflow a DL vape would be possible but the Apollo tank is strictly a MTL tank. Of Course both the Apollo tank and device can be used independently and i can see some people might say the fact the device will only fire down to a 0.6ohm coil is a con, i would agree apart from this has a 900mAh battery so i wouldn't even consider putting a build on it that would give me next to no battery life. Talking about battery life with the supplied coils it's not bad at all but obviously if you go down to a 1.0ohm coil or below using a MTL RTA on the device battery life will suffer so it could always be bigger, in fact a battery hatch on the base (wouldn't be difficult to make watertight) to fit the battery externally would of been a good move. The device supports 1A charging and pass through, if vaping while charging the constant voltage output can be adjusted.

Very tough, durable device
Plenty of colour choices
Lightweight
Ergonomic
Good Grip
Pocket friendly
Waterproof, Dustproof IP rating IP66
Shockproof
5 different constant voltage settings
Very good battery status indication
Battery life not bad with supplied coils
1A charging
Pass through with full voltage setting functionality
Multiple protections
Good flavour (as good as Flint)
6 airflow options from super tight to super airy
Along with voltage settings can fine tune vape
Top-fill

Cons

Proprietary Drip tip
If using the device with lower ohm coils battery life will not be great
Only fires down to 0.6ohm (not a con for me as i would only use a 900mAh device for higher resistance MTL coils)
Internal battery (The device looks like it just has an 18650 fitted inside so having an hatch door to swap your batteries would of been much better)
Labelling on device Black on Black

I would once again like to thank Ariel for supplying the AP (Apollo) Kit 900mAh with AP (Apollo) MTL Sub Tank for the purpose of this review.

AP kit | VANDY VAPE® Full Steam Ahead

• Informative
Reactions: zoiDman
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread