Vape good but then burnt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrek0016

May 14, 2018
i use a smok procolor with the standard coil in place and the riot squad pink grenade liquid in it and I’ve heard the sweetener can gunk up and make the coil tastes burnt so when it happened I cleaned it out with water and stuck some tissue through it and then it was fine. However, after 6-8 puffs the burnt taste starts coming back and I have to blow through the mouthpiece and out the air exhausts and it tastes fine again for another 6-8 puffs but I have to do that every time and that’s just a hassle. Any suggestions?

Reactions: stols001

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I'm going to assume that you're relatively new to vaping. What you are describing probably are "dry hits". This can happen if you haven't properly "primed" your new coil or allowed it to "break in". You could also be vaping faster than the wick can refresh itself itself with more e-liquid, called "chain vaping".

The following tutorial is for a different tank, but the principles shown are appropriate for any kind of tank.

You should be using slow gentle draws, and not short hard draws when you vape.

If the dry hits continue after doing all of the above, try this. As you vape, do a slow count to three. On counts one and three, press the fire button while taking your draw. Continuing to suck on count two allows the suction to refresh the wick with e-liquid.

You can also try "primer puffs" while vaping. Suck on the tank without pressing the fire button. The sucking action refreshes the wick with juice.

Once a coil or wick is burnt, there is no saving it. You have to restart the process over again.

Last edited:

EverythingEvil

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2014
Grand Junction, Co
I think it was with smok baby beast coils that I saw something about poking a hole in the cotton on the coils to allow thicker juices to reach the coil more easily. I'm not sure if this would work in your case or not, choosing a thinner juice might also help or also possibly turning down the power on your device if you have that option. It sounds like you are vaporizing your liquid faster than it can wick. Either way replacing the coil is something I would recommend as well, its likely that the coil is fouled by now if this has happened multiple times already.

Budgie

ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2018
Scotland
B9DD2D0B-2012-444B-A662-2D665506E636.jpeg

This is my Smok coil after 3 days of using a thick dark juice, the flavour starts getting muted with the slightest of burnt taste. I plonk the coil in boiling water overnight, leave it in the sun to dry while I use the replacement coil until it gets like the picture, then repeat the process. The coils after washing and drying perform like new.

• Creative

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
i use a smok procolor with the standard coil in place and the riot squad pink grenade liquid in it and I’ve heard the sweetener can gunk up and make the coil tastes burnt so when it happened I cleaned it out with water and stuck some tissue through it and then it was fine. However, after 6-8 puffs the burnt taste starts coming back and I have to blow through the mouthpiece and out the air exhausts and it tastes fine again for another 6-8 puffs but I have to do that every time and that’s just a hassle. Any suggestions?
Welcome and glad you joined.
If all other solutions fail,might like to read:
r/electronic_cigarette - Resistance is futile. Ohms are not king. Wattage is.
http://diyordievaping.com/2016/02/26/why-is-my-ejuice-harsh-beginner-diy-ejuice-tips/
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/blog-entry/wattage-vs-flavor.7252/
How many watts do you vape at?
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/f...educe-that-peppery-harsh-nicotine-taste.6955/
7 Easy Ways To Stop Your Coil From Burning - Ashtray Blog
Vape Tastes Burnt? Main Reasons and How to Avert That

• Useful

Coils&clouds

Apr 1, 2018
Sacramento CA
View attachment 742273
This is my Smok coil after 3 days of using a thick dark juice, the flavour starts getting muted with the slightest of burnt taste. I plonk the coil in boiling water overnight, leave it in the sun to dry while I use the replacement coil until it gets like the picture, then repeat the process. The coils after washing and drying perform like new.
Holy gunk man ! Lol

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Man, that has to be SOME juice, either that or you are chainvaping from morning to night. I've revived coils before, but never more than once, and if you love that juice, SAVE it for a rebuildable tank, where you can just dry burn and switch out the wicking.

You've gotten good advice re: dealing with your coils, some juices are just known coil killers. Smok coils are not really known for their longevity in any case, so you sort of have a bad situation going on.

Since switching to rebuildables (and I do still use some drop in coils) I don't even revive my drop inns ONE time anymore, it's a lot of hassle for a coil that I found for the most part, would die on me unpredictably, and usually annoyingly, like right after I filled the tank.

If you need a sub0hm tank with better longevity, you might try a Uwell Crown they have a good reputation for coil life, although I'm not really sure how long they would last even.

Turning down wattage (if feasible) opening airflow, and not chain vaping will help coil life. If you don't have a backup vape, perhaps now is time to acquire one? I have found that with more setups, and I spread my "chain vaping" across them, has vastly improved my coil life. Maybe higher PG or even 10% DW might help that juice. Etc.

Anna

Budgie

ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2018
Scotland
Man, that has to be SOME juice, either that or you are chainvaping from morning to night. I've revived coils before, but never more than once, and if you love that juice, SAVE it for a rebuildable tank, where you can just dry burn and switch out the wicking.

You've gotten good advice re: dealing with your coils, some juices are just known coil killers. Smok coils are not really known for their longevity in any case, so you sort of have a bad situation going on.

Since switching to rebuildables (and I do still use some drop in coils) I don't even revive my drop inns ONE time anymore, it's a lot of hassle for a coil that I found for the most part, would die on me unpredictably, and usually annoyingly, like right after I filled the tank.

If you need a sub0hm tank with better longevity, you might try a Uwell Crown they have a good reputation for coil life, although I'm not really sure how long they would last even.

Turning down wattage (if feasible) opening airflow, and not chain vaping will help coil life. If you don't have a backup vape, perhaps now is time to acquire one? I have found that with more setups, and I spread my "chain vaping" across them, has vastly improved my coil life. Maybe higher PG or even 10% DW might help that juice. Etc.

Anna
I've used this juice in a couple of different rebuildables, and it just demolishes the wick, and the coil is unrecognizable after a couple of days. I find it easier and quicker to use drop in coils with this juice, when it's gone, there will be no more, as much as I like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread