Status
Not open for further replies.

Javichu

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2020
Spain
It is scary to look at the future.
As of today the spanish PIB (GDP) will take atleast 1.5 to 2 years to get to the numbers we had before all this happened,and let me say that they werent in a good place back then so yeah,that is one thing.

Apart from that well summer is coming close and here in Spain that is huge thing when it comes to tourism (national and international) and the way it keeps on going i dont think this summer will be any good.

But to be honest what saddens me the most is people in the nursing homes,so far as of the 3rd of april we lost 3.600 people that were in nursing homes,add another 2.000 or so because those 3.600 are just a ''ballpark'' figure.

It is sad because these older folks worked all their lifes,they deserve a retirement where they can relax,do activities and enjoy whatever time they have left.
Add insult to injury most of the families of the deceased cant even say a proper goodbye or even receive a proper burial.

I know that in the general scheme of things those may seem like small numbers but things like this just hit me hard.

Last edited:

Ed Brown

ECF Veteran
Sep 29, 2019
North-Central PA (flyover country)
In Pennsylvania, the liquor stores, tobacco stores, and vape shops are closed. They even closed a drive through convenience store that sold essentials like bread, milk, eggs, coffee, and yes, cigarettes. That was about the safest store to go to because the customers are in their car and the clerk is inside. You just put your card on the counter at the bottom of the window, they pick it up, put your stuff on the counter and back up. Distance is maintained. Our governor Wolf is a firm believer in government knows best.

I understand stores refusing cash, but that's a troubling development. Honestly I don't use cash much anyway, but it should remain legal tender. Once I lost my card, cancelled it, and went to the bank to get a week's worth of cash until the new card came in. Yeah, cash money can carry germs, but you can always launder it ( ;)). I don't want to see this country going the way of china with their social ranking system, and everybody using their phones to pay for everything. China is already blocking people who have a bad social reputation from buying plane, train, and bus tickets, and even consumer goods. My son was teaching English in China last year and it was too much for him, even as a millennial Bernie Sanders supporter.

Don't get me started on the millennials. Their going to be running this show soon, and with their wokenness, shaming, ignorance of history, etc., we will be trending towards what China is doing. I don't want this virus to serve as a catalyst for a cultural revolution in this country. I still have a few years left and will do everything I can to slow that trend down. History is full of wrong turns and I hope it doesn't happen till after I'm gone. How's that for a classic boomer attitude?

Idea for a bumpersticker: You say you're woken, I say you're broken

Ok, rant over.

Territoo

Diva
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Jul 17, 2009
    Texas
    That only works if you
    A) put a wall around your county and
    B) wait a week or more to be sure you have no ACTUAL cases (rather than just confirmed ones).

And then, you can all run around inside your bubble until you run out of supplies.

Otherwise, if you "stay open", that's how you spread CV-19. Because you won't be at zero for long.

We can't stay locked down until they come up with a vaccine. The county just south of ours is hard hit and just south of that is Dallas/Fort Worth. Despite that, we have no cases. This is a rural county with nothing here. Once travel starts up again, I'm sure we'll see our first case, but the public health officials will be able to do testing, contact tracking, and quarantining. That is what is required for reopening the economy.

Reactions: CMD-Ky

Javichu

Account closed on request
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 8, 2020
    Spain
    In Pennsylvania, the liquor stores, tobacco stores, and vape shops are closed. They even closed a drive through convenience store that sold essentials like bread, milk, eggs, coffee, and yes, cigarettes. That was about the safest store to go to because the customers are in their car and the clerk is inside. You just put your card on the counter at the bottom of the window, they pick it up, put your stuff on the counter and back up. Distance is maintained. Our governor Wolf is a firm believer in government knows best.

I understand stores refusing cash, but that's a troubling development. Honestly I don't use cash much anyway, but it should remain legal tender. Once I lost my card, cancelled it, and went to the bank to get a week's worth of cash until the new card came in. Yeah, cash money can carry germs, but you can always launder it ( ;)). I don't want to see this country going the way of china with their social ranking system, and everybody using their phones to pay for everything. China is already blocking people who have a bad social reputation from buying plane, train, and bus tickets, and even consumer goods. My son was teaching English in China last year and it was too much for him, even as a millennial Bernie Sanders supporter.

Don't get me started on the millennials. Their going to be running this show soon, and with their wokenness, shaming, ignorance of history, etc., we will be trending towards what China is doing. I don't want this virus to serve as a catalyst for a cultural revolution in this country. I still have a few years left and will do everything I can to slow that trend down. History is full of wrong turns and I hope it doesn't happen till after I'm gone. How's that for a classic boomer attitude?

Ok, rant over.

Best post i have read in a long time and it mirrors my thoughts on the matter.
    What kills me is the dehumanization of society,no words exchanged with a stranger at the bus stop,no good morning or good afternoon,just mindless drones glued to the screens of their smartphones.

At least mother nature and natural selection is on our side,kid gets run over while playing pokemon go....influencer falls off a cliff while taking a selfie.
    dont get me wrong i do not celebrate that people get hurt but gee come on,every time i read news about something like that happening it reminds me of the movie idiocracy:

You talk about millennials but im even more afraid for the generation after that,kids throwing a tantrum and the parents to busy to educate them and teach them manners so they just give them a laptop or smartphone and that way they will stop crying...yeah good parenting right there :rolleyes:

Addiction to social media in my honest opinion is mind cancer,people is forgetting about human in person interactions and they are getting to used to sharing their life with the world like if it's that interesting.

Hotel Calls Out "Influencer" For Asking For Free Stay, Bans All Bloggers | One Mile at a Time

^^
    High five to the owner of the hotel,to many entitled ''influencers'' and wannabe models think that they are actually working,gee come on!!

Kudos again for the post buddy,well written :thumbs:

Last edited:

AttyPops

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 8, 2010
    Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
    We can't stay locked down until they come up with a vaccine. The county just south of ours is hard hit and just south of that is Dallas/Fort Worth. Despite that, we have no cases. This is a rural county with nothing here. Once travel starts up again, I'm sure we'll see our first case, but the public health officials will be able to do testing, contact tracking, and quarantining. That is what is required for reopening the economy.
    I agree with that. But for a short duration, anyway, lockdowns are a good idea. IMHO.

Territoo

Diva
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Jul 17, 2009
    Texas
    I agree with that. But for a short duration, anyway, lockdowns are a good idea. IMHO.
    I agree too. And for the time being I'll stay in my hidey-hole. But it doesn't seem fair to close the vape shops and keep the smoke shops open.

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 15, 2013
    KY

We still await an AIDS vaccine and AIDS has been killing people since the very early 1980's. We can treat it relatively effectively but no vaccine for forty years. Waiting for a vaccine as the standard, I think, is out of the question.

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 15, 2013
    KY
    I agree too. And for the time being I'll stay in my hidey-hole. But it doesn't seem fair to close the vape shops and keep the smoke shops open.

Here in KY, Wallmart is completely open selling clothes and everything else. The local clothing stores [most are locally owned] are closed. Maybe the locals should start selling milk as well as everything else. The bigs have won, the littles are losing.

Territoo

Diva
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Jul 17, 2009
    Texas
    We still await an AIDS vaccine and AIDS has been killing people since the very early 1980's. We can treat it relatively effectively but no vaccine for forty years. Waiting for a vaccine, I think is out of the question.

They've worked on an HIV vaccine, but the virus mutates too much. There are dozens of strains of it.

• Agree
    Reactions: CMD-Ky

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 15, 2013
    KY
    They've worked on an HIV vaccine, but the virus mutates too much. There are dozens of strains of it.

True, they have been working for nearly forty years. I still think that setting the "opening" of the country to be an effective vaccine standard is not a viable option. It is far to indefinite.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA

So let it be written, so let it be done.

y0LOJcz.jpg

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread