Vandy Vape Berserker MTL RDA

Status
Not open for further replies.

sk25411

ECF Veteran
Sep 8, 2017
San Diego, California
I just did a taste test with the doggy vs the new berserker RDA.

Both have a 2mm ID, 28g kanthal, spaced, 6 wrap, coming in @1ohm.

Same juice, 10mg, 65pg/35vg, FA SOHO.

Berserker, smallest airflow insert, and smallest airflow hole. Doggy, as closed as I can get it with still getting air.

The airflow is better for me on the doggy, it seems a little looser on the berserker, but I have a feeling that’s because of a 2mm ID coil. I think a 2.5 or 3 will produce similar draw to the doggy.

The flavor @13-15w is nearly IDENTICAL between both. Very satisfying vape for sure.

Overall, no clear “winner”. I think the berserker rda is way easier to build on even though it’s an 18mm atty. I think a bigger fused clapton might be nicer in the berserker, but it’s a solid experience all around.

These are now the only 2 setups I own, 6 doggies with spare parts, and a berserker rda. I have permanently retired my nautilus, nautilus 2, and Innokin Ares, as I feel these 2 are superior vapes (for ME)!

JimzDogz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 1, 2013
Pensacola, Florida, USA
Something like that would work I think:

View attachment 733689
I have 2 of those tip and they do a very good job of reducing the effects of popping juice. It's worth the cost to pick one up. It is of course a work around of the problem. The one variable in your problem is of course, you.
If you are trying to get an open draw, that you can hit hard and blow clouds. Well that's just not going to work.
The Berserker is a MTL (mouth to lung) device. Basically that means a tight draw with reduced airflow and low watts. , that's just the nature of the beast.

Mermaaan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
California
I've had the Berserker MTL RDA for a couple of weeks now and have been loving it! Previously only direct to lounging on various RDA's at about 0.1 ohms. Add I am loving the whole MTL thing. So much more flavor, and my family and co workers are relieved for sure. The windows at my house were periodically developing a film of built up vapour from all the clouds. Currently got it sat upon a brass coppervape squonk, but soon... A stainless steel custom-classic. Can't wait!!

Congrats on the CC!

Mermaaan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
California
51115681971e5f2a071451a94df6b41e.jpg

Just received mine! Initial test to see if it would make a nice restricted lung hitter is a success!

Build: 27 g ka1, 2.5 mm ID, 5.5 wraps ohming out at .8

Using the largest airflow insert and swapping the mtl drip tip out for a khw mods dvarw drip tip makes for a very smooth restricted hit, kindof in the same range as a kayfun 5 wide open. Flavor is great too!

Mermaaan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
California
I have no spare drip tips. I think the metal part in the drip that comes with the tank is essential to dissipate heat. Even with it sometimes the top of the drip tip gets too hot.

@Mermaaan mentioned some drip tips here: nuppins, delrin and ultem. I'll look for them on FastTech or somewhere else. Does anyone recommend any long 510 drip tips with heat dissipation?

Thiago, I tend to only use drip tips long enough to prevent my lips from touching the cap of the rda. Delrin and Ultem are my two favorite materials as they are good at absobing and dissipating heat. The default tip that comes with the berserker is a no go for me - mostly metal, so it will retain heat (heat fins on rdas are a gimmick and don't work imo) and the ultem or delrin part at the top is too short, so you are more likely to burn your lips on the overheated metal part of the tip. Plus I don't do mtl so the bore is too tight for me. I prefer something more like this:

Authentic Vapefly 510 Yellow PEI 16mm Drip Tip for Galaxies MTL RDA

Comes in black too.

A longer tip is going to give you a cooler vape as well since the vapor has further to travel, so that would be a preference thing, as would the bore size (condensed vs loose vapor stream).

One thing I've found with tight bore drip tips is that juice tends to build up at the base either through condensation, or if you have too much in the atty and it makes contact with the drip tip when tilted. It tends to want to stay there until you inhale and then travels up the tip to your mouth. A slightly wider bore might help eliminate that as it makes it harder for it to form a bubble at the base of the drip tip.

Reactions: Thiago C

CollotsSpot

Apr 2, 2018
I've mostly been using the insert with the the holes because I generally like the airflow from the drop and bonza RDA's. Lots of small holes making for smoother airflow. Just started using the smallest single hole and prefer it. It's a slightly tighter draw and it seems to have eliminated the bubbling effect from over squonking.

Reactions: Figs

CollotsSpot

Apr 2, 2018
51115681971e5f2a071451a94df6b41e.jpg

Just received mine! Initial test to see if it would make a nice restricted lung hitter is a success!

Build: 27 g ka1, 2.5 mm ID, 5.5 wraps ohming out at .8

Using the largest airflow insert and swapping the mtl drip tip out for a khw mods dvarw drip tip makes for a very smooth restricted hit, kindof in the same range as a kayfun 5 wide open. Flavor is great too!
Is that the 22mm beauty ring? What's it like without?

ShaneR42

ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2016
...The flavor @13-15w is nearly IDENTICAL between both. Very satisfying vape for sure.

Overall, no clear “winner”....

Welp, your experience probably saved me some money. I've become weary of chasing the "next best thing" and think I'll just stick with my several Doggy tanks and be happy. Borderom might get the better of me, eventually, but...

Walter_Sobchak

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2017
Indiana
Never used a MTL RDA only my Bererker RTAs and the Siren 2 and I'm really interested in trying this one out. I love the thought of being able to use it with one of my squonkers but I'm curious about what the MTL experience is like on a mech? On my MTL setups I'm usually at about 1.1 ohms and 11-14 watts on regulated mods. Running the numbers on Steam Engine it looks like it would be pretty close on a mech. Am I missing anything? The Pico Squeeze is really appealing because of it's small size and I think it would be a great little pocket setup with the Berserker.

Reactions: Figs

sk25411

ECF Veteran
Sep 8, 2017
San Diego, California
For the life of me, I cannot get a spaced coil with the vandyvape superfine mtl SS316 to fit in this. It ends up being way too long at 5/6 wraps (6 is my preferred).

I’m not too experienced with TC yet. Would it matter if I make a 4 wrap coil? That would put the ohms real low, I usually end up at .55 with 6 wraps.

I guess if I use TC at 400, and just have the wattage at 20w, it would still be similar? I think I’m getting caught up in the ohms, I don’t know.

Hope that makes sense? Thanks!

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
For the life of me, I cannot get a spaced coil with the vandyvape superfine mtl SS316 to fit in this. It ends up being way too long at 5/6 wraps (6 is my preferred).

I’m not too experienced with TC yet. Would it matter if I make a 4 wrap coil? That would put the ohms real low, I usually end up at .55 with 6 wraps.

I guess if I use TC at 400, and just have the wattage at 20w, it would still be similar? I think I’m getting caught up in the ohms, I don’t know.

Hope that makes sense? Thanks!
Why are yoir spaced coils so long? Wrap a regular contact coil. Then stretch it out like a spring then push it back together. POOF! Spaced coil.

sk25411

ECF Veteran
Sep 8, 2017
San Diego, California
@Don29palms I know lol. The deck is super small, even compared to a doggystyle.

Also, the wire is pretty thick, not sure if you’ve used it before.

It’s like the legs need to go “inward” to trap under the screws, and all hell breaks loose.

I’ve done a simple 26 and 28 ss316 spaced no problem, I think it’s just this wire.

Figs

ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2017
Granbury - Texas - USA
Never used a MTL RDA only my Bererker RTAs and the Siren 2 and I'm really interested in trying this one out. I love the thought of being able to use it with one of my squonkers but I'm curious about what the MTL experience is like on a mech? On my MTL setups I'm usually at about 1.1 ohms and 11-14 watts on regulated mods. Running the numbers on Steam Engine it looks like it would be pretty close on a mech. Am I missing anything? The Pico Squeeze is really appealing because of it's small size and I think it would be a great little pocket setup with the Berserker.

Works great on a Squeeze at 1 ohm. Go for it, I bet you will like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread