• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

vapeing in a government building

Status
Not open for further replies.
I vape at work all day long but considering Im deployed atm its a little bit of a different story.

Normally I probably wouldnt chance it just because while some people may not mind it at all others would probably get super offended and freak out

edit: to answer the question yes, the military treats vaping the same way it does as normal smoking and wants you to do it designated areas and a certain distance from buildings

ClintS

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2014
San Diego area, CA
I'm a retired Navy Command Master Chief (=Command Sgt Major or AF Command Chief), recently started vaping, and work on several Naval Bases in San Diego. Vaping and decisions on how vaping should be regarded are very much being discussed. Surprisingly there are lot of people on the side of sensibly allowing it. However many of the active duty (Army, Navy, Marine Corps, Air Force, and Coast Guard) are making it easier for leaders to make a firm decision.

The number of complaints from non-smokers and the number of fire alarms being set off are the two largest points for treating vaping exactly as smoking is treated - shipboard and shore.

This does not have to get the point of becoming a directive or instruction like the AF, although it will simply because of the few that lack respect for those around them or the affect they have. But hey, I've been proven wrong from time to time - and this one time I would very much like being wrong.

Don't being blowin clouds in barracks rooms! It sets off alarms bringing undue pressure to resolve the issue. Don't continue to vape in an environment when a coworker has a concern. Maintaining consideration for others and the expected professional work environment as seen by those who visit your spaces - can go a long way to avoiding written instructions, regulations, or rules.

I've talked with quite few of the senior enlisted leadership in San Diego (Army, Navy and Marine Corps) and I think they'd prefer to keep the status quo - but will act if they feel they need to. And we even have people at NAVFAC figuring out ventilation requirements and how to adjust fire alarms to make buildings a little more vape friendly (not the term they are using, but just the same). Keep them on your side.

I dislike rules per see - but the following post offers some pretty good guidelines -
At our weapons school house, no rules prohibit vaping, so we have two choices. Vape wherever till the OIC gets fed up and shuts it down for everyone, or police ourselves and keep our department looking professional with some rules. So we are doing the smart thing and writing our own instruction. Places we intend to prohibit vaping:
In class or in laboratories.
In formation
During quarters, training or formal meetings
In the p-ways (hallways) or elevators
during evolutions where distractions are unsafe
When transiting outside the building (for example walking to the parking lot)
In someones personal office unless invited to do so.
In the galley and messdecks during meal hours

There are a couple other times I think, but I cant remember them right now.

The goal of this is to keep all of us looking professional and military, and not giving anyone a reason to ban it to the smoke deck only. This basically just identifying when vaping isn't appropriate. Things people should already know, but if they didn't now they do!

Last edited:

BaxterB

Verified Member
May 29, 2014
Yokosuka, Kanagawa, Japan
Originally, my command had no restrictions on vaping. That has since changed. We now simply have to go outside. Any place topside, vaping is authorized. The "vape light", so to speak, is never out. A lot of us still vape inside the skin of the ship, to include senior personnel. People are just smart about where and when. For the most part, we all just go outside and vape. Seems reasonable to me, and I can still vape without getting crammed onto the smoke deck with the smokers...only to leave smelling like I still smoke!!!

Blackl1sted

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2014
San Diego, CA
I'm a retired Navy Command Master Chief (=Command Sgt Major or AF Command Chief), recently started vaping, and work on several Naval Bases in San Diego. Vaping and decisions on how vaping should be regarded are very much being discussed. Surprisingly there are lot of people on the side of sensibly allowing it. However many of the active duty (Army, Navy, Marine Corps, Air Force, and Coast Guard) are making it easier for leaders to make a firm decision.

The number of complaints from non-smokers and the number of fire alarms being set off are the two largest points for treating vaping exactly as smoking is treated - shipboard and shore.

This does not have to get the point of becoming a directive or instruction like the AF, although it will simply because of the few that lack respect for those around them or the affect they have. But hey, I've been proven wrong from time to time - and this one time I would very much like being wrong.

Don't being blowin clouds in barracks rooms! It sets off alarms bringing undue pressure to resolve the issue. Don't continue to vape in an environment when a coworker has a concern. Maintaining consideration for others and the expected professional work environment as seen by those who visit your spaces - can go a long way to avoiding written instructions, regulations, or rules.

I've talked with quite few of the senior enlisted leadership in San Diego (Army, Navy and Marine Corps) and I think they'd prefer to keep the status quo - but will act if they feel they need to. And we even have people at NAVFAC figuring out ventilation requirements and how to adjust fire alarms to make buildings a little more vape friendly (not the term they are using, but just the same). Keep them on your side.

I dislike rules per see - but the following post offers some pretty good guidelines -

I've been trying to find out if there are any written rules on vaping in buildings on MCAS Miramar, I am a contractor working on the flight simulators. It sounds like it's up to the individual CO's/OIC's. I do vape in our building but work mainly evening/mid shift so it's not a big deal. When I work the day shift I don't openly do it and I get out of the building often on trouble calls that I just vape outside most of the time. No one has told me I have to go outside and I'm not going to give them a reason to.

And as a Navy vet, thank you all for your service current and past!

mac63

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 1, 2014
Haven't heard about any bans for the Marine Corps around here. I'm alone in my office so do it all the time. People walk by and say nothing. I have done it in other parts of the building but don't blow big clouds or flaunt it. I've been able to use those times to educate others and the response has always been good.

atroph

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2014
Chesapeake, VA
I saw something interesting today at the Naval Hospital in Portsmouth VA. I was walking by the exchange on the inside of the hospital and across from it is a barber shop and a GNC. Inside the barber shop I see a sailor holding this stick thing to his face. i double take and recognize it as an ego with a T2 or CE4 on the top. He takes a mouth hit and then inhales it. A tad bit of vape comes out of his mouth when he inhales the hit. I carried on so I missed the exhale if there was much of one. I was kinda shocked to see that inside the building. I had been stealth vaping in the head at the far end of the building while I was waiting on the missus and would have never though to see someone vaping in plain sight in a place like that.

I wonder what the stance is on vaping at that facility as the entire campus is supposedly smoke free.

Bobbilly

ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2014
Canada
I saw something interesting today at the Naval Hospital in Portsmouth VA. I was walking by the exchange on the inside of the hospital and across from it is a barber shop and a GNC. Inside the barber shop I see a sailor holding this stick thing to his face. i double take and recognize it as an ego with a T2 or CE4 on the top. He takes a mouth hit and then inhales it. A tad bit of vape comes out of his mouth when he inhales the hit. I carried on so I missed the exhale if there was much of one. I was kinda shocked to see that inside the building. I had been stealth vaping in the head at the far end of the building while I was waiting on the missus and would have never though to see someone vaping in plain sight in a place like that.

I wonder what the stance is on vaping at that facility as the entire campus is supposedly smoke free.

Even with people vaping. The facility is still smoke free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bobbilly

ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2014
Canada

Even with people vaping. The facility is still smoke free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread