The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Vapcell has changed what cell they use for their 10A 1100mAh 18350, without a wrap change

Discussion in 'Batteries and Chargers' started by Mooch, Nov 20, 2018.

Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Mooch

Mooch Electron Wrangler Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 13, 2015
    It has been removed from both of my Recommended Batteries tables and its ratings removed from the 18350 ratings table.

2F483115-FCEF-4D00-9A46-B5EB33B1AE6F.jpeg

I purchased four of these Vapcell’s, verified their authenticity, and did a quick check. They perform a lot worse than the last time I tested them. I do not know this cell’s ratings and I will not be retesting it. I am tired of chasing crap like this down all the time.

0D071F2B-43F7-4481-838C-608920AAE604.jpeg

The new cell can be identified by its smaller raised portion at the bottom (versus the older cell I tested). The newer cell also has two small weld points on top (under the top insulating ring) and a slightly larger gap between the top crimped portion and the body of the metal can.

Please do not send me pictures of your Vapcell 18350’s asking which version they are. Compare yours to my photos. If you are unsure then assume they are the new version. You can then speak to your vendor or Vapcell.

I want to give Mike Kim a huge shoutout and Thank You for alerting me to this cell change!

• Like Like x 6
    • Informative Informative x 6
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. somdcomputerguy

somdcomputerguy vaper dedicato Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Dec 3, 2014
    Rupert, West Virginia
    Thanks for all you do for us Mad Dog Mooch, and thanks Mike Kim for helpin the helper.

• Like Like x 4
  3. sonicbomb

sonicbomb Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 17, 2015
    1187 Hunterwasser
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 4
  4. Barkuti

Barkuti Super Member ECF Veteran

Did you capacity tested the newer cell, Mooch? It likely is it will perform quite close, capacity wise, at a slow pace (0.25/0.5/1A) which is what standard folks can home test with analyzing chargers.
    Thanks.

Cheers :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mooch

Mooch Electron Wrangler Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 13, 2015
    No. It wasn’t worth it as they are easier to spot visually and I wasn’t going to waste any more time on them. If they tested close in nominal capacity the results wouldn’t be of much use anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Robin Becker

Robin Becker Senior Member

Feb 3, 2018
    Berlin
    Wow, thanks Mooch. I recommend a new technical term for that. From now on lets talk about battery polygamy as soon as a company just switch between batteries without telling any one :D

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  7. Violetti Usva

Violetti Usva Senior Member ECF Veteran

Dec 1, 2017
    When I hear battery polygamy I think of having a set of x batteries used in a regulated device without keeping them in married pairs. Plus I feel like polygamy doesn't necessarily have the negative connotations the situation deserves. I would recommend "battery castration"

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Robin Becker

Feb 3, 2018
    Berlin
    It is true...I never used the definition "married" batteries for the same batteries that are used together in the same device, because I have only mods with a place for one battery :D
    We can call it also Battery opportunism

• Like Like x 1
  9. mimöschen

mimöschen Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jul 15, 2016
    I think an analogon from the financial sector fits very well. Just like toxic assets have lost in value massively, so that there's no market for them anymore, we should call these rewraps that have changed without notification toxic cells.:thumb:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Violetti Usva

Violetti Usva Senior Member ECF Veteran

Dec 1, 2017
    Toxic is the Oxford Dictionary Word of the Year 2018...so I guess that's rather fitting.

• Like Like x 1
  11. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    Why not call it what it is? Deliberate false advertising and theft works pretty darn well for me.

That and the term, "Deliberately and knowingly falsifying evidence and endangering vapers everywhere."

I mean, that's what it's gonna be called in the lawsuit, no need to confuse everyone with "toxic batteries." Batteries ARE toxic, that is why we don't eat them.

Anna

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Luka Boskovic

Luka Boskovic New Member

Nov 26, 2018
    Montenegro
    I did the capacity check on 4 of them. I was unlucky to order 4pcs for my flashlights, before reading this. I have tested the capacity after reading and the all go over 1100mAh rating. However, the Emisar D4 micro-flashlight draws a little bit more than 15A of power... the old version can supply that somehow, while this one falls apart on 15A and the flashlight drops output immediately. Money wasted.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. Barkuti

Barkuti Super Member ECF Veteran

The Emisar D4 is an unregulated flashlight, a mean MOSFET driver :rolleyes: driven flashlight LoL. Due to simplicity many folks love this concept, albeit I prefer properly regulated buck and/or boost engines.
    The amount of current it may be drawing from the newer version 18350s must be somewhat lower, this is because the only difference is the higher internal resistance cell being used. Of course this also means the driver input voltage drop is more steep, causing earlier stepdown. Well, you can thank God with the newer version of this cell your flashlight runs cooler. ROFL! :lol:

Cheers :)

• Like Like x 1
  14. Luka Boskovic

Luka Boskovic New Member

Nov 26, 2018
    Montenegro
    Exactly! The light does not step down when the new vapcell 18350 is chock-full (4,20V, or 4,18V idle), it works fine with the firs few bursts until the idle voltage drops down to around 4,05V, from then on, the turbo is significantly lower. The old 18350 vapcell does not have that problem.
    However, I've seen recently that there is a newer version of 18350 by Keeppower. One that is only 650mAh but they claim it's 15A constant current. It does not hurt to try, I will order it these days. Keep power rates their batteries decently.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Robin Becker

Feb 3, 2018
    Berlin