Status
Not open for further replies.

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2011
Somewhere out there
I just got green on the TF 18350 3.7v 1200mAh, after just over an hour. I put it on the meter it read 4.17v.

Ok cool! Thanks for checking that :) I was doing some research on chargers and it looks like as long a charger cuts off at 4.2 that charger will be ok for a 18350 size. The problem I see with IMR 18350 is they do not do well above 4.2 and do not do well when over drained, both over and under v will damage the battery. I do check them on my Provari for voltage off charger and when drained, so far I am under the 4.2, more like 4.1 off charger and drain cut off point is 3.3. So I am good. bnrk

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2011
Somewhere out there
I know MV sells some. Basically, you don't want the charger's requirements to exceed the USB adapter's output (but the adapter can be more). So, look at the charger cable. There should be fine print on it like input: 5v, XXXmA, output <whatever>. That input: is the draw from the wall adapter.

I'd recommend that you get at least a 2.0 amp one since you may want to use it for higher draw stuff too. 3.0 is even better.

Here's one possible link:
2 amp AC to USB Adapter
That's 2.0 amps. You have to do the math, or get whatever the vendor recommends. Also, make sure you use the same charger that came with the e-cig (put a sticky on the non-print side or on the cord that has the make/model on it).

I can't find where I bought this ego passthru, I do know it was like $19.99 but I can't remember what vendor, drat! Now writing on the USB cord anywhere so maybe it is a knock off. It has two usb connections, one for end of ego and one for usb port. I don't even know what mah the batt is. I will keep searching! lol bnrk

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
Yeah, the PT probably just has a regular USB cord (charger is built into the device). Basically, if the AC adapter puts out at least 500mA it's probably fine (Can be higher for the AC->USB. Unit will draw only what it needs. The other way where the unit draws more than the adapter provides is a problem).

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2011
Somewhere out there
Yeah, the PT probably just has a regular USB cord (charger is built into the device). Basically, if the AC adapter puts out at least 500mA it's probably fine (Can be higher for the AC->USB. Unit will draw only what it needs. The other way where the unit draws more than the adapter provides is a problem).

Oh I found it! Smok eGo 900mAh Pass-through battery - mini USB So it sounds like 900 mah battery, so what usb wall charger can I get for this? I want to be sure all my backups have what they need just incase :) Thanks! bnrk

BuGlen

Divergent
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2012
Tampa, Florida

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2011
Somewhere out there
Saw this thread linked from the Colorado incident thread and figured I'd link it here as well:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/ego-type-models/298656-ego-t-blew-up.html

I'm assuming that the number of eGo battery issues is in proportion to the number of eGo batteries being sold since they seem to be a very popular format, but I could be wrong.

Yes saw that too! Scarey. I was going to charge my ego passthru on the wall charger I just got to see how it works, but going to get a battery charging bag first, you can't be too careful! bnrk

BuGlen

Divergent
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2012
Tampa, Florida
It's been a while since this thread has seen any activity, so I figured I would just post an update on my XTAR WP2 II charger purchase. A while back, I was looking around for some protected (IC) batteries for my XL3 mod since it doesn't have any real built in protection. It's not mechanical, but the XL3 top switch doesn't have any of the advanced features. In any case, I'd been reading good things about the Panasonic 18650s, so I went on a search for the protected variety for my needs. By chance, I came across this vendor (Orbtronic) on Amazon who had the Panasonic 3100 mAh batteries wrapped with the Seiko protection circuit:

Amazon.com: 18650 Smart Li-ion Charger and Two 3100mAh PROTECTED Orbtronic (Panasonic NCR18650A cell inside) Lithium-Ion Rechargeable Batteries Kit (NEW Version): Electronics

Here's the protection specs on the batteries (found here):

Protection circuit will cut off at 8A (Over current protection), at 2.5V (Over discharge protection), and 4.35V (Over charge protection). Double short circuit protection, Overheat protection. Orbtronic 18650 Li-ion cell is very safe to operate with built in - INTERNAL, and EXTERNAL Protection.

I absolutely recommend this setup to anyone looking for both a charger and batteries to use in a mod with little or no built-in protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread