Status
Not open for further replies.

ricks

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 11, 2011
Moscow PA
that's really interesting @ricks because my experience is the opposite. Particularly in M2l RDAs where spaced coils just suck donkeys..I will try again though!!! Funny business this vaping lark!!
In drippers I hear that contact coils are better but in RTA's the spaced coil delivers more flavor. Suck donkey??? What's that???

ToolmanTexas

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 14, 2014
T for Texas!
@ToolmanTexas did you ever jump on the Doggy bandwagon? How does it fit in your list?
Yep, I sure did. I think the SXK doggy is a fantastic atty and for $10 wow..

But, I did sell all mine because the flavor was a 7 or 8 compared to my 10 on KFL or Spheroid.... But I'm SUPER picky about flavor and it's of course very subjective...that said I'm still a promoter of the tank because I think most would love it.

ToolmanTexas

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 14, 2014
T for Texas!
spaced coils overrated if you ask me...which of course you didnt but anyway just saying lol!!
the other thing with spaced coils is people dont do a dry burn run with them. Anyone who has made microcoils knows that any wire has a lot of .... on it that needs to be burnt off....i see a lot of reviewers just throwing a spaced ss or kanthal coil in and vaping away and i think about the crap they are breathing in first couple of hits. That is a Health & Safety Bulletin from TOSteveS at your service! Lol!
Appreciate that and yes my microcoils kick .... and it will have to be a whole nother level to get me to move off.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
You have to see this video about cotton wicking... He suggests making your cotton tight in the coil.
Interesting...

I'm a rayon user, but when I used cotton, I use to pack it pretty good, just about the amounts I use for rayon...imo when people use to much cotton and get bad results, they rewick with not as much and come to the conclusion that there was to much in the coil. I say that's not the case, and if they just had reduced the tail amounts, they would find everything was good. So imo, you can pack the coil with cotton and use as much as possible (as long as you don't compress or twist the entire wick) as long as you just pull the cotton thru, just by holding coil with your nail, I don't think you can get to much in, and imo, it's a better vape...the issue is the tails, and that's where you cannot have to much....but if your vaping low wattages, is there much difference to pack and trim, or just enough and not trim, I'm not so sure....now I vape mtl rebuildables in the 22 watt range and imo when I was using cotton, definitely better doing a pack and trim.....so it got me thinking, why do people pack and trim with rayon, but not cotton? Well they say this and that, but imo both should be done this way

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

52anddone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
When I last did a re-wick, I switched over and used Rayon this time (for the first time in this Berserker) and I did my usual "pack the Rayon in the coil Tight" routine in my 2mm, 6 wrap, 28g, 0.97Ω, spaced, Kanthal coil set at 8 Whopping Watts, but, when I thinned the tails I thinned a little bit too much (not at all used to working with Rayon anymore). I have to be careful as It wants to gurgle a bit now towards the bottom half of the tank (the tall Tank). I'll get the next round of wicking better though. Why I posted, is to say that with using Rayon this time in my Berserker I am of the opinion that it tastes "The Same" as my Siren V1 does using KGD wicking, and my Siren is the most flavorful RTA that I have. So now I have (2) Winners to vape with. I shoulda tried Rayon sooner in this Berserker. Oh Well, just thought I'd share my findings.

Maybe I'll try Rayon in my CV Hussar next.;)

Last edited:

soulseek

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2013
London, UK
Spaced coils are the only way right now for reliable TC and TC is the future, as it is the only thing that ensures vaping is safe. Open systems, claptons, cloud chasing, is either going away or will be discouraged.

And yes TC works perfect if you do it right; good board (DNA), good 510 contact, reliable atomiser with steady resistance.

Reactions: stols001

ToolmanTexas

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 14, 2014
T for Texas!
Spaced coils are the only way right now for reliable TC and TC is the future, as it is the only thing that ensures vaping is safe.
TC definitely doesn't ensure that vaping is safe. It does ensure no dry hits.

The rest, at this stage, is still very debatable and much of the input is driven from marketing and not science. Still a ton TBD and the technology needs to get much more solid and much more objective research done.

soulseek

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2013
London, UK
TC definitely doesn't ensure that vaping is safe. It does ensure no dry hits.

The rest, at this stage, is still very debatable and much of the input is driven from marketing and not science. Still a ton TBD and the technology needs to get much more solid and much more objective research done.

Safer is what I meant. There's published data and ongoing investigations of how VG and PG produce significant amounts of aldehydes above 240C and I'm pretty sure a lot of those cloud chasing/dual clapton vapers reach at least 250C, regardless of the vast amount of airflow.

So yeah, TC I think will be pretty important. It just sucks that manufacturers weren't responsible enough and cheapened out on the boards and the 510s, which resulted in inconsistent experiences and people abandoning TC.

Flavourings is probably the next most important factor. For example, they recently found out that compoundss found in cinnamon and clove flavourings can affect heart tissue.

soulseek

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2013
London, UK
You have to see this video about cotton wicking... He suggests making your cotton tight in the coil.
Interesting...

Very interesting series of videos, you should watch all 4. Thank you to the guy for going through the work so that we don't have to :D

Interestingly, I expected this to be fine for an RDA but RTA's are a bit different. However, I rewicked my Berserker with tightly packed cotton and it's working great so far. I'm gonna get out my Siren and try it there as I expect even better results there.

ToolmanTexas

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 14, 2014
T for Texas!
Safer is what I meant. There's published data and ongoing investigations of how VG and PG produce significant amounts of aldehydes above 240C and I'm pretty sure a lot of those cloud chasing/dual clapton vapers reach at least 250C, regardless of the vast amount of airflow.

So yeah, TC I think will be pretty important. It just sucks that manufacturers weren't responsible enough and cheapened out on the boards and the 510s, which resulted in inconsistent experiences and people abandoning TC.
Yeah, sorry if that came off a bit jerkish. I've read that ginormous thread with the studies and data and that is why I have a healthy dose of skepticism about the issue, especially in this industry where so much is driven by marketing, fear and very little solid, objective science. I'm a huge supporter of safety but don't see much of the objective science yet to get us there but I believe it will come.

Flavourings is probably the next most important factor. For example, they recently found out that compounds found in cinnamon and clove flavourings can affect heart tissue.
No doubt flavorings are one of the big unknowns. I want the data, objectively studied, but I also want the liberty to then make my own decisions. That is often tougher to achieve with the nanny state and marketers wanting to sell you their goodies.

ToolmanTexas

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 14, 2014
T for Texas!
@toolman - the upside down hack works IF you add another step. Once you flip it and tighten, keep it upside down for about 30 secs to a minute, That will give it time to pressurize. Some tanks seem to take a bit longer to achieve pressure than others, and the Berserker is one of them. I have done this with a few tanks in the past, and it works perfect on the Berserker. Zero flood or gurgle.
Yeah, I always leave upside down for 10 seconds on any vacuum tank that I use the method on but I'll go longer on the Berserker if it requires more time. Great tip, thank you!

52anddone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Hey Soul Man, you forgot one Power Supply in your list, The HΩ Tech Devices, they can TC/TL Kanthal wire and do the same as those expensive DNA Boards will do Ti, Ni, Ni200, SS and the rest. Just sayin'. :thumbs: I TC/TL Kanthal in my G2 every day and love it.

I once (quite a while ago) did a test myself and wrapped a Contact coil and a Spaced coil set to near identical Ω's using 28g Kanthal @ 1.3x, in two of the same atomizers, both were freshly cleaned Lemo V1's, using the same juice mix, set to the same wattage in Power Mode, and wicked the same using KGD and two Sigelei mini 30 Devices, so everything was as close to the same as I could get. I took a hit first from one, then the other, and kept going (it took a while, I'm not a big vaper, only about 3.8 - 4ml per day). I have it wrote down in my notes that the Spaced coil started giving me a cleaner taste faster than the Contact coil, and after both coils were fully broke in I got noticeably better flavor from the Spaced coil than the Contact coil, plus I noticed that the Spaced coil lasted longer before I had to do a Dry Burn to clean Off the crud accumulated since the initial install. A Contact coil is easier to install and work with for sure, especially if you really pack in the wicking where a Spaced coil can get All bent out of shape. So a Spaced coil is more of a pain in the "Hind End" in that regard, but gives me more actual vaping pleasure than a Contact coil does. That's just my experience with the two.

I don't know if TC/TL is the future, but it should be. Especially for a New Vaper, TC/TL is still complicated compared to straight up Power Mode, where all you have to do is set your Wattage and hit the Fire Button/Fire Bar. You don't have to know what wire your using as long as it's Kanthal, because the Device will automatically dump you into Power Mode, But in TC/TL you have to choose which wire in a sometimes confusing menu system, and you don't have to go into, and learn, TCR's if the pre-set is off in the Device your using and isn't giving you a decent vape and lighting the coil properly, or have to learn about the pro's and con's of using Nickle wire, or not to glow a Ti wire coil (if your one that wants to build right off the bat after getting into vaping) as some do (I went into rebuilding 2 weeks after my first vape). TC is still too complicated for the New Vaper right now, unless he or she has someone right there with them as a tutor to help them thru all the pit falls of TC vaping. That's how I see it and is only my opinion. Also, most of the women that I see here prefer Power mode because all they want to do is Vape, not fiddle with stuff to get it going. I know that my wife looks at things as either "it works or it don't work, and if it don't work then get me something that does work", simple as that, and TC/TL isn't there yet. TC/TL just has to be made simpler for all to use, one shouldn't have to be a Techno Geek to use TC/TL. The stuff we have learned about TC/TL is like a Foreign Language to a new vaper and might be seen as too complicated, remember that they are coming from "open a pack, put (1) cigarette in mouth and light it". BTW, I didn't go into TC/TL until the HΩ Tech devices came along and proved themselves trustworthy enough to me, as I already had a whole plastic tote full of Kanthal wire and didn't want to add even more wire to it.

Oh, I knew you meant Safer also.

soulseek

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2013
London, UK
Sorry bud but that is really not true. Fort Ni200 and maybe Ti but for NiFe alloys and SS, contact coils work perfectly well!!!

I only consider SS safe for use other than Ti.

Furthermore, you really need to get those contact coils glowing before you can use them for TC. The problem is you're not only oxidising a thing film around the surface of the wire when you're glowing them like that. You're altering the structure of the entire metal/alloy and I'm just not comfortable doing that unless proven that it's safe.

• Useful

capthook

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2015
North Carolina
Interesting...

Very interesting series of videos, you should watch all 4. Thank you to the guy for going through the work so that we don't have to :D.

ECF thread from the author here:
Wick experiment

And PBusardos' vid:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread