Vape in Public

Status
Not open for further replies.

Petrodus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Midwest
I openly vape (I'm in the UK) but sometimes I just really want to avoid all those questions you always get...
"What's that thing?"
"What does that do?"
"Why don't you just smoke?"
"So now you're addicted to THAT?"

It gets tiresome sometimes.
When I'm vaping in public, I don't act any different than if I were just chewing gum.

Just a suggestion
Don't look around wondering if anyone is looking at you.
Don't make eye contact...They're strangers and not friends.

If I want people to talk to me ...
I'll blow a few clouds and look at them ... making eye contact
Making eye contact is a form of communication ... Say's HI
I'm available for conversation.

IF ya notice some out of the side of our eye
and don't want conversation ... turn your back to them.

I've found few will walk up to a stranger who has their back to them
and tap them on the shoulder to strike up a conversation.

The above works extremely well for me
:p

Edit:
I rarely ever even notice people looking at me
and I've never had conversations with anyone
in public that I didn't make eye contact with.
No one has ever walked up to me and tapped me
on the back to start a conversation.

If I want conversation with a smoker (for example)
I'll blow a cloud and then make eye contact and smile
inviting them to initiate the "verbal" conversation.
:)

Last edited:

Yinzer

ECF Veteran
Dec 6, 2011
Pittsburgh
I openly vape (I'm in the UK) but sometimes I just really want to avoid all those questions you always get...
"What's that thing?"
"What does that do?"
"Why don't you just smoke?"
"So now you're addicted to THAT?"

It gets tiresome sometimes.

I get the final question a lot. And I proudly answer yes...yes I'm thoroughly addicted to nicotine. And caffeine. I very much enjoy those chemicals.

However, unlike some other substances ending in -ine, they don't make me dangerously anti-social :lol:

StereoDreamer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 13, 2012
Columbia MD
When I'm vaping in public, I don't act any different than if I were just chewing gum.

Pretty good advice, when you are doing ANY activity in public that some may find controversial, offensive or just want to get all self-righteous and in-your-face about, ESPECIALLY when that activity is 100% legal, lawful, and safe.

IF ya notice some out of the side of our eye
and don't want conversation ... turn your back to them.

Dude, I live in urban MD, halfway between Baltimore and DC. I never turn my back on ANYONE intentionally, ESPECIALLY people who I don't want to have interactions with.

Apparently, you have never taken a self-defense course, or had any serious training in "situational awareness". Turn your back on someone who you don't want to deal with? Hells to the no--I want to keep THOSE ones DIRECTLY in my line-of-sight... ;-)

TCasualties

ECF Veteran
Nov 29, 2012
Schaumburg, IL
I always vape in public, I make sure that people see me because I love the reactions. I've converted 6 smokers to full time Ego user's so far, and that's only people I know personally. When people come up to me to ask what the hell it is that i'm smoking, i'll show it to them and give them the address to cignot along with a list of online vendors.

Petrodus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Midwest
Pretty good advice, when you are doing ANY activity in public that some may find controversial, offensive or just want to get all self-righteous and in-your-face about, ESPECIALLY when that activity is 100% legal, lawful, and safe.

Dude, I live in urban MD, halfway between Baltimore and DC. I never turn my back on ANYONE intentionally, ESPECIALLY people who I don't want to have interactions with.

Apparently, you have never taken a self-defense course, or had any serious training in "situational awareness". Turn your back on someone who you don't want to deal with? Hells to the no--I want to keep THOSE ones DIRECTLY in my line-of-sight... ;-)
Dude ...
I survived Viet-Nam
:p

Last edited:

chloe2t

Nov 13, 2012
ocala,fl
I vape everywhere and never ask and no one says anything or looks at me strange or anything at all. I don't go out of my way to show people I am vaping or hide the fact that I'm vaping. I DO carefully avoid vaping in anyone's face or too much in any enclosed space, for my kids' sake (I am not convinced there is NO NICOTINE left in the vapor I exhale)

Luisa

ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2010
harlingen,texas
I vape everywhere and never ask and no one says anything or looks at me strange or anything at all. I don't go out of my way to show people I am vaping or hide the fact that I'm vaping. I DO carefully avoid vaping in anyone's face or too much in any enclosed space, for my kids' sake (I am not convinced there is NO NICOTINE left in the vapor I exhale)
To quote Elaine--you would have to lip lock with someone and blow the vapor in their mouth for them to get any nicotine!

RoseB

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 3, 2012
Washington
There are not very many people vaping in this area. I use mine all the time. My husband still chews. The plus side is I have an excuse to use my e cig in smoke shops and gas stations. Answering questions from owners,cashiers, and customers. Just lastnight a cashier asked to take a picture of my inferno.Anything I can do without coming on too strong. At first I thought it would be uncomfy, but no. Used to chew in public and that didn't even shame after about a month. The plus side is cigarettes cost so much money, and smoking is banned just about every where here. So there is a suprising amount of people who actually want to know more. Don't be ashamed or embarassed vaping in public might just save someone from cigarettes. You never know.

purelyscientific

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 8, 2012
NewYork
The rough draft plan
1. Pick a large city (to insure a large e-smoking population)
2. Make some calls in that area asking bars, clubs, restaurants,
any eateries or fun places where people congregate ....
Asking if they would officially welcome vapers ...
In return we would network ALL e-cigarette forms and spread
the news ... "If you live in or near (fill in the blank) or plan on
visiting there ... Vapers are Welcome at (Fill in the Blank)

All the establishments need to do is Officially welcome us
and we will do a major Internet networking advertisement
campaign for them ABSOLUTELY FREE

Maybe we could say something like "Hi Mr./Mrs. so and so, I'm from the ECF public awareness committee. I'd like to talk to you for a second about what we have to offer. We are willing to advertise your company online for free.
Don't hang up, this isn't a scam.
All you need to do is put up a sign letting the public know that vapers are welcome in your bar/club/resturant.
We will then put out the word that you have announced your support for vaping.

Before you say no, let me tell you why this would be benificial to both you and the vaping community.
Electronic cigarettes produce no second hand smoke, are safe to us around pets and children, smell good, and are completely legal to use in public. Their are over 2 million vapers already and with big tobacco getting into the e-cigarette business their are sure to be a big influx of new vapers in the future.
Putting up the sign would be akin to bumblebee saying its tuna is dolphin safe; It would let people know that you have gone the extra step to do the right thing. This will gaurentee you more business.
Even if you don't get more business, what do you have to lose? :)"

I'm not very god at writing before my morning coffee^
If anyone wants to add to that or change it around, once we get a final copy I'd be willing to call a few places. :)

Last edited:

RooksGambit

ECF Veteran
Aug 13, 2009
Lexington, Kentucky
Whew... long time since I've posted.

I remember a thread a couple years back that was advocating that we not vape openly. I made many arguments against that tactic in that thread. I'm glad to see the general consensus on ECF has changed. I have never hidden my vaping. So much so, that most of the restaurants and bars in town are well aware of what vaping is and it is allowed. Even on the University of Kentucky's campus, where e-cigs are actually banned. I actually see vapers in the wild around here. At least a couple of times a week. I like to think I played a part in that.

So, yes. Vape openly, and only put your device away if management asks you, because it is certainly easier to ask forgiveness than permission. And the vast majority of the time, management doesn't have a problem with it.

Vape on, folks. Vape the eff on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread