iGh1hmC.png

Vape Shop Owner Vows to Stay Open During COVID-19 Health Crisis

vaper1960

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    Quote from the CDC:
    "Cigarette smoking is responsible for more than 480,000 deaths per year in the United States, including more than 41,000 deaths resulting from secondhand smoke exposure. This is about one in five deaths annually, or 1,300 deaths every day. On average, smokers die 10 years earlier than nonsmokers."
    Here in CA, vape shops are closed but smoke shops are open :rolleyes:

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 15, 2013
    KY
    Quote from the CDC:
    "Cigarette smoking is responsible for more than 480,000 deaths per year in the United States, including more than 41,000 deaths resulting from secondhand smoke exposure. This is about one in five deaths annually, or 1,300 deaths every day. On average, smokers die 10 years earlier than nonsmokers."
    Here in CA, vape shops are closed but smoke shops are open :rolleyes:

That is nearly half a million deaths yet tobacco is legal. And how many have actually died from Covid-19? What is the latest projection from our vaunted "experts"? Tobacco legal but shut down the economy on a SWAG from a group never employed anywhere but government.
    I wonder if any of the economic pain is visited upon our "experts". Nope, their paychecks, from us, are still rolling in.

Last edited:

dennism

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 18, 2015
    Maryland
    To quote Moses "Let my people go". Give us all masks and let America open up. IMHO they have just about ruined the American way of life. People in hospice forced to die alone, nursing homes allow no visitors, which is all they have to look forward to. How much longer can we allow President oops Dr. Fauci to shut this country down? Hell he doesn't even follow his own social distancing rule.

Don29palms

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 12, 2014
    joshua tree, ca
    To quote Moses "Let my people go". Give us all masks and let America open up. IMHO they have just about ruined the American way of life. People in hospice forced to die alone, nursing homes allow no visitors, which is all they have to look forward to. How much longer can we allow President oops Dr. Fauci to shut this country down? Hell he doesn't even follow his own social distancing rule.
    You do understand there is no federal stay at home order. The fed makes it's recommendation and the states implement what the state wants. There are some states with no stay at home orders.

Since you're a medical professional what would your suggestion be?

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 15, 2013
    KY
    You do understand there is no federal stay at home order. The fed makes it's recommendation and the states implement what the state wants. There are some states with no stay at home orders.

He gave his recommendation, "Give us all masks and let America open up". I agree with that suggestion. Dr Fauchi doesn't want herd immunity so the health care system is not "over whelmed". It isn't over whelmed, it isn't even "whelmed" except in a few cities. Whole states need not suffer the same restrictions as does NYC or Detroit or Atlanta. Louisville, KY and my very rural part of KY are vastly different and should be treated differently.

dennism

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 18, 2015
    Maryland

You know that I'm not a medical professional, so kiss off.

440BB

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 19, 2011
    The Motor City
    The 245 people dead so far in my county probably wish we listened to the scientists and health professionals sooner. I can understand both the passion and self interest of a vape shop owner but his interests aren't as important as saving lives in the near term.

Correction: since I started this post, it's now 246.

Don29palms

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 12, 2014
    joshua tree, ca
    He gave his recommendation, "Give us all masks and let America open up". I agree with that suggestion. Dr Fauchi doesn't want herd immunity so the health care system is not "over whelmed". It isn't over whelmed, it isn't even "whelmed" except in a few cities. Whole states need not suffer the same restrictions as does NYC or Detroit or Atlanta. Louisville, KY and my very rural part of KY are vastly different and should be treated differently.
    You need to blame the governor's then. It is their decisions what to do in their states.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    What I’ve been waiting to see is shops removing their front door and replacing it with a protected walk up window. Solves most problems. When everything is over put the door back. GameStop tried the same thing. They’ve been in financial trouble hanging on waiting for the new game consoles to drop. It’s the companies that were really strained financially that are pulling stuff. There’s a small chain of resteraunts in my town that had all their money in a new location that was almost ready to open when the virus hit. The owner quietly closed all the stores without notifying the employees and skipped town with no final paychecks and all the waitresses tips.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    What I’ve been waiting to see is shops removing their front door and replacing it with a protected walk up window. Solves most problems. When everything is over put the door back. GameStop tried the same thing. They’ve been in financial trouble hanging on waiting for the new game consoles to drop. I

The problem with that idea is that it only addresses the the social distancing aspect of these lockdown orders.

But if the state also has a restriction on the products sold, then this solution won't work.

If this weren't the case, every retail store could stay open as long as they do curbside pickups or deliveries, but this isn't the case in most, if not all, states that have these lockdown orders. First and foremost, the product(s) you sell have to be deemed "necessary".

Reactions: Opinionated

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    The vape shop owner has a good point when pointing the finger at stores that only sell liquor or only sell liquor and cigarettes being deemed "necessary". But his argument falls short with convenience stores since they all sell necessities, like drinks and food in addition to non-necessities...so do grocery stores.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 8, 2010
    Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
    The 245 people dead so far in my county probably wish we listened to the scientists and health professionals sooner. I can understand both the passion and self interest of a vape shop owner but his interests aren't as important as saving lives in the near term.

Correction: since I started this post, it's now 246.
    Detroit area really sucks, and I feel sorry for you guys. My area took some of your patients.

That said, this guy is doing "take out" service.

I think they could simplify a lot of these executive orders if they allow any business to do "take out style" service with a card reader type of thing (no cash exchanges, despite it being legal tender, until this is over. I know, I know, but sheesh. Or exact change only.)

The problem is that many employers would require people to work when they shouldn't, when they're not essential. But in this guy's case, he's the shop owner, so...let him. But he shouldn't be allowed to mandate that his employees come in for something that is not considered necessary.

Here in MI, they closed the tobacco shops too. He's a vape shop. Similar.

All :2c:

But I don't have a problem with this specific example.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread