Vape Limbo- FDA, Stocked up, and waiting.............

Status
Not open for further replies.

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2011
Somewhere out there
I feel like I am in Vape Land Limbo, I scurried around and stocked up, still looking at sales etc but basically done, waiting for some more vape mail. Now just waiting for the next shoe to drop in states and by Feds. This is madness what we have to go thru, I actually dread 8-8 and it is my birthday that day! There is so little news or updates it is hard to know what is actually happening legally with all these deeming regs and even the states. Then I wonder should I go for some fav juice that comes from Indiana before they get shut down on juice or just cold turkey my juice favs now and enjoy my DIY. This is so crazy, all these decisions & deadlines I don't really want to deal with anymore. Anyone else there too? It feels like a bad dream, can I wake up now? :)

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Well an early Happy Birthday! Maybe save one last mod you're planning to stash away to unwrap that day. No one can really be certain what will happen on 8/8 (OK, yes, I read the rules too, but who knows how the enforcement process will be implemented) and prepping is still a good idea.

I actually think the most disruptive time will be around the first 90 day period after 8/8 while everyone gets their labeling and age verification acts together. After that, I believe most of what we currently buy/use will be available with a few extra hoops to jump through. It's the two year mark I'm concerned about. Yes, much can change in the next two years between litigation and legislation, but if things don't work out, that's when the whole market will collapse. I'm more concerned with prepping for that time than 8/8 (although extra juice is never a bad idea).

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2011
Somewhere out there
I've been Vapocalypse vaping for 2 years ... I've been ready for nothing to be available.

Lost Tobacco Taxes will be enforced ... open tank vaping is living on borrowed time.
I agree, open tank is really facing extinction, so glad I stocked up on those.

coolerat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2015
Verona,NY
I've been Vapocalypse vaping for 2 years ... I've been ready for nothing to be available.

Lost Tobacco Taxes will be enforced ... open tank vaping is living on borrowed time.

You seem to be one of the few up realize how important the term "open" is.

If any type of open systems remain after the ban then the ban is pointless.

Just one example of allowing open systems failing.

Juice is still sold in flavors in 30ml bottles but taxed. I so buy one bottle of 24mg taxed juice and cut it down to 6mg with VG. High nic juice has enough flavoring in it that even stepped on that many times it would taste good. Thats 2 weeks of vaping for me with only paying the tax once.

They ain't gonna allow that.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Juice is still sold in flavors in 30ml bottles but taxed. I so buy one bottle of 24mg taxed juice and cut it down to 6mg with VG. High nic juice has enough flavoring in it that even stepped on that many times it would taste good. Thats 2 weeks of vaping for me with only paying the tax once.

They ain't gonna allow that.

The corollary to that is you could buy a pack of tax stamped cigarettes and smoke it halfway, saving the second half for later. You're still paying the tax on the pack, but how quickly you go through it is dependent on your usage. Then again, as an ex pack and a half a day smoker, that would not have worked out well for me.

Reactions: bnrkwest

coolerat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2015
Verona,NY
The corollary to that is you could buy a pack of tax stamped cigarettes and smoke it halfway, saving the second half for later. You're still paying the tax on the pack, but how quickly you go through it is dependent on your usage. Then again, as an ex pack and a half a day smoker, that would not have worked out well for me.

My point is you allow open systems to survive and vaping will end up right back where it is now.

If they wanted what we have now they could have left it alone.

But they don't want what we have so they have to allow closed systems only.

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2011
Somewhere out there
Funny tho, that is how I cut down my smoking, I only allowed myself half a cig instead of a whole one, continued vaping and cut my smoking in half :) I finally gave the half cigs up and been vaping since!

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Clearly the regs as they exist will make it far easier for closed systems to obtain approval for marketing after the 2 year transition. However, so long as there's a glass bowl, a wire, some cotton, and a battery, "open" systems will exist. They will be off the radar, knowledgeable people will find ways to make do, and novices will keep blowing themselves up. I bet if you were to track battery related fires, damage, and injury, it will go up after the 2 year "real" ban goes into effect, not down, as folks are pushed to use stuff they either lack the knowledge of to use properly, or get it from friends who have no idea how to put stuff together either.

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2011
Somewhere out there
Clearly the regs as they exist will make it far easier for closed systems to obtain approval for marketing after the 2 year transition. However, so long as there's a glass bowl, a wire, some cotton, and a battery, "open" systems will exist. They will be off the radar, knowledgeable people will find ways to make do, and novices will keep blowing themselves up. I bet if you were to track battery related fires, damage, and injury, it will go up after the 2 year "real" ban goes into effect, not down, as folks are pushed to use stuff they either lack the knowledge of to use properly, or get it from friends who have no idea how to put stuff together either.
Yes and so many are getting mech mods, which I really prefer regulated mods, but understand the need for mech's for vaping dark ages.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Yes and so many are getting mech mods, which I really prefer regulated mods, but understand the need for mech's for vaping dark ages.

And regulated mods, which really are safer, will be unavailable, while converted flashlights become little pipe bombs in people's pockets. It's not even the people around here, the vast majority of whom do get the basics enough to try and use a mech mod correctly, or at least learn to. It's the novices who will no longer be able to pick up an iStick who will get some jury rigged mech and throw coils on without even checking the resistance. Never mind considering a safety cap on the fire button for when it's in your pocket or bag.

kross8

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2016
stuck in a squishy pod called my brain
I feel like I am in Vape Land Limbo, I scurried around and stocked up, still looking at sales etc but basically done, waiting for some more vape mail. Now just waiting for the next shoe to drop in states and by Feds. This is madness what we have to go thru, I actually dread 8-8 and it is my birthday that day! There is so little news or updates it is hard to know what is actually happening legally with all these deeming regs and even the states. Then I wonder should I go for some fav juice that comes from Indiana before they get shut down on juice or just cold turkey my juice favs now and enjoy my DIY. This is so crazy, all these decisions & deadlines I don't really want to deal with anymore. Anyone else there too? It feels like a bad dream, can I wake up now? :)
i prefer store/retail juice because they are stronger and most of my mixing sucks......that said, i have almost vaped all of my retail juice and having to vape my own............(its real hit and miss.....miss,, miss... lol,, )

i am planning on buying a gallon of nicotine here real soon,, right now my son is taking all of my money for his wedding (only child,, so yeah,, mom says the sky's the limit :) for him) at the expense of my vape stuff. meantime i am also trying to prepay all of my Myrtle Beach vacation. so this FDA is also a real pia,, and so uncalled for.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I started DIY regardless of regulations. It saves too much money to ignore and now I can't live without the control I get. I use just enough flavor to cover the taste of the other ingredients. Nothing fancy. I've settled on one atomizer, SV rda clone, $9 each. It's the only one I use and could just as well be the only one I ever use. My fatal weakness is regulated mods but they don't need to be expensive. I'm fine with the vtc minii and Picos. I feel bad for people who haven't started yet or aren't ready to stockpile. May be there will be lots of time, may be not.

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana

Funny thing. You start vaping as a way of quitting smoking, but vaping becomes a hobby / obsession. You start stockpiling as a way to make sure you can continue vaping, and stockpiling becomes a hobby / obsession.

Even when you've finished buying stuff, it's hard to stop thinking of yourself as a stockpiler. The next stage after stockpiling is living off your stockpile, but mentally you can't move onto that until the curtain actually falls. You're right, it's a kind of limbo.

Seriously, one day all the drama will be over and one way or another the vaping world will stabilize, and we will be able to just go back to vaping.

Yiana

Ultra Member
Nov 20, 2015
Planet Earth
Even though I've been vaping for three years, I didn't know how crazy it was going to get with the fda until I started lurking on here a year ago. Imagine all the people that don't know when the hammer drops on them.

I started diy in October after reading numerous threads in the diy subforum. I did alot of research so I would have it down by the deeming. Once I got my first bottle of nicotine and a few flavors I never bought premade again. It took me about a month before I made really good stuff. I started with good recipes, and I still use recipes, but I am now making my own and am happy with it. You kinda get a feel for it.

This whole mess with the fda is a nightmare. I wilk finish the rest of my nic stockpile the first week of July. I feel this is most important thing to get before August 8th. I figure hardware will still be somewhat available for a couple months.. I have four subtank minis and I am very happy with them. I have two zmaxs and a kbox mini and an old crappy istick50. I am going to get a couple of nemesis clones and hopefully grab two more zmaxs and I'll feel done. I don't have a lot of money so I have to do in increments.

This country is not the same one it was when I was growing up. And it's not just with fda deeming, I really think we are headed if not already half way to a fascist state.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread