The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Vape Friendly Airlines

Discussion in 'Travel and E-Cig' started by RIAFlight25, Jul 30, 2009.

Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. RIAFlight25

RIAFlight25 Super Member ECF Veteran

Well I figured since we have a list of Vape friendly airports, why not create a list of airlines that are vape friendly as well?

Please post here the names of airlines that you have openly vaped on.

If you have received conflicting information from the flight crew (One crew says you can, another says you cant) Please post that here as well.

Safe travels everyone!

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. RIAFlight25

RIAFlight25 Super Member ECF Veteran

I have vaped openly on Aer Lingus, Air India, Kuwait Airways, United Airlines, and KLM Royal Dutch Airlines.

Please note that there were a few United flights I took where I was asked not to vape at all, and a few where I was asked to simply vape in the lav. I have found that the majority of the issues I had while flying United were on Trans Pacific and Trans Atlantic flights.

Safe Travels!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. zagleft1

zagleft1 Senior Member ECF Veteran

Aug 16, 2008
    I flew American Airlines recently and they actually have a paragraph in their inflight mag "rules" section that specifically prohibits the use of e-cigs onboard. (jerks...:D).

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. DonDaBoomVape

DonDaBoomVape Reviewer / Blogger ECF Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    South Florida
    I have a domestic US Airways roundtrip coming up in two weeks. Anyone have any experience vaping on their flights.

Also, although technically it's off-topic for this thread, any experience with their hub airport, Charlotte, NC? I'll be changing planes there both ways.

Thanks!

5. LoboTx

LoboTx Full Member

Jul 24, 2009
    I had a stopover in Charlotte last November (I think Nov, maybe earlier) on a transatlantic flight on USAir. Their biz lounge had a very nice, very large, very well ventilated smoking section - basically a huge bar with v. comfy lounge chairs. If the anti crowd hasn't shut it down I'm sure you can vape/smoke there. safe travels.

6. happily

happily Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 25, 2009
    anchorage, ak
    If you hold your vape...........you can vape anywhere without exhaling vapor..

• Like Like x 1
  7. SpaceCadet

SpaceCadet Super Member ECF Veteran

Jan 10, 2009
    Scotland
    Until you cough and it escapes everywhere, visible to all. Happened to me. Luckily only my boyfriend noticed - I think!

The only officially vape friendly airline I know of is Ryanair. Otherwise a horrid, mean airline, but I love them for selling and allowing the in-flight use of e-cigs.

8. bizzyb0t

bizzyb0t Super Member ECF Veteran

Mar 13, 2009
    Denver CO, USA
    I vaped openly on Denver-based Frontier Airlines, both ways from Denver to Las Vegas and back again. I vaped by the gate in both cities as well. I asked the gate stewards and they said that e-cigs are allowed because they don't cause anyone a major disturbance.

On the flight, I got lots of questions but no one was mad at me :D

It felt great.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  9. testerjtester

testerjtester Senior Member ECF Veteran

Mar 13, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    Not the answer I was hoping for with an American flight to Chicago coming up next week, but thanks for posting this... at least now I know.

Great idea for a thread, RIA!

Tim

10. NCChief

NCChief Senior Member ECF Veteran

Aug 6, 2009
    Western NC
    Great.. I have a transatlantic flight coming up on American. Just great. :(

11. Bee

Bee Full Member ECF Veteran

Apr 24, 2009
    Corona, Ca
    I have a flight next month on United skywest. I am happy to see that it is allowed sometimes so I will ask first. I keep my e-juice in a small 3 mil bottle and have it hanging on my keys in a metal pill container. Is this going to be ok? Does the x-ray machine hurt any batteries or attys?

[​IMG]

12. chief druid

chief druid Super Member ECF Veteran

Mar 4, 2009
    north wales U.K.
    too lazy to read entire thread .. and i'm in greece on an pay as you go poota in greece so i'll be brief ..... flew over with thomson and it specifically states in their brochure that your not to use electronic cigarettes .... but the janty stick hides so well in my fist it was so easy to hide it hahahahaha 4 hgour flight and it was the first since getting an e cig ... easiest and most relaxed flight i've ever had ... waaaa

13. justaguy0

justaguy0 Full Member

Aug 12, 2009
    I take it there would be no issue vaping on an American Airlines flight if you got up and used the bathroom. Those smoke detectors, as far as I know, are just for smoke. They're not going to go off for "vape." Any issue there?

14. Martin2277

Martin2277 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 28, 2009
    Tempe, AZ
    A smoke detector is only a device that measures the about of particulates in the air. Smoke has dark heavy particulates that will set off the detector and cause an alarm. Vapor is just mist and will most likely not cause the detector to detect anything. I would not recommend blowing your vapor directly at the smoke detector but it should not be able to see the vapor. You can always test on you home smoke detector. I would warn everyone about one thing, we have used FOG machines in gymnasiums to test smoke detectors in the past but the about of FOG needed was much more then our PV's produce.
    I have been in the Fire Alarm businesses for about 14 years but I have never seen the specks on the airline smoke detectors.

mm

• Like Like x 2
  15. 13ways

13ways Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jun 27, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    I remember reading someone say they blew directly into the smoke detector on a flight and it went off. I dont know how true that is, not to call the person a lier, and I dont remember if it was just someone else saying they read it but just in case I wouldnt blow it directly into the smoke detector. Discretion is key when it comes to vapes on a plane. Last thing you want is Samuel L. Jackson yelling "I'm tired of these mother f'ing vapes on this mother f'ing plane." sorry I couldnt help myself.

• Like Like x 1
  16. gooney0

gooney0 Unregistered Supplier ECF Veteran

Sep 25, 2009
    Falls Church, VA
    I just tried to set off the smoke detector in my house but couldn't.

Oddly enough it does go off when I open the bathroom door after a shower.

-Gooney0

17. ECS-Mike

ECS-Mike Unregistered Supplier ECF Veteran

Oct 1, 2009
    Florida
    I had a couple customers ask me about vaping on airplanes and it would seem to me that what is going to freak out a flight attendant or more importantly, the people who are checking you before you get on the plane is going to be finding a small electronic device.

It LOOKS like something kind of devious to someone who is looking for devious things.

18. eric

eric Forum Supplier ECF Veteran

KLM Royal Dutch, Air France, and Northwest Airlines all allow vaping.

19. The Wiz

The Wiz ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Feb 14, 2009
    Whiskeyville USA
    Wow...That is great news..I am flying Northwest next week. Also has anyone had any issues with taking a device like the Prodigy packed in their check in luggage? Just wondering what it looks like when scanned....sorry I am not a frequent flyer!!:)The Wiz!

20. Giantfan

Giantfan Senior Member ECF Veteran

Sep 30, 2009
    Even if it is allowed, I don't want to draw attention to myself and make things complicated, so I would likely just go to the bathroom every one in awhile and vape for a few minutes. Unless it is 100% completely accepted and allowed, I'd rather save myself the trouble.