Status
Not open for further replies.

kwalka

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2012
Clearwater, Florida
walkers-finest.com
Just want to update, I talked to John about a tube mod he sells called Indulgence, it takes one batt to use at 3.7, that is in compliance. With 2 stacked batts than can be used, this unit is not in compliance. I have asked if he will put some warning info about stacked batts since it is not in compliance with stacked.

But as a battery vendor he sells AW directly from the supplier. So that is good! bnrk

Hey,
Good morning. It just dawned on me since your contacting vendors, that I just ordered 2 14500 protected AW's from Super T Manufacturing. I believe I found them here on ECF, but I'm not positive. About 2 weeks ago, when I ordered a box mod that takes 2 14500 the vendor did not offer AW's, so I searched ECF for a reputable AW vendor. I ended up ordering them from STM, so they must of been listed as ok here. Also as a side note, there was 14500 protected and unprotected side by side, in a long, vertical list of batts. I knew 100% going in that I was getting protected and I almost bought the wrong ones as they were side by side. It would of been a simple oversight, and I certainly would of double checked upon arrival to make sure there was no accidental packaging error. The point is even someone very intune w proper batt needs could make a small oversight with the way the webpage is laid out. I didnt think to contact the site until I read your, very commendable, posts about contacting vendors. I would make contact myself, but I feel until we get together on the script your using, it should always be the same for all vendors.

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2011
Somewhere out there
Hey,
Good morning. It just dawned on me since your contacting vendors, that I just ordered 2 14500 protected AW's from Super T Manufacturing. I believe I found them here on ECF, but I'm not positive. About 2 weeks ago, when I ordered a box mod that takes 2 14500 the vendor did not offer AW's, so I searched ECF for a reputable AW vendor. I ended up ordering them from STM, so they must of been listed as ok here. Also as a side note, there was 14500 protected and unprotected side by side, in a long, vertical list of batts. I knew 100% going in that I was getting protected and I almost bought the wrong ones as they were side by side. It would of been a simple oversight, and I certainly would of double checked upon arrival to make sure there was no accidental packaging error. The point is even someone very intune w proper batt needs could make a small oversight with the way the webpage is laid out. I didnt think to contact the site until I read your, very commendable, posts about contacting vendors. I would make contact myself, but I feel until we get together on the script your using, it should always be the same for all vendors.

Good you saw that before you clicked on it! They should keep protected and non protected separate to be safe. You could also ask STM if they buy directly from AW, that is what High Desert does. bnrk

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2011
Somewhere out there
I went looking for manual info on the GLV super mini I have and I wanted to post this link to GLV- GLV Electronic Cigarettes : Electronic Cigarettes and E-Liquid - Great Lakes Vapor Jay has warnings all over his pages about never use unprotected batteries in his APV's. He is doing a great job by getting the word out to buyers. Also on his forum he has a post about it too. Good job Jay! Now if all vendors would do that buyers would know not to buy the wrong batteries :) bnrk

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2011
Somewhere out there
There are no absolutely safe batteries, but protected Li Ion rechargeable or safer chemistry AW IMR rechargeable batteries are what are recommended for use in APV's/tube mods/box mods. Do your homework and read about battery safety and safe handling of Li Ion rechargeable batteries. Use with care!

BuGlen

Divergent
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2012
Tampa, Florida
NEVER USE NON RECHARGEABLE LITHIUM BATTERIES IN ANY APV/TUBE MOD/BOX MOD !!!!!!!!!!! THEY CAN AND WILL EXPLODE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BE Safe not sorry!!!!!!!!!!!

bnrk :)

Big red letters with lots of exclamation points, that should get the point across. Now if you could just make it blink! :)

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2011
Somewhere out there
Chargers- For recharging your Li Ion protected or safer chemistry batteries. ALWAYS use the correct charger for your battery!!!!!!!!
Using the wrong charger could over charge your batteries and cause a meltdown or explosion!

For understanding what happens during charging read this: Charging Lithium-Ion BatteriesCharging Lithium-Ion Batteries

For safe charging protocol always put your charger in a safe location on a metal or concrete surface. Using a metal cake pan is a good option. Battery bags for charging are also a good idea. Always keep an eye on charging batteries, check for over warming of the charger and the batteries. If it is too warm or hot, unplug and take out the batteries if it is safe to do so. Do not handle smoking, venting or melting batteries!!! Your charger could be malfunctioning. Once the charge is complete unplug your charger and remove your batteries. Never charge unattended overnight. These batteries need special respect while charging, mishaps can happen while charging.

Batteries should not be overcharged!!! Let batteries rest once off the charger so they discharge a bit before use. Mishaps have been reported from using batteries fresh off the charger. Use a volt meter to test your batteries full rate of charge. It should only be 4.2 as a max reading for Li Ions, anything over that do not use it!!!! If you have a battery volt reader in your APV, you can check your batteries that way.

When using a newly charged battery after it rests, always do your first button push away from your face for safety. Many times mishaps happen on newly charged batteries when put in the PV device and the button is pushed the first time.

Be safe when charging and using freshly charged batteries :)
NEVER CHARGE NON RECHARGEABLE LITHIUM BATTERIES- THEY WILL EXPLODE!

Safety First!

Last edited:

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2011
Somewhere out there
Maybe the Forum could offer them or a promo item from one of the wonderful suppliers:

"Always Practice Safe Sux!"

Or...

"Always Use Protection!"

Safe vaping, my friends!

I like that idea of safe vaping T's, would be easy to set up at cafepress, not sure if that qualifies as a vendor tho. We could ask some vendors to about it tho. bnrk

BuGlen

Divergent
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2012
Tampa, Florida
Another story caught my eye in the threads today:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/media-general-news/289020-exploding-njoy.html

It looks like the claims made in the original news story are likely to false, but it does demonstrate how the media is ready to pounce on any negative information they can get. If it does/did turn out to be completely untrue, I have serious doubts that the news program has/will broadcast a retraction.

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2011
Somewhere out there
I also wanted to report some problems I am having with a new charger, it is getting too warm and today I smelled hot electrical smell while charging. The one charging bay gets way too warm. I tried the other side and now it is getting too warm so I am going to send it back. You just never know, even new units need to be watched! bnrk

kwalka

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2012
Clearwater, Florida
walkers-finest.com
I got a brand new APV kit, just under $200, and the charger was crap. It plugged directly into the wall, no way to put it in a bag. The vendor and I had a conversation the day the kit arrived, about another subject, and I mentioned how the charger seemed cheap. I was told they were looking into upgrading to a better version for all their kits. After 2 charge cycles there was something rattling around inside. I contacted the vendor and it was replaced with a nice XTAR WP2.

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2011
Somewhere out there
I got a brand new APV kit, just under $200, and the charger was crap. It plugged directly into the wall, no way to put it in a bag. The vendor and I had a conversation the day the kit arrived, about another subject, and I mentioned how the charger seemed cheap. I was told they were looking into upgrading to a better version for all their kits. After 2 charge cycles there was something rattling around inside. I contacted the vendor and it was replaced with a nice XTAR WP2.

Glad you got another one and it was a better model. My problem one is a Tenergy, so I need to send it back and at least get a new one to try. bnrk

BuGlen

Divergent
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2012
Tampa, Florida

Just touching base with you on the XTAR WP2 because I'll be looking for a backup to my Pila soon. Can you provide a brief review?

BuGlen

Divergent
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2012
Tampa, Florida
I also wanted to report some problems I am having with a new charger, it is getting too warm and today I smelled hot electrical smell while charging. The one charging bay gets way too warm. I tried the other side and now it is getting too warm so I am going to send it back. You just never know, even new units need to be watched! bnrk

Which charger is/was giving you the issues (make/model)? This could be good information for people reading this thread.

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2011
Somewhere out there
Which charger is/was giving you the issues (make/model)? This could be good information for people reading this thread.

It was a Tenergy for charging the AW IMR 18350 batts. It was new and got way too warm, discolored two batts on the end and I smelled burning/hot electrical, so I sent back both batts and the charger and the vendor is sending me new replacements. The charger did not have the size batt listed on the back I was using, but I asked the vendor if it was for charging that batt & they said yes, so I guess it was just a faulty charger. I need to find a back up charger for this APV units batts as well. I was wondering about the XTAR, not sure what size batts it works with tho. bnrk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread