Vapers Choice Cotton Wick Anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I looked at the web site and it's probably good cotton, but cotton is cotton and 2 oz for $12 is pretty expensive. There's organic cotton that's grown without chemical sprays for insects and without bleaching. Then, there's Japanese cotton - Kho Gen Do. It's a high quality Japanese cotton that's combed with fibers all in the same direction and few defects.

The truth is that you can buy high grade cotton and cellulose cheap and get good vaping out of it. If there's a Sally Beauty Supply in your area, go in and look for salon coils. The coils come in a box. It's a coiled up rope of cotton that's fairly clean and without aftertaste when you vape. For the regular cotton coils it's about $4 and change. For the cellucotton coils you will pay a little more, but it's worth it. Cellucotton is rayon fibers that looks like cotton and vapes better than cotton. It's worth a few buck extra. Either box will last you months, maybe over a year.

Sites-SA-Site

I have the red box right now. They were out of the cellucotton.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nomoreash

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I currently use cellucotton. I'm more looking for some hands on reviews of this product. The idea that you can dry burn it without a dry hit and no burnt taste after dripping has me intrigued.

PBusardo on YouTube did a side by side comparison with cotton balls, Japanese cotton, rayon (cellulose), and hemp. He liked the Japanese cotton best, with Rayon coming in a close second. His main point about Japanese cotton was that it was unprocessed, no chemicals, and it wicked better. He liked the Rayon, but it's made from boiled down wood fibers that are spun in a drum to separate the fine strands and it's turned into a fine cotton like product with lots of parallel strands. There's chemicals involved in production of Rayon.

Last edited:

HeiSINberg

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 6, 2013
Groveville, NJ
Im looking forward to what you have to say on this, i really want to try this stuff. Personally ive used the sallys rayon for the longest, ive tried cotton bacon and Japanese cotton and there all not bad. You should see the looks i get at my local vape shop when i told them i use rayon, you might of thought i told them i just killed someone. I dont argue it is what it is, everyone has there preferences.

Uncletattoowhat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 21, 2014
Poquoson, VA
Im looking forward to what you have to say on this, i really want to try this stuff. Personally ive used the sallys rayon for the longest, ive tried cotton bacon and Japanese cotton and there all not bad. You should see the looks i get at my local vape shop when i told them i use rayon, you might of thought i told them i just killed someone. I dont argue it is what it is, everyone has there preferences.

I ordered it Friday so hopefully it comes soon. Their site says there is a 3-7 day delay because of demand.

I, too, have been using Sally CCR since JeremyR first suggested it in the rayon thread. I've tried DeLasco rayon balls, Unicorn Hair (expensive straighter CCR), tencel top, KGD and Japanese organic, but for me the CCR worked the best/was easiest to use/lasted longest. Most shops I've mentioned it to have heard of it but "wont use it because people don't want to try it". My go to B&M has been tearing through a 500ft box since they opened after I suggested it and showed them how to use it.

After watching a bunch of little clips on Instagram that people keep posting, it looks like it may live up to the hype. I've never been able to drip then fire for 20 seconds without scorching my wick and still not retain any burnt flavor. I'm very eager to try it when it gets here.

HeiSINberg

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 6, 2013
Groveville, NJ
I ordered it Friday so hopefully it comes soon. Their site says there is a 3-7 day delay because of demand.

I, too, have been using Sally CCR since JeremyR first suggested it in the rayon thread. I've tried DeLasco rayon balls, Unicorn Hair (expensive straighter CCR), tencel top, KGD and Japanese organic, but for me the CCR worked the best/was easiest to use/lasted longest. Most shops I've mentioned it to have heard of it but "wont use it because people don't want to try it". My go to B&M has been tearing through a 500ft box since they opened after I suggested it and showed them how to use it.

After watching a bunch of little clips on Instagram that people keep posting, it looks like it may live up to the hype. I've never been able to drip then fire for 20 seconds without scorching my wick and still not retain any burnt flavor. I'm very eager to try it when it gets here.
Right now im using that cotton bacon stuff and its not that bad, its not awesome but its decent. To me it doesnt seem to wick as well as my rayon did. I just feel like if you own a vape shop you should be more knowledgeable about different stuff, the owner was even in on telling me how bad rayon is to vape, when i asked why she said that she had no answer, no one did. It was almost like they'd rather scare people away from certain things then educate them on it and let them decide. Which one did you order? The 1 36"? I was thinking about getting it myself today too.

Uncletattoowhat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 21, 2014
Poquoson, VA
Right now im using that cotton bacon stuff and its not that bad, its not awesome but its decent. To me it doesnt seem to wick as well as my rayon did. I just feel like if you own a vape shop you should be more knowledgeable about different stuff, the owner was even in on telling me how bad rayon is to vape, when i asked why she said that she had no answer, no one did. It was almost like they'd rather scare people away from certain things then educate them on it and let them decide. Which one did you order? The 1 36"? I was thinking about getting it myself today too.

I agree, I find the shops that refuse to open to new things and do the research are the ones that I normally refuse to visit again. When I go to a shop, it's not for retail reasons. It's to hang out with the workers and other customers. It's my get away once every few weeks from my wife and toddler lol (every father needs some "daddy time"). Ignorance is not tolerated on my hard earned chill time.

I ordered the 36" jar. I figured it's more than enough to figure out if I like it, plus a friend said he'd buy half of it if its any good, which will fund another jar later on. I plan on rewicking all my tanks and RDAs and heavily stress testing it though based on the actions I've seen others do with it online. :D

HeiSINberg

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 6, 2013
Groveville, NJ
I agree, I find the shops that refuse to open to new things and do the research are the ones that I normally refuse to visit again. When I go to a shop, it's not for retail reasons. It's to hang out with the workers and other customers. It's my get away once every few weeks from my wife and toddler lol (every father needs some "daddy time"). Ignorance is not tolerated on my hard earned chill time.

I ordered the 36" jar. I figured it's more than enough to figure out if I like it, plus a friend said he'd buy half of it if its any good, which will fund another jar later on. I plan on rewicking all my tanks and RDAs and heavily stress testing it though based on the actions I've seen others do with it online. :D
Definitely, everyone needs that time. My only problem is im in New Jersey and where i live theres close to no vape shops so i take what i can get and im thankful its there when i dont feel like ordering online. Its always nice to get stuff that day in hand, but it would be nice to have more shops and more options. Im hoping more will pop up, most of the good shops like 9 south vapes and such are over an hour away. I think i might just buy it, its only 12 bucks i believe, i really wanted to wait to see what your findings are but as with all vape related things i want it NOW! lol

Uncletattoowhat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 21, 2014
Poquoson, VA
Definitely, everyone needs that time. My only problem is im in New Jersey and where i live theres close to no vape shops so i take what i can get and im thankful its there when i dont feel like ordering online. Its always nice to get stuff that day in hand, but it would be nice to have more shops and more options. Im hoping more will pop up, most of the good shops like 9 south vapes and such are over an hour away. I think i might just buy it, its only 12 bucks i believe, i really wanted to wait to see what your findings are but as with all vape related things i want it NOW! lol

I am fortunate/unfortunate enough (depending on how you look at it) to have a MASSIVE community in my area. There are close to 30 shops in my area I believe with more popping up all the time. Depending on what way I go home from work I can pass up to 5 in the same 30min drive lol. Its good for "I need this now" things like local juice companies, but I don't pay "retail" for any fasttech clones they have. If I want something bad enough, I'll order it online and save the money. Plus, 9/10 times when I get something "new", it takes the shops about a month to catch up and get it in for themselves. It's happened recently with the Derringer clone and Marquis. I had both before the shop workers even knew it existed, then weeks later they had a full supply.

Back to the cotton, yes it was $12 shipped, and they take PayPal (which was SUPER convenient since I had some change sitting in mine). I recieved tracking yesterday saying it was shipped so hopefully I'll see it by the weekend. I'll try to make a nice review (probably pictorial as I get awkward on video. plus I'd have to clean up my beard lol).

Reactions: MMW

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Some cotton is defoliated using chemical to make the leaves fall off. Organic cotton is supposed to be produced using natural methods. It's why I like Koh Gen Do Japanese cotton.

How cotton is made - production process, history, used, processing, parts, steps, industry, machine, History, Raw Materials, The Production Process, Quality Control, Byproducts/Waste

I considered the Cellucotton (rayon) from Sally's, but they were out when I visited to buy. I ended up getting the red box cotton salon coil. The link below talks about how caustic soda is used at two points in the manufacture of rayon. I'll pass. Maybe they clean it well enough to remove the caustic soda, but I'm still leery.

How rayon is made - material, manufacture, making, used, processing, structure, procedure, steps, industry, machine, Raw Materials, The Manufacturing Process of rayon

hpm_0000_0001_0_img0156.jpg

Last edited:

Uncletattoowhat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 21, 2014
Poquoson, VA
Some cotton is defoliated using chemical to make the leaves fall off. Organic cotton is supposed to be produced using natural methods. It's why I like Koh Gen Do Japanese cotton.

How cotton is made - production process, history, used, processing, parts, steps, industry, machine, History, Raw Materials, The Production Process, Quality Control, Byproducts/Waste

I considered the Cellucotton (rayon) from Sally's, but they were out when I visited to buy. I ended up getting the red box cotton salon coil. The link below talks about how caustic soda is used at two points in the manufacture of rayon. I'll pass. Maybe they clean it well enough to remove the caustic soda, but I'm still leery.

How rayon is made - material, manufacture, making, used, processing, structure, procedure, steps, industry, machine, Raw Materials, The Manufacturing Process of rayon
http://www.madehow.com/images/hpm_0000_0001_0_img0156.jpg
No offense, but I've read all I can read on Rayon in the Rayon thread by JeremyR. This thread is about this specific type of wicking material. I'm not getting into a debate of why "rayon isn't safe".

On that note, here is my initial review of the Vapers Choice Cotton:

I received my36” jar yesterday and rewicked a few things last night. So far, I am impressed with this stuff compared to Sally’s CCR. I rewicked my derringer that’s running a dual fused Clapton coil (parallel 26ga Nichrome80 Clapton-ed with 32ga Kanthal A1, 5 wraps 2.5mm dia) and Subtank Mini running a single fused Clapton (same as previous but 4 wraps 2.5mm dia).

First thing I noticed is how strong this stuff feels to the touch. Much along the lines of tencel top. It’s a straight firm stranded fiber that doesn’t rip easily like cotton or CCR. I took a 1 1/2" piece off the end, pulled it apart down the middle, trimmed the edges a little to get them to a point, and fed it through the coil. Normally it takes me a good 5 minutes to get rayon thinned out and tucked just the way I like it. This was a literal wick, cut, stuff.

The density I used in the coil is comparable to too tight for cotton, but too lose for rayon. It was firm but easier to move once set in place. From there I trimmed the tails, tucked as necessary and juiced it up. It took A LOT of juice to full saturate it.

Upon first hit, there was a SLIGHT wick taste, but nothing I haven’t experienced before. After 3 hits it was gone and was full on flavor. The juice I was using was Cosmic Charlie’s Chalk Dust Dream Cream. I had dripped it in the same atty, same build with rayon right before wicking this up. It’s hard to say if it’s the placebo effect or something else, but the flavor was a lot more in your face and I picked up notes that I hadn’t noticed on the rayon.

I vaped that first dripping down til I could taste that there was barely any juice left, but never got a dry hit, even cranking my wattage up on both devices after going dry to TRY for a dry hit. Nothing. Pull the cap and see the wick was as white and dry as I had just installed it.

Another thing I noticed is that after vaping dry, changing flavors is an INSTANT change. Normally with rayon I would have a few hits of the old flavor, then a few mixed, then the new. This wick was straight from the Cream Dream to a bottle of Source Code Jerry’s Berries that I got in my Zamplebox yesterday with NO residual flavor left over. Every flavor change was instant. I ended up dripping all 6 bottles that came in the Zample.

I am going to be running this wick for as long as I can in these builds, which seems to be about 4-7 days before needing to dry burn the coils to get the gunk off. Once I have to dry burn, I plan on trying to just rinse the wick and reinstall like I sometimes do with rayon. My hopes is to get a month off one wick lol.

All in all, I'm happy with my purchase and encourage others to try it. At $12 for a 36” wick, after the first 24 hours of performance, I’m sold. I will update as time goes on and I put the wick through more testing.

HeiSINberg

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 6, 2013
Groveville, NJ
No offense, but I've read all I can read on Rayon in the Rayon thread by JeremyR. This thread is about this specific type of wicking material. I'm not getting into a debate of why "rayon isn't safe".

On that note, here is my initial review of the Vapers Choice Cotton:

I received my36” jar yesterday and rewicked a few things last night. So far, I am impressed with this stuff compared to Sally’s CCR. I rewicked my derringer that’s running a dual fused Clapton coil (parallel 26ga Nichrome80 Clapton-ed with 32ga Kanthal A1, 5 wraps 2.5mm dia) and Subtank Mini running a single fused Clapton (same as previous but 4 wraps 2.5mm dia).

First thing I noticed is how strong this stuff feels to the touch. Much along the lines of tencel top. It’s a straight firm stranded fiber that doesn’t rip easily like cotton or CCR. I took a 1 1/2" piece off the end, pulled it apart down the middle, trimmed the edges a little to get them to a point, and fed it through the coil. Normally it takes me a good 5 minutes to get rayon thinned out and tucked just the way I like it. This was a literal wick, cut, stuff.

The density I used in the coil is comparable to too tight for cotton, but too lose for rayon. It was firm but easier to move once set in place. From there I trimmed the tails, tucked as necessary and juiced it up. It took A LOT of juice to full saturate it.

Upon first hit, there was a SLIGHT wick taste, but nothing I haven’t experienced before. After 3 hits it was gone and was full on flavor. The juice I was using was Cosmic Charlie’s Chalk Dust Dream Cream. I had dripped it in the same atty, same build with rayon right before wicking this up. It’s hard to say if it’s the placebo effect or something else, but the flavor was a lot more in your face and I picked up notes that I hadn’t noticed on the rayon.

I vaped that first dripping down til I could taste that there was barely any juice left, but never got a dry hit, even cranking my wattage up on both devices after going dry to TRY for a dry hit. Nothing. Pull the cap and see the wick was as white and dry as I had just installed it.

Another thing I noticed is that after vaping dry, changing flavors is an INSTANT change. Normally with rayon I would have a few hits of the old flavor, then a few mixed, then the new. This wick was straight from the Cream Dream to a bottle of Source Code Jerry’s Berries that I got in my Zamplebox yesterday with NO residual flavor left over. Every flavor change was instant. I ended up dripping all 6 bottles that came in the Zample.

I am going to be running this wick for as long as I can in these builds, which seems to be about 4-7 days before needing to dry burn the coils to get the gunk off. Once I have to dry burn, I plan on trying to just rinse the wick and reinstall like I sometimes do with rayon. My hopes is to get a month off one wick lol.

All in all, I'm happy with my purchase and encourage others to try it. At $12 for a 36” wick, after the first 24 hours of performance, I’m sold. I will update as time goes on and I put the wick through more testing.
Thank you, i have been waiting for this lol i am definitely going to go ahead and buy some for myself. I still have a bunch of other wick material laying around, so whats another one on top of that. I specifically wanted to hear what someone thought who vaped rayon, since thats what i mainly use. Glad your enjoying it, cant wait to hear the feedback as time goes on.

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas

Forget the vape shops. Look for a beauty supply shop. Vape shops will absolutely rip you off on the price.

For example, the vape shops around me sell 5 sheets of Koh Gen Do for $6-$10. That's just for 5 sheets of the stuff.

But there is a beauty supply shop called Sephora right down the road that sells 80 sheets of the same Koh Gen Do for $12.

Both Koh Gen Doh and Cellucotton are beauty supplies that the vaping community has adopted. If you want the cheapest prices, and want to find it easily, check the local beauty supply shops, not the vape shops.

HeiSINberg

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 6, 2013
Groveville, NJ
Forget the vape shops. Look for a beauty supply shop. Vape shops will absolutely rip you off on the price.

For example, the vape shops around me sell 5 sheets of Koh Gen Do for $6-$10. That's just for 5 sheets of the stuff.

But there is a beauty supply shop called Sephora right down the road that sells 80 sheets of the same Koh Gen Do for $12.

Both Koh Gen Doh and Cellucotton are beauty supplies that the vaping community has adopted. If you want the cheapest prices, and want to find it easily, check the local beauty supply shops, not the vape shops.
If you read my other post you would see i said i have the big box of sallys rayon lol that shop i go to literally boycotts it and wont sell it period, thats how against it they are. In fact i normally only go there if im really low on something and need it now, other then that i try and stay away cause they jack there prices up ridiculously.

Uncletattoowhat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 21, 2014
Poquoson, VA
Day 5 update.

Both my Derringer and Subtank Mini are still running the same wicks I installed on 4/2 when I received the product.

Both wicks are doing the exact same since day 1. When vaped dry on the Derringer (which there is STILL NO dry hit), the wick is completely white and begging for more juice. There is no gunk the wick and no discoloration.

In the Subtank mini, after about 5-6 tanks of different juices, there is no gunk on the wick at all. There is a slight discoloration on one tail that I believe I may have trimmed a little too short. There is no change in flavor though, and no dry hits.

For both of these wicks, when the fused Claptons get gunked enough, I will pull the wick, dry burn, and reinstall the same wick to see just how long they can last (the longest I've had a wick last was in my wife's old Fogger v4, and it lasted 120ml before having to rebuild the coils).

Heck, I may even just dry burn with the wicks installed like they show on some of the videos on YouTube just to put it through some REAL stress testing hehe.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I've been twice to the local Sally's to get Cellucotton. The first time I bought the red box cotton salon coil because they were out of Cellucotton. A couple of days ago I went back hoping they were back in stock and they had the huge blue and white box of Cellucotton for around $17, but that was just too much for me to store in the closet.

The employees don't really know when they will get certain items or whether they will ever get the small Cellucotton box. I'm happy with my Kho Gen Do, anyway.

Uncletattoowhat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 21, 2014
Poquoson, VA
I've been twice to the local Sally's to get Cellucotton. The first time I bought the red box cotton salon coil because they were out of Cellucotton. A couple of days ago I went back hoping they were back in stock and they had the huge blue and white box of Cellucotton for around $17, but that was just too much for me to store in the closet.

The employees don't really know when they will get certain items or whether they will ever get the small Cellucotton box. I'm happy with my Kho Gen Do, anyway.

Sounds great. I would prefer if we had Vapers Choice Cotton discussion from here forward please.

Built a 24ga Nichrome80 dual 3mm 8 wrap coil in my fasttech Aeolus clone last night. Wicked with VCC (the abbreviation I will be using from here forward). Flavor is pouring out of this thing today. Now I just await my Mini Haze and Bambino clones to come and become more candidates hehe.

HeiSINberg

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 6, 2013
Groveville, NJ
Sounds great. I would prefer if we had Vapers Choice Cotton discussion from here forward please.

Built a 24ga Nichrome80 dual 3mm 8 wrap coil in my fasttech Aeolus clone last night. Wicked with VCC (the abbreviation I will be using from here forward). Flavor is pouring out of this thing today. Now I just await my Mini Haze and Bambino clones to come and become more candidates hehe.
Thats one of my favorite builds! I just placed my order for the VCC. I hope it doesnt take long to get here but who knows. This stuff is blowing up all over instagram and facebook so that may delay the shipment. I only got the 1 36" that should be sufficient enough for a tester. Cant wait!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread