Vandy Vape BERSERKER (24mm) MTL RTA

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShaneR42

ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2016
Just to add my own experience....

My Berserker is in the 2ml config (I've never tried the 4), and I still get gurgling and minor flooding when top-filling. Nothing serious, though...a few good pulls and it disappears. But it's surely enough to tick me off each and every time. There must be a secret... ;)

Learning to live with it, though.

Reactions: 52anddone

ricks

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 11, 2011
Moscow PA
Just to add my own experience....

My Berserker is in the 2ml config (I've never tried the 4), and I still get gurgling and minor flooding when top-filling. Nothing serious, though...a few good pulls and it disappears. But it's surely enough to tick me off each and every time. There must be a secret... ;)

Learning to live with it, though.
The thickness of the wick ends and how thick the liquid is makes a big difference with this gurgling issue.

I had no gurgling by sticking a toothpick in the air hole before removing the top cap. Didn't work for all tho...

52anddone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
WoW !! That was Very Interesting ricks. Wick so hard that you have to hold your coil with 2 fingers while pulling thru. I need some time for that to soak in. I'll be thinking about what I saw for days now. I don't know how you found that video, but I'm glad you did. Thanks for that.:thumbs:

There has been a lot of people over on the Rayon thread that suspicioned that Phil screwed up that very same test when he did it way back when.

I have always used 1 finger nail to hold my coil when pulling my KGD thru so I don't move my coil out of place, but I guess that technique is not right ?? I'll have to try... what's his name again, HIS method on that video and see how it works for me.

On my second time watching that video, I picked up on when he said that he saw no difference in the wicking speed and amount wicked between Japanese Cotton and Cotton Bacon. Another Interesting bit information there.

Ya know, I wonder what would have happened if he had hooked up a pair of test leads from a Power Supply to those wicked coils (of course with insulated stand off's between the coil and the plastic board) and have a fan blowing across the coils to keep the wicks from becoming burnt, and see if that would influence the test at all. 5 seconds on, then about 5 minutes off, and do that several times. It would be complicated to do, and time consuming, and any results would have to shown at the end of the video in a chart or something.

A lot to think about in that video. At least for me.

Last edited:

Cool_Breeze

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2011
Kentucky
I haven't seen Phil's test. I use Rayon...very tight. I think there was a thought not pointed out in the 1st segment. While obviously the vertical travel of the liquid moved quicker, I suspect that the overall 'volume' of liquid moved was greater per the thickness of the larger wicks. I would have like to have seen Rayon included in such an experiment. I've never used cotton...at least not the commercial vaping cottons. One possible caviat on thickness is that they all passed through 4mm holes.

52anddone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Hey again Cool_Breeze. In Phil's wicking test, I think (if I remember correctly) he used some Sally's Rayon, and it was one of the Worst as far as wicking speed goes compared to KGD and Regular Cotton Balls, that's why some on the Rayon thread cried Foul with his test.

Last edited:
Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I wicked my berserker quite tightly (but with rayon). The flavor is great, and I get no flooding or gurgling even with topfill. Also, juice consumption is low. I am fully in the camp of tight wicking (in the coil) and the correct amount of thinning/tail length. I've been very, very happy with the Berserker's performance this way.

Anna

ricks

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 11, 2011
Moscow PA
I wicked my berserker quite tightly (but with rayon). The flavor is great, and I get no flooding or gurgling even with topfill. Also, juice consumption is low. I am fully in the camp of tight wicking (in the coil) and the correct amount of thinning/tail length. I've been very, very happy with the Berserker's performance this way.

Anna
With my 2mm coils I don't thin my tails at all. It just fits nicely. I'm using Rayon also but I want to try Japanese cotton again but tight like Rayon to see how it works. Curious...

With the 24g wire I use the other day, it drank my liquid a little quicker compared to 28g.

ToolmanTexas

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 14, 2014
T for Texas!
Well, I've tried most of the new RTAs now:
  • Berserker
  • KF Prime (SXK clone to determine if want authentic)
  • Siren V2
  • Cthulu Hastur
Flavor and draw are the most important factors to me on an RTA and everything else follows that.

I do a 2mm kanthal contact coil with rayon in all my RTAs at about 1.2-1.5 ohm. The RTA needs to support the build and I don't do different builds for different RTAs.

For context my all time favorite RTAs:
  • KFL
  • Spheroid
  • Gem V1
  • Gus Phen. Zest
  • Erlkonigin nano
KF Prime is super nice but not tight enough on the draw for me, will be selling. Don't like the AFC push/pull and doesn't play nice with the JFC to me.

Cthulu Hastur is great and with the air inserts can get the draw and flavor where I like. Nice looking and well made but too big at 24mm and have already sold. Negative is have to drain to get to deck, at least from what I can tell.

Siren V2 so far doesn't hit the flavor for me but still putting through some paces. Draw is tight enough or at least pretty close. Got the 22mm on this one so size is good and a good looking device.

The Berserker is spot on for flavor and draw for me. Very close to the high-end RTAs I love which is saying a TON. I have 2 22mm ones on order and if flavor and draw are same I'll sell the 24mm and grab a couple of more 22s :)
I like the look, the size, I don't mind bottom fill and I'm going to determine if I can top fill like I do my Kayfuns with the old turn upside down method.
For under $30... phhhtttt, no brainer.

If they make a 22mm Ares I'll probably still try it but I suspect the air will be similar to the Prime.

ToolmanTexas

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 14, 2014
T for Texas!
I'm trying a contact coil now with the 28g SS and it's just not as flavorful as a spaced coil. I haven't tried a contact one in a while and was just curious how it would work in the Berserker.

What is your favorite coil in the Berserker?
I've always used contact coils in my RTAs but I'm going to experiment with spaced coils once I get through this round of testing all the new RTAs. Want consistency right now until done with the tests.

Figs

ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2017
Granbury - Texas - USA
@toolman - the upside down hack works IF you add another step. Once you flip it and tighten, keep it upside down for about 30 secs to a minute, That will give it time to pressurize. Some tanks seem to take a bit longer to achieve pressure than others, and the Berserker is one of them. I have done this with a few tanks in the past, and it works perfect on the Berserker. Zero flood or gurgle.

TheotherSteveS

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2015
Birmingham, England
I've always used contact coils in my RTAs but I'm going to experiment with spaced coils once I get through this round of testing all the new RTAs. Want consistency right now until done with the tests.
spaced coils overrated if you ask me...which of course you didnt but anyway just saying lol!!
the other thing with spaced coils is people dont do a dry burn run with them. Anyone who has made microcoils knows that any wire has a lot of .... on it that needs to be burnt off....i see a lot of reviewers just throwing a spaced ss or kanthal coil in and vaping away and i think about the crap they are breathing in first couple of hits. That is a Health & Safety Bulletin from TOSteveS at your service! Lol!

Last edited:

ricks

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 11, 2011
Moscow PA
spaced coils overrated if you ask me...which of course you didnt but anyway just saying lol!!
the other thing with spaced coils is popel dont do a dry burn run with them. Anyone who has made microcoils knows that any wire has a lot of .... on it that needs to be burnt off....i see a lot of reviewers just throwing a spaced ss or kanthal coil in and vaping away and i think about the crap they are breathing in first couple of hits. That is a Health & Safety Bulletin from TOSteveS at your service! Lol!
I'm going back to a spaced coil because I'm getting muted flavor with a contact one. Just saying... LoL

TheotherSteveS

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2015
Birmingham, England
I'm going back to a spaced coil because I'm getting muted flavor with a contact one. Just saying... LoL
that's really interesting @ricks because my experience is the opposite. Particularly in M2l RDAs where spaced coils just suck donkeys..I will try again though!!! Funny business this vaping lark!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread