Status
Not open for further replies.

kwalka

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2012
Clearwater, Florida
walkers-finest.com
Just touching base with you on the xtar WP2 because I'll be looking for a backup to my Pila soon. Can you provide a brief review?

I was using the TR-001 before I got the other cheap charger I mentioned earlier, and the xtar blows it away. This is, IMHO, a great charger. It charges 18650s in less than 1/2 the time as the tr001. I'm using and charging all diff combinations of batts simultaneously. I can have a 14500 in slot 1 and an 18650 in slot 2. The batts never get warm they are reading right at 4.18v consistently. I would highly recommend it.
Keep in mind I'm a self taught, moderatly experienced newbie with days and days of reading and asking questions of the experts. I guess thats not self taught;).

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2011
Somewhere out there
I was using the TR-001 before I got the other cheap charger I mentioned earlier, and the xtar blows it away. This is, IMHO, a great charger. It charges 18650s in less than 1/2 the time as the tr001. I'm using and charging all diff combinations of batts simultaneously. I can have a 14500 in slot 1 and an 18650 in slot 2. The batts never get warm they are reading right at 4.18v consistently. I would highly recommend it.
Keep in mind I'm a self taught, moderatly experienced newbie with days and days of reading and asking questions of the experts. I guess thats not self taught;).

Where did you buy it? Can it handle the AW IMR 18350 batts? bnrk

kwalka

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2012
Clearwater, Florida
walkers-finest.com
I cant post where I got it because it would speak negatively of the vendor who sent it to me as a replacement for a lower quality charger. They still include said charger in their kits. Give me a few and I will get u a link. I saw it for half price on a batt site. I just half to check a couple of invoices to track it down.

BuGlen

Divergent
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2012
Tampa, Florida
It was a Tenergy for charging the AW IMR 18350 batts. It was new and got way too warm, discolored two batts on the end and I smelled burning/hot electrical, so I sent back both batts and the charger and the vendor is sending me new replacements. The charger did not have the size batt listed on the back I was using, but I asked the vendor if it was for charging that batt & they said yes, so I guess it was just a faulty charger. I need to find a back up charger for this APV units batts as well. I was wondering about the XTAR, not sure what size batts it works with tho. bnrk

It's good that the vendor is attempting to make good on the faulty product. I would also check the manufacturer's web site to see if they have any additional information on the charger and the types of batteries it's designed for use with.

I was using the TR-001 before I got the other cheap charger I mentioned earlier, and the XTAR blows it away. This is, IMHO, a great charger. It charges 18650s in less than 1/2 the time as the tr001. I'm using and charging all diff combinations of batts simultaneously. I can have a 14500 in slot 1 and an 18650 in slot 2. The batts never get warm they are reading right at 4.18v consistently. I would highly recommend it.

These are getting great reviews from everyone who gets one, and I'm like you being new to much of this. I can tell you that the Pila is a solid charger and I like the piece of mind knowing that it has the protection features built in and a good reputation. I'll be getting the XTAR WP2 II at some point in the near future, so thanks for the review!

BuGlen

Divergent
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2012
Tampa, Florida

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
OMG! TLDR all! (my bad if this is duplicated). Just to note, one of the explosion threads had:
Here is another http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/battery-issues/273146-ego-t-battery-exploded.html

There is still another about burning up a laptop. bnrk

To answer the questions about the charger... no it isn't the one that came with the Ego. I figured they all charged at 5V since that's what USB power is. I thought the only real difference between chargers was the threading (for instance between a 510 and an RN4081).
(Bold added by me)

Also, the USB port vs AC adapter should be irrelevant for trickle charging an e-cig. Now, I still recommend a wall wart rather than risking/tying up a USB port. But, it's less that a 500ma draw. The 5v "direct" (no battery) PTs are a completely different story... they need a wall-wart with at least 2.0 amps, 3.0+ amps is better (and required if DCCs used).

Last edited:

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2011
Somewhere out there
OMG! TLDR all! (my bad if this is duplicated). Just to note, one of the explosion threads had:

(Bold added by me)

Also, the USB port vs AC adapter should be irrelevant for trickle charging an e-cig. Now, I still recommend a wall wart rather than risking/tying up a USB port. But, it's less that a 500ma draw. The 5v "direct" (no battery) PTs are a completely different story... they need a wall-wart with at least 2.0 amps, 3.0+ amps is better (and required if DCCs used).

I have an ego type passthru where the port is on the bottom, you take off the cap to attach then plug into usb port. I have been afraid to do this on my laptop because I don't want to fry it! But I keep it around as a back up but rarely use it. So what type of wall usb do I need? I have wall usb chargers for my 808's, also back ups. I don't use chargers on things other than what PV unit they came with, but not sure what to get for ego passthru and wall usb. Thanks! bnrk

kwalka

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2012
Clearwater, Florida
walkers-finest.com
Thanks for the link, it doesn't look like it handles 18350 size like i use in my Provari mini. bnrk

I just put one of my 18350 Trustfires in it. You just have to use 2 spacers. So if you wanted to charge 2 of the said batts at once you will need to purchase 2 extra spacers. They are like a buck each.

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2011
Somewhere out there
I just put one of my 18350 Trustfires in it. You just have to use 2 spacers. So if you wanted to charge 2 of the said batts at once you will need to purchase 2 extra spacers. They are like a buck each.

Is it safe for that size, rating, etc? I am just concerned about the output rate of charge and if it is compatible?? bnrk

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
I have an ego type passthru where the port is on the bottom, you take off the cap to attach then plug into usb port. I have been afraid to do this on my laptop because I don't want to fry it! But I keep it around as a back up but rarely use it. So what type of wall usb do I need? I have wall usb chargers for my 808's, also back ups. I don't use chargers on things other than what PV unit they came with, but not sure what to get for ego passthru and wall usb. Thanks! bnrk

I know MV sells some. Basically, you don't want the charger's requirements to exceed the USB adapter's output (but the adapter can be more). So, look at the charger cable. There should be fine print on it like input: 5v, XXXmA, output <whatever>. That input: is the draw from the wall adapter.

I'd recommend that you get at least a 2.0 amp one since you may want to use it for higher draw stuff too. 3.0 is even better.

Here's one possible link:
2 amp AC to USB Adapter
That's 2.0 amps. You have to do the math, or get whatever the vendor recommends. Also, make sure you use the same charger that came with the e-cig (put a sticky on the non-print side or on the cord that has the make/model on it).

BuGlen

Divergent
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2012
Tampa, Florida

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2011
Somewhere out there
I know MV sells some. Basically, you don't want the charger's requirements to exceed the USB adapter's output (but the adapter can be more). So, look at the charger cable. There should be fine print on it like input: 5v, XXXmA, output <whatever>. That input: is the draw from the wall adapter.

I'd recommend that you get at least a 2.0 amp one since you may want to use it for higher draw stuff too. 3.0 is even better.

2 amp AC to USB Adapter
That's 2.0 amps. You have to do the math, or get whatever the vendor recommends. Also, make sure you use the same charger that came with the e-cig (put a sticky on the non-print side or on the cord that has the make/model on it).

Thanks I will check it out! Good idea about marking the usb cords. I do have stickers on my chargers for what APV they are for but didn't think of marking the cords :) bnrk

kwalka

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2012
Clearwater, Florida
walkers-finest.com
Is it safe for that size, rating, etc? I am just concerned about the output rate of charge and if it is compatible?? bnrk

I can only go by the charger itself. The charger will go into standby mode if it detects anything wrong. I have had the batt on the charger since we first started this conversation and it is charging fine. If it was not compatible the charger would just go to standby mode. But I am not qualified to speak to the chemistry. Now if it was a diff type of chemistry then I would not even try it. Given that they are the same I have no problem w it. I think you know me well enough by now to know that I'm not going to take any chances when it comes to this stuff.

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2011
Somewhere out there
Here's a link to the manual (pdf):
http://www.szwholesale.com/xtar/brochures/WP2%20II-EN.pdf

It doesn't mention the 18350 style batteries, so I would have to assume it hasn't been tested with that particular battery type.

Thanks for finding that! I need to find the Tenergy model I am using for those batts, it does not list 18350 either but I asked Provape and they said it was the correct Tenergy model. (I did return it tho because it was not working right) Wish they would list all batts on the back of these things! bnrk

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Thanks I will check it out! Good idea about marking the usb cords. I do have stickers on my chargers for what APV they are for but didn't think of marking the cords :) bnrk

The charger is usually the cord..... (not the wall-wart A/C adapter!) What does the charger (usually a cord with a little box on it) say if anything? If it's just a USB cord (no box), don't bother unless you thing it's a non-standard cord. The charger may be built in to the e-cig (I don't remember off hand... and you'd have to give me a specific make/model).

Last edited:

kwalka

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2012
Clearwater, Florida
walkers-finest.com

2 amp AC to USB Adapter

This is the correct wall wart for the eGo passthru. I own and use this exact product. I have been using it for months. The site says under the photo "great for passthrus".

kwalka

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2012
Clearwater, Florida
walkers-finest.com
The charger is usually the cord..... (not the wall-wart A/C adapter!) What does the charger (usually a cord with a little box on it) say if anything? If it's just a USB cord (no box), don't bother unless you thing it's a non-standard cord. The charger may be built in to the e-cig (I don't remember off hand... and you'd have to give me a specific make/model).

FTR, Madvapes sells 2 diff "pigtails" I call them. One for regular 510 and one for eGo. The one for eGo is labeled 420mAh. They do not make a point to mention on the regular 510 listing that there is another one to be used w the eGo batts. I accidently got the wrong one the first time.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Yeah, He's using a PT tho (Just a USB cord for the PT bottom? Charger built into e-cig? Didn't say specific make/model.) The other charger cord is a good point tho... you have to match em up and check the #s!

Basically, check everything!!!!!! ... A/C -> USB adapter, charger cord, etc.
Some chargers are very specific to the e-cig. Some have reversed polarity. Many/most seem to have some "smarts" built into them.

It's a real PITA. I think as it evolves, standards will arise. We can only hope.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread