Status
Not open for further replies.

ruet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
GR, MI
Vape-Related Deaths Are Scaring People Back into Smoking Cigs

Mark, a Massachusetts man who has worked at a vape shop for two years and requested anonymity for fear of losing business, said he had heard from many customers in recent days that they were making the transition—getting rid of nicotine-based e-cigarettes because of what they've been seeing in the media.

Although any shift was in the earliest of stages, it was still a remarkable concern for tobacco-control experts like Michael Siegel, a professor of community health sciences at Boston University, who views getting smokers off traditional cigarettes to be the primary public-health matter. Even now.

"There are two big fears here," Siegel said. "That former smokers are going to return to smoking cigarettes, because they'll think, Why not just have the real thing? And also that smokers who might have otherwise wanted to try e-cigarettes won't any longer."

What hast thou wrought?

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
Exactly that they wanted. These lung problems, that have nothing to do with the stuff we vape, were like mana from heaven for them. :-x

Oh yes, as Emanuel said, "Never let a serious crisis go to waste." While in reality this is not a serious crisis but it has been well said in another life by a very humble but also brilliant ECF legend (in his own mind), "If a situation is defined as real then it is real in its consequences".

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
They don't. They aren't real people or rather they are dead people, who have been resurrected by getting birth certificates of the early dead and their identities have been handed to paid actors.

That's my hope. I could be wrong. Because some people are just UNREDEEMABLY stupid. It's a hard fact to swallow but it is true.

Anna

Horselady154

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2013
United States
Or, it's people who bought their Juul from the local convenience store and their sole source of news is mass media. If all they know is what they hear on the news, they may feel like they are playing russian roulette with dying from lung damage. Put yourself in their position; it would be scary if all you knew was what was said in the media.

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
I don't use JUUL and never will. Too expensive and too much nicotine. But JUUL isn't the cause of the lung issues. These people bought blackmarket THC carts.

That said there are counterfeit JUUL carts out there. A local vape shop owner I know showed me a pack of counterfeit JUUL carts that someone brought in to complain about. They were close but the printing on the pack was different.

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
Or, it's people who bought their Juul from the local convenience store and their sole source of news is mass media. If all they know is what they hear on the news, they may feel like they are playing russian roulette with dying from lung damage. Put yourself in their position; it would be scary if all you knew was what was said in the media.

There is only one answer for those who only get their news from the media but those words cannot be used here not even under the newly revised ultra liberal rules.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I suppose it is theoretically possible to frighten a very uninformed person into returning to cigarettes. That person is probably the Juul user, yeah.

I have taken ONE puff off a Juul in my life, my son was using them briefly. I handed it back, said, "I don't know what's in that besides an INSANE concentration of nicotine, but I think it's SOMETHING. Whatever it is, it is TOO rich for MY blood."

I am convinced there is SOMETHING in there besides ultra high nic, I really am. It took my son a TON more effort to stop using his Juul than when he was a 3 mg/ml cloud chaser. He really had a super difficult time.

That is ONE reason I find proprietary prefilled pods offensive and would never buy one. There are others.

Anna

JohnWT

Jul 7, 2016
Not trying to toss in a conspiracy, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if the blackmarket crap was released in the wild by... "interested" parties

That's interesting, but the simpler explanation is that "bad" THC was infused into a vaping mod or pen, thus causing all these pulmonary problems. Case in point is the recent arrest in Wisconsin of group of people who laced THC at 157 times higher dosage than what was on the label.

It's no coincidence that, other than some mod explosions, virtually nobody got sick from vaping UNTIL THC got introduced into vaping.

jjcordone

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2011
Rhode Island
Not trying to toss in a conspiracy, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if the blackmarket crap was released in the wild by... "interested" parties

I have more of a Occam's razor opinion on what happened. Someone in the food chain of the illegal THC products, decided they could double their profits if they cut the THC oil. Vitamin E oil might be the same color or something and they may have thought, hey its a vitamin it won't hurt. It's not like they can do a recall of the tainted pods when they sell them into an illegal distribution network, so they wait have for the supply to run out.

Unfortunately, the reporters appeared to and still appear to, be after nothing by a shocking sound byte to get themselves noticed so they paint the story with a broad brush.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I am with @jjcordone up until this point. "They decided some Vitamin K wouldn't hurt."

Illegal drug cutters do not have this mentality. They do not think, "What will be the healthiest product to cut my product with?"

They think, "What looks right, works, and is easy to steal/inexpensive." And that is ALL, there is no "it's a vitamin so I'm sure it's fine" thought process, I'm sorry I have worked with many such persons and that thought process is nowhere to be found.

It's all about the short term bottom line. Although, perhaps if something kills of customers TOO quickly, they might consider amending stuff but most likely otherwise not.

Anna

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I don't use JUUL and never will. Too expensive and too much nicotine. But JUUL isn't the cause of the lung issues. These people bought blackmarket THC carts.

That said there are counterfeit JUUL carts out there. A local vape shop owner I know showed me a pack of counterfeit JUUL carts that someone brought in to complain about. They were close but the printing on the pack was different.

I wonder just what is in those fake pods, and whether the few cases of not admitting to vaping THC might turn out to be something funky in the supposed nic pods. Maybe whoever is turning out the fake Juuls also makes the tainted THC and just cross used ingredients for the sake of saving a few bucks.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
The reason for adding Vitamin E was to increase the viscosity of the oil as that's associated with "better quality" stuff. It seems the company that released and marketed it starting last spring has closed up and sorta disappeared. One mixer was interviewed (maybe it was that extensive Inverse article) as saying they stopped using it, but they thought, or were told, Vitamin E would have "healing properties" for the lungs. Are we finally allowed to type m-o-r-o-n-s under the new potty mouth filter? Because it really best fits these ....../idiots.

Edit: Nope, we still can't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread