• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

vapeing in a government building

Status
Not open for further replies.

JasonG

Verified Member
Dec 4, 2013
West Texas
I don't think the push here is for perfection...obviously not one of
us can cast the first stone in regards to being perfect by the regs
100% of the time. BUT...why allow yourself any extra leeway on top of
that? We know we're all human (not robots) so we all make
mistakes. Since they're going to happen anyway, why encourage (or
allow) other people to willfully break regs just to "stick it to the
man" and prove that we can so we will? That mentality is a cancer in
the Armed Forces and has no place in an environment that thrives on
good order and discipline.

Most of the time I find there is no bus if I'm not jacking up in the first place.

I don't think the push here is for perfection...obviously not one of
us can cast the first stone in regards to being perfect by the regs
100% of the time. BUT...why allow yourself any extra leeway on top of
that? We know we're all human (not robots) so we all make
mistakes. Since they're going to happen anyway, why encourage (or
allow) other people to willfully break regs just to "stick it to the
man" and prove that we can so we will? That mentality is a cancer in
the Armed Forces and has no place in an environment that thrives on
good order and discipline.

Most of the time I find there is no bus if I'm not jacking up in the first place.

But it comes off like it is for perfection. People are gonna be people. If leadership isn't saying anything, just move on. Because if you get in trouble, you're not the only one that'll go down for it (50% of the time).

GreenDragon5

Jan 21, 2014
Guam, USA
I vape indoors at our hospital here on deployment. My petty officer vapes with command leadership standing right in front of him, and they have not said anything to him. I vape in front of him and some of the coworkers, but not the command section. I was the same in Guam, I vape mostly behind closed doors in the hospital or take it out to my car. I refuse to go to a smoke deck.

Tcar

Dec 17, 2013
North Carolina
I was vaping at the VA hospital last Thursday, people looked and went back to what they where doing, cause they give 0 [edited], awesome being retired.

Congrats on retirement.

VA Employee here. VA Policy is not uniform (surprise!) Depends on the VA facility and it's Medical Center Director. VA policy is locally set. VA's work a lot like military posts in that the Director is like the CG. Their word is literally law. The saying is that "If you've been to one VA, you've been to one VA. If the VA ever tried to ban smoking analogs here the Vets would burn the place down. We are very very lucky that our Director is retired Enlisted and she brooks no .... and/or chicken .....

At my VA and it's satellite clinics we have a "vaping is the same as smoking" policy and it's banned from buildings or within 50 ft of entrances. Supposed to do it in one of the dozen smoking shelters that we have. No one ever really bothers the vapers unless they are being ......ed in a "fack the man" way. Vaping is getting more mainstream in NC every day. . .

In reality, I vape in my sections private area and in our conference room at night/weekends when no one is around. My section chief would have a kitten but he ain't there then and my fellow peon GS-6 employees don't care. Not like it leaves an odor. Biggest thing is that the room doesn't look like the set of a Cheech and Chong movie if someone walks in unexpected. I step outside during daytime or when people are around. If I see a Vet vaping in a verboten place like two steps out of the ED entrance, I tell them that I personally don't care but I'd appreciate if if they stepped off to the side. Usually something like, "Hey, I was just about to step out for a vape, wanna come over here around the corner where we won't get .....ed at if my boss sees us? What juice are you vaping?" Other employees, I show the MCM (policy) and tell them not to fack it up for the rest of us.

Some of the civilian hospitals in the area have 100% no nicotine policies. facking zealots.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bigfro23

Verified Member
Havent been Vaping but for more than a month and for the most part it widely accepted. Even before I started actively vaping, I had several co-worker vape in the same office as me. There has only has been one E-7 that complains, and tells me that even though, there's no Tobacco in my vape, that it's still a tobacco product and he wants me to go outside w/ it. So I ask him straight up if my Vape really bothers you, I'll go outside w/ it. He then proceeds to tell me about how long he dipped before he quit cold turkey... I mean I understand where he's coming from, but @ the same time everyone quits differently, and so far this has worked the best for me.. I'll appease him when he's around (for the most part!!), but in the words of "Smokey" when he's gone I'll be vaping indoors Again!!! and he would be the command Fitness Leader!!!!

TexasTanker19kilo20

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2013
Copperas Cove, TEXAS
Havent been Vaping but for more than a month and for the most part it widely accepted. Even before I started actively vaping, I had several co-worker vape in the same office as me. There has only has been one E-7 that complains, and tells me that even though, there's no Tobacco in my vape, that it's still a tobacco product and he wants me to go outside w/ it. So I ask him straight up if my Vape really bothers you, I'll go outside w/ it. He then proceeds to tell me about how long he dipped before he quit cold turkey... I mean I understand where he's coming from, but @ the same time everyone quits differently, and so far this has worked the best for me.. I'll appease him when he's around (for the most part!!), but in the words of "Smokey" when he's gone I'll be vaping indoors Again!!! and he would be the command Fitness Leader!!!!

He's just jelly. Butthurt people tend to try and justify why you can't do something just because of a regulation. I know people who have a 1SG that subohms in his office like a Boss.

Last edited:

Oakman_Smalls

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2013
Colorado Springs, CO
This all depends on your command until a reg comes down concerning vaping. Trust me its coming. My guess is its gunna be just like tobacco products. But in the same token everyone dips indoors and thats against the tobacco regs so still gunna be up to ur chain of command. The 1 star we fall under this deployment doesnt care that we vape in the command center. Boss!!! All my COC doesnt care but were infantry so were better than everyone else and we know it! (just kidding)

TexasTanker19kilo20

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2013
Copperas Cove, TEXAS
This all depends on your command until a reg comes down concerning vaping. Trust me its coming. My guess is its gunna be just like tobacco products. But in the same token everyone dips indoors and thats against the tobacco regs so still gunna be up to ur chain of command. The 1 star we fall under this deployment doesnt care that we vape in the command center. Boss!!! All my COC doesnt care but were infantry so were better than everyone else and we know it! (just kidding)

Oh yeah, gotta enjoy the camaraderie of a combat arms unit.

TexasTanker19kilo20

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2013
Copperas Cove, TEXAS
LOL i was waiting for the .... hurt to ensue. Thank god it was a lazy tanker reading it first. Just kidding Im in a mech unit so I'm pretty close to some of u mustache having animals

Us Tankers are very lazy, thank you mentioning that.

Death before Dismount

I should be going to bed so I am not going to read the next 10 pages. As the saying goes, Do what your stripes can handle. I would hide it from most people though. I would also keep taking a 'smoke break.' The short walk helps to get your blood pumping!

I am sure someone has said this already though since this thread was started more than 2 years ago. Wow.

Chambo007

Mar 17, 2014
United States
Up until around Halloween of last year vaping was allowed in our Fleet Readiness Center, but not anymore. They have sent out emails saying that it will be "treated as a tobacco product and must be used outside at designated areas".

Yet, people that chew or dip can still get away with it in the work center even though in that same LCP it says they should be going outside too....

Thalinor

ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2009
NH - USA
Just like on public transportation its all about not drawing attention to yourself. I usually mix up some special ejuice specifically for this purpose. The ejuice I make is higher level nicotine than I normally use, has less flavor [if any] and is entirely PG. I use a 3.0 ohm atomizer with a small PV like my Super T 10440 which looks like a pen. While I do not get a huge throat hit, it produces enough [nearly invisible] vapor to get my nicotine fix. If I feel the throat hit, I assume there will be visible vapor and exhale slowly or into my shirt/pullover.

The key is to act like you are doing nothing wrong instead of looking guilty, don't do it around people who you know to be a problem, don't show off, don't use the PV's that look like analog cigs, don't blow plumbs of vapor, and realize that the more flavor you add the more people will smell that flavor. I don't know why but there are some people who can't understand the word "discretion"; it's these few people who ruin it for everyone. It shouldn't be anyones business as long as you don't make it their business.

If you get caught don't act like an idiot, explain its an inhaler for dispensing medical nicotine and that you are using it because you have quit smoking. Play up the fact you are going healthy and how long it has been since you have smoked, and how you will never start again. Throw in how much cigarette smoke makes you feel like garbage and how you now hate the smell. Usually the people who are against vaping hate smokers, love to hear you quit, and even more that you have joined their cause against smoking. Personally I could care less about analogs [though as an x smoker the smell is not something I now enjoy] however when facing angry anti-smokers questioning you about what you are doing with an ecig it usually works to your benefit to play along.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread